How lon did it take to finish your first 5k?

Options
124»

Replies

• day213
    day213 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging on the treadmill two and a half weeks ago and signed up for my first 5K this weekend with my 15 year old, very fit, niece. It's in June so I'll have time to really get ready for it and to ensure that she doesn't have to drag her old aunt across the finish. My husband asked me the other day what I ran the mile in high school in. I never ran it...I b!tched, complained and walked!

As a benchmark I ran 3.1 on the treadmill for the first time on Tuesday and ran it in 36.28. I'm hoping to get down to 11 minute miles by race day, but if I don't no biggie. My goal is to just not walk.

I admit that I found the race times from last year and figured where I would be in the pack of 800 runners if I did it today - I'd be in the mid-500's if the same group showed up this year. I'm so good with that.

Best of luck!
  • Ophelia111
    Ophelia111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It was 24:10 for me. This was surprising to me, because my training times were more in the 27-28 minute range. The first race is so much fun and totally exhilarating, so enjoy yourself and have fun!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    21 something. Not 100% sure.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It was 24:10 for me. This was surprising to me, because my training times were more in the 27-28 minute range. The first race is so much fun and totally exhilarating, so enjoy yourself and have fun!

That's a good thing... if you're training pace is faster than your race pace, you're doing it wrong :)
  • Ophelia111
    Ophelia111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Haha, thanks for that! :) I can't wait to start training for a half-marathon... whenever this weather finally gets a little better.
  • Cloudfish
    Cloudfish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first one, just under 38 mins! Slow and steady is the key, don't worry about speed just get there, and if you can, don't stop running. I passed a lot of people walking and it made me feel great :D
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Yep what every one else has been saying...your job is to finish and love it. If it gets the bug in you to keep running youll find that your times will continue to improve each time...

I think my first one was around 38 min...my most recent was 32 min...im going to push for sub 30 this summer.