My wife is KILLING me, please help!

Options
I've always said that I don't have the typical sweet tooth; I have more of a meat tooth. Give me a steak or grilled chicken over a bowl of ice cream any day.

That being said...there are 2 sweets that I have trouble resisting. They are no-bake cookies (some call them chocolate oatmeal cookies) and chocolate covered peanut butter balls.

I don't expect my family to "suffer" by doing without anything b/c I'm trying to lose weight, but for crying out loud! My wife made a DOUBLE BATCH of no-bake cookies this weekend!

I put the ingredients into the recipe tool in my MFP app on my iPhone, then counted how many cookies each batch yields. OMG they have 154 calories EACH and my damn fridge is full of them!!

Needless to say, I have eaten more than one on more than one occassion. Sadly, I have cheated myself out of healthy food that my body needs to lose weight in order to "budget" enough calories eat these demon spawns from hell.

Replies

• Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    haha! :flowerforyou:

try not to worry about it...can't you freeze them? then you'll have to defrost them before eating and they WONT be there "in your face" when you open the fridge!

It is a good test of strength and will power though.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I lloooovvveee no-bake cookies! I could not resist! Yay for you for resisting! =)
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My weakness is homemade rice krispie treats. My family has learned that there are chocolate, caramel, french vanilla, gingerbread, strawberry, toasted coconut . . . you get the picture . . . marshmallows and have been experimenting with each kind. TORTURE!
  • andeeinevansville
    Options
    WOW! That must be hard for you!! Does she support you in your weight loss goals?? My husband is very skinny and he has a sweet tooth..it kills me to make stuff for him cuz it's sooo tempting! Maybe you should tell your wife to make sweets that you don't like so you're not tempted! :D Hang in there and keep your eye on the prize!!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    DO NOT FREEZE THEM!!! I thought that I could resist cookie dough if it was frozen...wow, do those suckers taste good frozen! Not to mention I wrecked a dental retainer thereby shifting my teeth all over the place and now have to wear "invisible" braces at night to correct the problem. :(

Better strategy is to take them to work and share the wealth :)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    WOW! That must be hard for you!! Does she support you in your weight loss goals?? My husband is very skinny and he has a sweet tooth..it kills me to make stuff for him cuz it's sooo tempting! Maybe you should tell your wife to make sweets that you don't like so you're not tempted! :D Hang in there and keep your eye on the prize!!

I agree!!! I am the cook in the house and for the most part whatever I eat my husband eats. If he want's something different then I tell him to eat it on his lunch break. I'm not saying I don't have Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter cups in the house (omg sooo good), but my point is that what's in the house should be low calorie and healthy for the both of us.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I LOVE those dry milk peanut butter chocloate chip balls. that is my super weakness. I am glad my hubby does not bake! I think I could do moderation and work it into my cal intake, but I would definitely not be eating healthy to stay in my limit! He makes thinks like chips and dips and nachos and i have no desire for them. I have to fight the urge to bake myself, but luckily I am more kitchen lazy than I am cravings driven!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I don't expect my family to sacrifice things for me either BUT there is a difference between sacrifice and support. My kids know that tasty morsels are tought for me to resist, so they don't have them here. Thankfully they love things like Rice Krispie treats which I hate.... so I don't mind those hanging around. My husband (when he's here) does go along with everything beause it makes him healthier too. I dunno... I just think that families learn a lot of good "healthy living" ways when they are playing long. Trying telling her it's not exactly helping you a long? Maybe? Otherwise i dunno... Good luck.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I made BOTH of those this weekend for Christmas. :laugh:
  • utamore
    Options
    My gf gets time-of-the-month sweets cravings and will come home with a bag full of candy... Also I was raised, as I suspect many of us were, with a clean-your-plate and let-nothing-go-to-waste type of mentality (enough hyphens!?!?!). Bottom line, you just gotta say no, even if that means most of those darned cookies go bad before going eaten. If wifey really wants the cookies, let her eat them... and then she can join you on MFP when she's ready. As for me, I'm just careful to indulge OCCASIONALLY on ONE oreo cookie or some such. Seems to have worked for me...
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    DO NOT FREEZE THEM!!! I thought that I could resist cookie dough if it was frozen...wow, do those suckers taste good frozen! Not to mention I wrecked a dental retainer thereby shifting my teeth all over the place and now have to wear "invisible" braces at night to correct the problem. :(

Better strategy is to take them to work and share the wealth :)

:laugh: thanks for the correction....

I would be tempted to throw them away...however, if my man had made them for me, it would be rude not to have a cheeky nibble.
  • HRgoldenlife
    HRgoldenlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It is difficult when the entire household is not on board and doing the new diet/lifestyle together. I find it easier when hubby and I do it together. If not, he is complaining that he's not getting enough and I complain that I do not want that stuff in the house.

In your case, I would kindly ask your wife to at least lessen the amount of cookies or number of times she makes these. If the rest of the house is going to eat things you cannot, they can at least do it less, or not leave them for you, etc.

In my case, I just do not buy or cook whatever it is and if I do for hubby or for a party, I try to get it out of the house quickly.

I had a party yesterday and today made hubby take the chocolate cake, bagels and so on to work. He left the cheese danish and egg nog here which I am having a hard time avoiding. It needs to be out of the house!
  • GunNut37086
    GunNut37086 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    In my wife's defense, she can only fix 2 things. One is obviously no-bake cookies and the other is that green stuff with Cool Whip, lime Jello, and crushed pineapple. Otherwise, she's as out of place in the kitchen as a screen door on a submarine.

All I know is that she made over 100 of my favorite cookies they aren't disappearing fast enough to suit me. She took a dozen to work for her friends and the rest will just hang around til her and our teenagers eat them.

I'll quit whining now, but thanks for listening.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Good thing you are not around me! I made choc chip cookies, peanut logs and choc covered PB balls yesterday. He will keep some here, some will be sent to his parents, the rest will go with him to work. I did ok, I had 2 of the cookies. Not overly fond of the super sweet candies myself. I may try to make small batch of peanut logs using splenda instead of confectioners sugar, ground oats instead of graham crackers, and fewer mini choc chips. Wonder how they would taste with almond butter and chopped almonds instead of peanuts? Hmm something to ponder.
  • Jrak1980
    Jrak1980 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    all this cookie talk is making me HUNGRY. lol