Going to give boxing a go - any advice?

Options
My fitness routine is running (when the weather allows) alternated with an hour and a bit of strength training. I am getting results, running further and getting stronger but have decided to up the ante and go to boxing as I understand you get a good cardio and strength workout and really work hard, plus it looks a lot of fun and a great way to get aggression out of the system ;-)

Anyhoo - does anyone have any advice on this (I've found a ladies class locally) and will my basic fitness level be enough?

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You won't know unless you give it a shot. Your experience may not be the same as someone else's.

My friends go to boxing classes at the local Title place where I live. I hear it's pretty intense, but they love it and keep going back.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Punching form is important.....be sure to wrap your hands and wrists properly, especially when working with a heavy bag.

You can also do various drills with a heavy bag, such as 30-30-30 (youtube it).
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - always nice to know a little before I get there. I have a feeling there will be a lot of warm up etc before they even let me loose on a bag! Although I am dying to have a go at that!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    As an instructor certified in kickboxing here's some advice:

Invest in some good gloves and wraps.
    Learn correct form, especially when it comes to your wrists. Nothing worse than hitting a bag with force and having your wrist bend wrong and spraining it while boxing.
    Pace yourself. First instinct for a lot is to work hard and by the time 5 minutes is up, they are too spent to finish class.
    Really focus on learning how to throw a punch with your legs and hips and not just your arms. This takes some time and practice.
    Learn how to breathe correctly. Exert small breaths of air on each strike.

There's more, but that should help to start you off. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I just want to say--GO FOR IT! Lucky you!

I would love to do boxing training. It doesn't fit into my life atm and I've never seen any type of boxing gym where I live, but I'm hoping someday when the kids are all in school that I might find a place to give it a try. I was talking to DH about it this weekend, trying to imagine what it involves: heavy bag, speed bag, jump rope, ??? All good!

eta: one reason I was discussing it with DH is because my weak weak weak shoulders and arms and I was thinking that long punching interval would really help with that. I imagine beautiful shoulders from boxing.
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    I joined the Title Boxing Club 5 weeks ago and I LOVE it! The 15 minutes of warm up, the 30 minutes of boxing and the 15 minutes of ab/core work is AWESOME!! I can already feel a difference in my body!

Enjoy and Good Luck!! :smile:
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As an instructor certified in kickboxing here's some advice:

Invest in some good gloves and wraps.
    Learn correct form, especially when it comes to your wrists. Nothing worse than hitting a bag with force and having your wrist bend wrong and spraining it while boxing.
    Pace yourself. First instinct for a lot is to work hard and by the time 5 minutes is up, they are too spent to finish class.
    Really focus on learning how to throw a punch with your legs and hips and not just your arms. This takes some time and practice.
    Learn how to breathe correctly. Exert small breaths of air on each strike.

There's more, but that should help to start you off. Good luck.

IDEA Fitness member

^This is good advice! I've been boxing for 6 months and love it. The biggest misconception I had was that boxing was more upper body (I run a lot so I was looking for something to complement the lower body) -- in fact, boxing is at least as much about your legs and core as it is about your arms. A class that is more focused on boxing simply for cardio may not be as taxing on your lower body but don't think it's all about arms!

Also... I can run a half marathon but a 3-minute round still absolutely wipes me out. Be prepared to sweat and have fun! :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Only spar with the guys - They'll probably take it easy (you don't have too):smile:

seriously, take it at your pace, as you get more adapted to it your fitness level will increase (along with your ability).

Most boxing clubs will have members of all different ability so you will not be the odd one out.

As big yellow mentioned - get your technique right. Power and speed come last - good form always comes first.

Best bit of advice - Enjoy it - its fun!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    I just want to say--GO FOR IT! Lucky you!

I would love to do boxing training. It doesn't fit into my life atm and I've never seen any type of boxing gym where I live, but I'm hoping someday when the kids are all in school that I might find a place to give it a try. I was talking to DH about it this weekend, trying to imagine what it involves: heavy bag, speed bag, jump rope, ??? All good!

eta: one reason I was discussing it with DH is because my weak weak weak shoulders and arms and I was thinking that long punching interval would really help with that. I imagine beautiful shoulders from boxing.
    Not only that but the impacting on the bag helps to strengthen bones and increase their density. A plus against osteoporosis.

IDEA Fitness member
  • hazeljordan1974
    Options
    Thank you all - gives me something to go on before I go. Pretty nervous but excited too! :-)
  • hazeljordan1974
    Options
    It was awesome! I know I will feel it in the morning (my arms are already feeling a little sore!), such a great fun work out - I am so going back next week - I think this will take my fitness to another level! :-)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Glad you had fun???? did you get to hit someone?
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    <<<jealous.:tongue::wink: jk

Seriously, though, that's great! Keep it up! :smile:

It was awesome! I know I will feel it in the morning (my arms are already feeling a little sore!), such a great fun work out - I am so going back next week - I think this will take my fitness to another level! :-)
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    try not to get hit in the face
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I started kickboxing 3 nights a week about 5 months ago and I absolutely love it! I call it my therapy. It is cardio, strength training, anger management, stress relief all in one. If the instructor knows their stuff they will be monitoring and teaching proper form. Listen to your body and enjoy!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you take some pictures of yourself. Fighting, I do krav maga, seems to have created some additional definition in my shoulders and back above and beyond what I get/got from doing heavy lifting. I seriously love my martial arts class. Definitely think about rotating your entire body and snapping that hand out right at the end, and BREATHE!
  • hazeljordan1974
    Options
    Thanks all!
    I started kickboxing 3 nights a week about 5 months ago and I absolutely love it! I call it my therapy. It is cardio, strength training, anger management, stress relief all in one. If the instructor knows their stuff they will be monitoring and teaching proper form. Listen to your body and enjoy!

You are so right! The anger management and stress relief was second to none - I really felt in my body and not in my mind.