Fast walk/jog vs elliptical

arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
I am having a big issue with calories burned on elliptical vs walk/jog. I was burning 335 cals for 30 min on elip, but only 135 for walk./jog :sad: :sad: ( per MFP )

Doesnt make sense. My heart rate was HIGHER walk/jogging and I certainly felt like i was working harder.:grumble:

Anyone have comments? :noway:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    I am having a big issue with calories burned on elliptical vs walk/jog. I was burning 335 cals for 30 min on elip, but only 135 for walk./jog :sad: :sad: ( per MFP )

Doesnt make sense. My heart rate was HIGHER walk/jogging and I certainly felt like i was working harder.:grumble:

Anyone have comments? :noway:
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    I've wondered the same thing b/c that happens to me too. I'm not sure exactly why you burn more calories on the elliptical than walking or jogging...I always feel like I do more when I'm on the treadmill anyways.
  • agralston
    agralston Posts: 31
    Check out this site

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

There is also an equation you can use but I cant remember the name. I'll get back to you on that
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    I use to jog on the Treadmill until I got braecitis (sp?), so I switched to the Elliptical. I read an article on the internet-I can't remember where-but the idea was you are working harder on the Elliptical and not feeling it as opposed to the Treadmill. It had something to do with the range of motion on the Elliptical...perhaps someone knows the mechanics of it?

I prefer the Elliptical, because it is easier on my hip (where I got the braecitis), it is more interesting (for me anyway-I like how I can vary the programs), and I noticed that the people (at my gym) with the more fit bodies were using the Elliptical more than the Treadmill. I guess the last bit is a little shallow; however, I have noticed a more significant gain in strength since I switched from the Treadmill to the Elliptical. :happy:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    The best investment I've made in this journey is buying my Polar F6 heart rate monitor. It makes a HUGE difference to see what you arw actually burning rather than what a gym machine calculator or mfp says.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Do you notice a large difference between what the machine at the gym says and what your Polar F6 heart rate monitor says?
  • arewethereyet
    Thanks for everyones input. I bought a heart rate monitor after reading one of the threads on here. I wear it when I do laundry and call out the numbers to my husband!

Hey honey your jeans just gave me a piece of cheese tonight!!

My heart rate is higher when walk/jogging but the ellip says I burn more.

Thanks ag for the web site too, I will go look it up.

I actually did a 15 minute mile...a first for me! :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    I just went to that web site and I see why I havent lost weight in 2 wks. MFP is giving me 333 for 30 minutes when it is more like 150. :noway: :noway: Sooooooo I have been eating my exercise cals and well...:frown: :embarassed:

Ok so I am going to set my own up in my file that way I am logging the correct cals burned.

thanks again AG!!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    i really want that butterfly covering the 151 from my view!!:sick:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Hey, I read somewhere that a good way to get a more accurate calorie burned reading on any machine is, first..when it asks for your weight, put a weight about 5 lbs less than you are...and then when you are done, subtract about 10% off the final number. That is what I usually do. I never eat ALL my exercise calories back anyway, but try to get my net calories at a safe level.
  • arewethereyet
    Well you are the expert! One Hundred and Two pounds lost!?!? That is a beautiful miracle. And to think in all that your baby has learned a thing or two

I will check that out the next ellip trip :laugh:

Does the polar 6 hrm give you cals burned too? and log it for the week and such?
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member

Does the polar 6 hrm give you cals burned too? and log it for the week and such?

Yep!! I love it!
  • I think the elliptical vastly overestimates the amount of calories you're burning. If you don't feel like you're working out hard (and your heart rate monitor is confirming that), you're not.

I saw results much, much faster by not just using the elliptical. I used to hate running but now I swear by the walk 3 minutes, jog 4 minutes formula (increasing the amount of time running as I got more endurance). Walking at a slight incline during the walking phases kept my heart rate high but gave me enough of a break so that I didn't tire out so quickly during the jogging portions. After a month of working out 4-5 times a week on the treadmill (for usually about 45 minutes at a time, though that includes a 10 minute walking cool down and 5 minute walking warm up) I had lost 5 pounds and my legs had never looked better. Working out on the elliptical has never done that for me.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664

:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    I think the elliptical vastly overestimates the amount of calories you're burning. If you don't feel like you're working out hard (and your heart rate monitor is confirming that), you're not.

I saw results much, much faster by not just using the elliptical. I used to hate running but now I swear by the walk 3 minutes, jog 4 minutes formula (increasing the amount of time running as I got more endurance). Walking at a slight incline during the walking phases kept my heart rate high but gave me enough of a break so that I didn't tire out so quickly during the jogging portions. After a month of working out 4-5 times a week on the treadmill (for usually about 45 minutes at a time, though that includes a 10 minute walking cool down and 5 minute walking warm up) I had lost 5 pounds and my legs had never looked better. Working out on the elliptical has never done that for me.

Thanks. I have started on walk then jog. I have NEVER ran or jogged so I am working my way up. 4 minutes is like and hour to me!! I jog until my heart rate is 158-160 then walk really really fast. I
    I beat my record and did 1 mile in 15 minutes! Yeah Me! I saw the 1 mile mark coming and ran like i missed the bus. I know people were looking at me like, whats wrong with that lady!

I am amazed at what i CAN do. I have focused for so long on what i cant.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member

:laugh:

<Going to gather up some laundry...Oh wait...I thought that said cheesecake...:grumble: >