Just Starting Out - Overwhelmed

Options
I am feeling overwhelmed with the 50-70lbs I would like to lose. What are some reasonable goals to help me stay on track/stay motivated?

Ex: Lose 10lbs per month as a goal instead of my generic "I have 50lbs to lose"

Thoughts? Tips? Encouragement!

(I have two kiddos under 5 and work full time - could really use some handy tips on squeezing in workouts at home. Any DVD's you would recommend?)

Also have a family member's wedding coming up at end of April - would it be reasonable to set a goal to be down 20lbs by then, even 20 seems overwhelming.

Replies

• Brookster385
    Brookster385 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I felt the same but even the first pound or two is enough to get you motivated. I've set myself mini goals and put them in my diary so it's something to aim towards and this helps me to visualise my end goal as a series of steps rather than one big leap :-)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do not know where you live, if UK, try & think stones, so half a stone lost, one stone lost etc

My goal was 5 stones, only a pound more & I made it, same as you can
  • MaryB73189
    MaryB73189 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Something that really helped me was focusing on my nutrition first. Getting into the habit of using MFP and eating better was a really big hurdle. For the first few weeks, that was all I did, and the weight began to come off. Once I saw that the scale was moving it was a big motivation, and then I joined my local Jazzercise center, morning classes work great for me being at home all day with a toddler. But most centers offer night classes too. They also have DVDs available! They can be expensive to buy, but I had checked before and came to find that my local library had quite a selection available to rent!

Good Luck!
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    What helps me is not focusing on what I have left to lose but what I have already lost. I have the bigger picture in mind but I'm focusing on the components, I've lost x amount of pounds, I've lost x amount of inches, I have more energy, My close friends are starting to notice my progress, etc.

This whole process is overwhelming and that's okay. It didn't take you a week to gain the weight and you won't lose it in a week either. Just keep calm and focus on the pieces and not the whole puzzle. Good Luck and best wishes!!
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I watched the weight, but made my immediate goal the daily deficit.

If your goal is "eat 250/500/750/1000 calories less than I burn today," every day, the weight will take care of itself.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i had set small goals for myself. some were an actual weight. some were getting to fit in a certain size. some were getting back to the weight i was at a particular time in my life. i had given my self some rewards as i went....not food based!! lol I did tattoos for certain goals. My final goal, I'm getting a cupcake tattoo on my inner right wrist with 370 written under it. so everytime i try to lift food to my mouth, i will remember that bad food choices and poor health habits got me to that weight, so put down the cupcake or work to burn it off lol
  • mcmainsk
    mcmainsk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    RE: the workout part - there are some great and FREE fitness classes online (Fitnessblender.com is one) and some great free apps as well (I like Hot5). That way you can work out when you have a few minutes. Sometimes I can only squeeze in 5 mins here and 10 mins there, but at the end of the day, I feel good, because I tried to move as much as I could all day long. I agree with Mary - start with nutrition; get a good feel for what you eat, keep track of everything, try to eat as clean and whole as possible and over time, you won't want the bad foods and you'll be more motivated to exercise too. Good luck! You can do it!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I agree with setting goals of what you do, something you can control, rather than how much you lose. You can celebrate how much you lost, but don't set a time or date to that. Generally this makes you happier no matter how quickly or slowly you lose.

Good goals:
    -- 1/2 hour exercise every day, whether it's a yoga DVD (or checkout youtube), a brisk walk outside, a run, a bike ride, some strength training, or stretching, or a combination of things. It doesn't have to be one time, you can do three 10 minute workouts.
    -- Eat between xxxx calories and yyyy calories every day. Give yourself a minimum, 1200 works for that, and a maximum, maybe what MFP suggests for 1 lb or 0.5 lb loss per week, plus exercise if you put sedentary, or even your maintanence calories and eat between them every day.

Do that for a month and see where you are, what you ate, how much you exercised, and how much you lost and then readjust your goals. That works really well.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    here:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this could help.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    START SMALL.

-Make mini goals (drinking one soda a day versus 3 or 4)

-Track your calories and be honest with yourself about what you are eating

-Weight and measure your foods (6oz of chicken versus what you think is 6oz of chicken can be an eye opener)

-Don't feel like jumping into a hardcore workout routine? Just walk. Start with 20 minutes a day and in two weeks go to 30 minutes, so on and so forth.

-If you do feel like looking for a good workout routine but don't want a gym membership there are plenty of great beginner workout programs out there. Look at Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, Slim in 6, Power 90, even Shaun T's Focus T25 is great for beginners.

-Don't buy into the big weight loss scandals. Weight loss is simply eating less calories and moving more. If you read the "Success Stories" posts you will find out a lot of the great stories started small, ate less, moved more and ramped up their intensity levels over time.

-Stay consistent and don't be afraid of failure. So what if you messed up for 3 days in a row on your diet, don't let a day or two of letting loose or feeling like you screwed up stop you. Weight loss is a journey and takes time. Losing weight quickly and expecting dramatic changes in a month or two will do nothing but cause a yo-yo weight loss / weight gain effect.
  • katiefbe
    katiefbe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I flip my goals to keep myself interested e.g. my first goal was to get my BMI under 30, then it was to lose half a stone (7lbs) then it was to get my weight under 80kg etc etc.

By constantly changing the goal from BMI, body fat, stones, lbs, kgs there is always a goal just within reach and I remain motivated.

Other things I keep track of are inches lost (essential for when the scale doesn't seem to change), clothing size (nothing like dropping a dress size to make you feel good) and how far can I run at the gym.

You've already done the hardest part in deciding to start, the rest will work itself out. Good luck
  • cgm2
    cgm2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am only a few weeks ahead of you but I also have two kids under 5! It can be challenging but use this community as much as possible to keep you motivated. I am focusing only on the month of March for now. All I want to do is to loose weight every week in March (even if it is 0.1 lbs a week!). I am creating a new lifestyle and new habits. I also use the 10 minute workouts from FitSugar a lot and do some weights. I will send you a friend request and hopefully we can support each other!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I am feeling overwhelmed with the 50-70lbs I would like to lose. What are some reasonable goals to help me stay on track/stay motivated?

Ex: Lose 10lbs per month as a goal instead of my generic "I have 50lbs to lose"

Thoughts? Tips? Encouragement!

(I have two kiddos under 5 and work full time - could really use some handy tips on squeezing in workouts at home. Any DVD's you would recommend?)

Also have a family member's wedding coming up at end of April - would it be reasonable to set a goal to be down 20lbs by then, even 20 seems overwhelming.

20 lbs in 2 months is quite aggressive. Many people are motivated by setting weight loss goals, but I think that some people get discouraged ( and often quit ) when they don't reach them. I believe it's equally important to keep your focus on the task, and the goal will come soon enough.

The best place to start, is here Down-Arrow.png

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

You could also check the adopt-a-noob thread for a mentor.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161976-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread?hl=adopt

Please follow the instructions in the first post. Don't create your own post, looking for a mentor, that's not how it works. :wink:
    There are quite a few experienced MFP's who have offered their services later on in the thread. Starting from the last page or so, might speed up your search.
  • smithem65
    Options
    I can sympathize with you. Actually I'm beginning my 6th week. My first week was concentrated on eating within my calories. My second week I started walking at least 20 minutes. Now on my 6th week, I have learned for me that waking up earlier in the morning works for me. I've increased my workouts to 30 minutes with at least another 15 minutes doing strength exercises. Walking is my staple workout (thank god for the treadmill). But, I've also tried several workout tapes and so far I really like the "Biggest Loser Cardio Max". My goals are much smaller than yours. My goals are 5 pounds a month. I tend to lose inches first before I lose the weight, even better. My clothes fit better and I have so much more energy.My goal is to lose at least 30 by the end of June. Good luck!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck

And everything trogalicious says / said.....
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP --- I made sure I stayed within my daily calorie intake with no exercise and I was able to lose 1 pound a week. After a while, I gradually added exercise a bit at a time. Like a 15 minute walk or 15 minutes on the exercise bike and increased my exercise a little at a time. Just remember -- it took you a while to gain that weight, it's going to take you a while to lose it. It feels like yesterday when I started on MFP but now it's 8 months later and 56 pounds less! :bigsmile: Be realistic about what you want to do for exercise and what you want to eat -- it should be things you enjoy... where you don't feel like you're being forced because you will quit if you are miserable. I eat what I want... but eat more healthier things... I take spin classes because I love it and look forward to it. Good luck! :wink:
  • Laur226
    Laur226 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great point about being patient taking off the weight since it didn't take me a week to put it all on (thank goodness!)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    here:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this could help.

+1...Definitely the above.

Take things as they come. 1 day at a time.
    It's about moderation not deprivation.
    I reward myself every 20 lbs I lose. Maybe you should reward yourself every X# of lbs. It can be a movie, buying yourself something special, doing something just for you.
  • bobbilum
    bobbilum Posts: 55
    Options
    here:

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

this could help.

This is about the best advice I've seen yet!

TBPH, when I started, my goal wasn't about weight, it was about trying to track my intake and exercise to see if I could control my T2 diabetes without medication. While the scale helped keep me honest about how much I ate, I was more invested in tracking my blood glucose, and that quarterly A1C test. Then once there, proving to the doc that I could maintain it The weight just sloughed off as a side benefit. Then the goal was to increase my exercise, slowly.
    My total journey so far (since diagnosis) has been 3 1/2 years. Weight loss, probably about 80-90 lbs (including the 25 or so that I lost as a symptom of the undiagnosed diabetes).

I still don't think much about the weight I've lost. I think more about the choices I make for my long term health. I've embraced kale. I do planking. And I still get kind of flustered and embarrassed when someone mentions my weight loss.

I am much more proud of my changes in attitude. That I like having my feet, eyes and kidneys. And that I have chucked about half the scripts I was taking (and one more will probably be discontinued next time!)

This is the first time I've maintained a significant loss for this length of time. It's also the first time that my goal wasn't how much I had to lose. It was about how much I had to gain.
    Wishing you the same kind of discovery!
  • Laur226
    Laur226 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, so encouraged. Thank you Thank you!

My New Goals:
    -Get a food scale
    - Walk for 20-30 min 3x's
    - Make peace with giving up soda (even diet soda)
    - Tell myself, I can do this, because....I CAN do this.

So happy to have you all!