Best Food Scale

Options
Good Morning All, :happy:

I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on the food scales that you use. Is there one that you love and would recommend? Also where can I purchase it?

Thanks in advance!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• tsahaikmala
    Options
    Also, feel free to add me! I am looking for some active user. :smooched:
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS8E2PW/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one. I love it! Pretty cheap and reliable for just $15.

ETA- it's the Epica Accupro digital kitchen scale.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Digital-Kitchen-Tempered/dp/B003MSZBSI/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1393862748&sr=1-2&keywords=ozeri+scale

My recommendation: go to Amazon, do a search for food scales, sort by 4 stars and higher, and pick one you like the look of.

Make sure that it has a tare [zero] function, and that it will measure across multiple units (ounces, fluid ounces, grams, mL, etc)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get one that measures both ounces and grams and has the tare feature.

I own a Taylor model 3831BL (BL stands for the Biggest Loser), and I bought it from Amazon.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have an OXO food scale I picked up from Kohls. I think I paid about $20 for it.

When I got my scale, it was a few years ago, and I was using it for measuring weight for postage (helps to know that 1 ounce cutoff for when you need another stamp).
    Recently, I occasionally use it for weighing food. It supports ounces or grams, has tare function and operates quickly with 5 pound limit. Incidentally, regarding the tare feature, it will auto-zero as well if you start with a bowl or other container on it before turning it on. This is usually how I measure my cereal. Use of standard batteries (2 AAA) is nice, and so far I haven't had to replace them. Another nice feature (more for postage then food) is the fact that the display can be pulled out a few inches, which I guess is handy if you have a large mixing bowl.

This is the scale on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-5-Pound-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B0020L6T7K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393863315&sr=8-2&keywords=oxo+kitchen+scales
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, get the tare feature. Really helps when assembly various ingredients for a recipe. I have one from pampered chef which I like - except I don't remember if it has the zero feature to use after putting a container on the scale. I keep that one a work, so i usually am just weighing one thing on a papertowel.

The one at home is a fairly new weight watchers one and it does zero, but doesn't have the tare feature( I think). It was cheaper than the Pampered Chef one which is why I leave it at home. My husband is hard on my food scales. He thinks it is ok to store dishes on top of them which eventually screw with the accuracy. \

Defintiely look for tare, zero and switchable grams and Oz. More and more companies are giving serving sizes just in grams. I finally forced myself to learn 28g = 1 oz. Oh yes... and a removeable for cleaning weigh plate. No matter how hard you try, eventually you will spill something :)
  • threshkreen
    Options
    Well, I just read the above posts and learned that tare = zero feature. Never really thought of that, but the way it operates I guess it does. Silly me. Amazon is ALWAYS the way to go as far as I am concerned. Especially if you have Prime...free 2 day shipping -almost instant gratification on line!
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I bought a relatively inexpensive one at Target with a glass plate that is easy to clean. If I were to buy another one, I'd look for one with a memory function; at least like a calculator that stores the last value.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Well, I just read the above posts and learned that tare = zero feature. Never really thought of that, but the way it operates I guess it does. Silly me. Amazon is ALWAYS the way to go as far as I am concerned. Especially if you have Prime...free 2 day shipping -almost instant gratification on line!

Tare weight is the weight of an empty container (or transport vehicle), so a tare button is basically a "set zero" button.
  • tatecass
    tatecass Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor scale, it has so many features, and I love it! It can weigh in ounces, grams, fluid ounces, pounds, and millileters. It also has the ability to enter a "food code" that will automatically tell you what the calories, sodium, protein, fat, carbs, cholesterol, and fiber of an item is. For instance, you can put in food code 123 for chicken breast, put your chicken breast on the scale, and it will come back with all the nutritional value of the weight of chicken breast you have on the scale. It also has a zero function, a memory function (to remember frequently used codes as well as the last thing weighed). The scales are $15.99 on Amazon, and they come in a variety of colors (black, pink, red, etc).

I highly recommend! :)
  • jessizai07
    Options
    composition book!
  • tsahaikmala
    Options
    This can weigh my food?! -___-
  • tsahaikmala
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!

I have gotten some really great responses. I am going to check these out and let you guys know how which one I choose and how I like it!
  • jessizai07
    Options
    This was joke! ha .. ha .. eeek
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love my Pampered Chef scale, a little on the pricey side...but it is awesome!
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes, get the tare feature. Really helps when assembly various ingredients for a recipe. I have one from pampered chef which I like - except I don't remember if it has the zero feature to use after putting a container on the scale. I keep that one a work, so i usually am just weighing one thing on a papertowel.

Just an FYI, it does have the tare feature :).
  • threshkreen
    Options
    Yup..;..sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. I knew what tare was, but it never occurred to me that it was the same as zero. Don't ask why, sometimes I am too literal. If it doesn't have it labeled, it must not exist. .

This habit can really frustrate people around me sometimes. I tell them it is just part of my charm. I am glad I read this thread because now I know! Gives my Pampered Chef scale a whole new functionality! HAHAHAHA.
  • nomadic_frau
    nomadic_frau Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love the Kitrics Digital Nutrition Scale I bought off Amazon. I have had it a year now and it's fantastic and really accurate, just like the description indicates.The food code book that comes with it is also really helpful. Here's the link. It's a little pricey to some of the other models, but if you're on MFP, then you probably want something like this anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U67EI0/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0