biking etiquette

Options

Replies

• SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ok....I guess I get that I shouldn't be on the sidewalk. It's just that in one week, I heard news stories about 5 people getting hit by cars on their bikes. I live in a very populated area. I will check to see if there are bike paths nearby. On Sundays I ride around this one commercial area that has almost zero traffic on Sunday and that is really nice.

Thanks for your help!

I work in an area with a lot of cyclists, and accidents like these usually occur because the people on bikes weren't following traffic laws. It is SO frustrating to watch cyclists blow through stop lights or ignore stop signs, etc. Be sure to follow all rules of the road (as if you were in a car) and you should be totally fine.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that if you are biking on the sidewalk (ignoring the ethical / legal issues of whether you should be using it), and you can't get a response from the person you are approaching, the polite thing to do is slow down substantially or stop altogether until you can safely get around them. Just continuing at full speed and hoping they don't jump in front of you is rude and dangerous.

I experience this problem occasionally while running - you have people daydreaming and weaving back and forth or a group walking 3-4 across and totally blocking the sidewalk. After I yell several times, I eventually slow down to their pace while trying to get their attention, and then start running when they allow me to pass.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you live. Where I live I can go on a 7 mile bike ride on the sidewalk and encounter 2 pedestrians and 1000 cars. I would rather ride on the sidewalk and have to go around the 2 pedestrians than try to navigate the road with 999 people on their cell phones texting. For my safety.

Riding on sidewalks is not recommended for the reasons you've found out. Paths are fine, and you should pass on the left as you tried to do. Otherwise, I suggest riding in the street for your safety and those around you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you live. Where I live I can go on a 7 mile bike ride on the sidewalk and encounter 2 pedestrians and 1000 cars. I would rather ride on the sidewalk and have to go around the 2 pedestrians than try to navigate the road with 999 people on their cell phones texting. For my safety.

Riding on sidewalks is not recommended for the reasons you've found out. Paths are fine, and you should pass on the left as you tried to do. Otherwise, I suggest riding in the street for your safety and those around you.
    And if you do that, keep in mind that you are in the wrong and the pedestrians have the right of way.

I have been nearly mowed down on the sidewalk by people on bikes who don't think they need to move for the pedestrian as they ride right down the middle at full speed.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Get a bell! I love riding my bike, but sometimes I feel like the bell is the only thing people listen to. If it's a pretty bike-friendly area, runners/walkers should be used to hearing a bike bell and getting over. (Quite honestly if she was smack dab in the middle of the path, she probably wasn't practicing the best etiquette either.)
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Ye who has the longest lance gets the right of way.
    joust.gif
  • Bosbes
    Bosbes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In the Netherlands every cyclist is obligated to have this on his bicycle: BLWS.jpg
    It makes a high noise, so most people will hear it. I don't know if they will understand what you mean by it.
  • MichaelForgets
    MichaelForgets Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Around here, it's mandated that bicycles have a working "signaling device" (such as a bell, horn, what-not).

Of course, not everyone does have one.

The advantage of having one is that they produce a sound that is distinct and uniquely different than the spoken voice. They can often cut through the sound of music on headphones, particularly the high-pitched bells.

I have, and use, a bell. 90% of my bike commute is on a shared pathway in a major tourist city, and near the downtown core the path density can be extremely variable, and not everyone will be English-speaking.

And on that note, I can't wait for the snow to melt. We're still in a deep freeze, and biking weather is looking to be a good two and a half months away :( Great cardio, and I can save on the cost of a bus pass!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If it has wheels, which a bicycle does, it is considered a vehicle and must obey all the same traffic laws as a motorized vehicle, including staying off of the sidewalks. The only exception is that a bicycle is allowed to travel in the shoulder/break down lane and a car is not.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

And if you do that, keep in mind that you are in the wrong and the pedestrians have the right of way.

I have been nearly mowed down on the sidewalk by people on bikes who don't think they need to move for the pedestrian as they ride right down the middle at full speed.

I have never had any complaints or even dirty looks. I just go around pedestrians after slowing down. Never came close to hitting one or even being within touching distance of one - I give a wide berth. However the one time I was in the road because I was giving room for a pedestrian the cars speeding by at 45-50 were closer to me than I was to the pedestrian.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    please don't be rude to runners, please.
  • MichaelForgets
    MichaelForgets Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Funny. Four posts at exactly 11:34 stating "get a bell" :)
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Here's my logical thought on bicyclists...
    1. if you hit a person while you're on your bike, it's going to hurt.
    2. If a car hits you while you're on your bike, it's going to seriously injure/kill you.
    >> Prefer pain to death. If there's no bike lane, sidwalk is safer.

that being said, as some have pointed out, it can actually be illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk. If this is the case, or if you feel it more convenient/appropriate to bike in the street, OBEY THE LAWS OF TRAFFIC as if you were a vehicle. For some reason, cyclists in my area think they're allowed to run stop signs, ignore yields, and weave in and out of slower moving traffic.

From a personal view, if you obey the rules of traffic, I don't root for horrible things to happen to you. But if you blow through that four way stop...
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Check YOUR city/ county/state cycling bylaws and recommendation. Maybe it is different in the US, but in Canada cycling legislation regards to sidewalks is pretty much local jurisdiction, and what is ok in one city may not be allowed in an other city and vica versa. You may or may not allowed to ride on the sidewalk, you have to check it for yourself. In my city there is over 300 km shared sidewalk. I only bike from April to October due to he weather, but I ride 90% on (shared) sidewalk totally legally.. One of the major shared sideway/pathway route goes near to my house and goes to the university and that is my main commute route. Usually these types of shared pathways/sidewalks are wider than normal sidewalk and they are clearly marked for bike use.
    Most cities issue yearly updated bicycle maps, which usually color coded and tell you exactly where you are allowed to bike.

Here you also legally obligated to have a bell on your bike, and you supposed to use your bell to tell pedestrian that you are coming.

I never heard about yelling things like passing on your left. I know mysleft if I somebody surprises me with yelling that something on my left, I would go to my left assuming that what he want me to do.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Biking is a really big thing here in the Twin Cities where I live. Most people will give the courtesy "On your left" notification as they approach. The people who are actively aware of their surroundings will move over. Others who are not will dumbly look at you or continue on their oblivious way. I do not listen to music when I'm riding because you need to be aware of your surroundings, whether it's biking on the trails or biking on the street. I just feel safer when I have no distractions.

People also have little bells that they will ring because that is heard more clearly than someone speaking.
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Google Maps has a link you can select that shows all of the trails, bike lanes and bicycle friendly roads in your area. I recommend you study it carefully and select routes that keep you safe. I am sure you can find some great trails to ride along. That's a far better option than dodging texting adults, sniffing dogs and wayward kids!!

I cycle a lot and try to avoid sidewalks as much as I can; even on the shared paths people wander around totally oblivious to everyone else around them. Sidewalks are even worse.

Ride safe.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to bicycling myself. So take my "advice" with a grain of salt. But in my area, there are NOT a ton of cyclists on the road and the sidewalks are considered perfectly ok to ride on for adults OR children. In fact the majority of sidewalk traffic IS cyclists in my smallish city. This makes me think it really varies by area.

Honestly if you rode a bike in the street along with cars in my area, people would be honking at you and staring. Sadly, the "norm" here is to drive a gigantic SUV and drive 15-20 miles over the posted limit.

When I am on city sidewalks here, I know that people in my area are NOT accustomed to sharing the road/sidewalk/etc and I immediately dismount and walk around them 99% of the time. On bike/walking trails I call out "on your left" or "on your right" (if left is absolutely not possible) and most pedestrians seem to know what that means, but occasionally some older lady will act all stunned/angry and give me a dirty look (even though I'm like 8+ feet away on the opposite side of the wide path).
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    In my town, you have to ride on the road unless it was a major road (and I live near both CT 341 and Route 7) So the only way I can ride my bike on the road is on the residential streets.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    In my area, there are many designated bike lanes and I use them. There is a 1/2 mile stretch of my normal bike route (20 or so miles all told) where it is not safe to ride in the road without a bike lane or on the bike trail. I ride on the wide sidewalk for that short stretch. (the sidewalk was widened to allow for bike traffic)

Florida law, just an example that seems to be popping up in this thread, is that adult bikes stay on the road UNLESS it is clearly unsafe, but "clearly unsafe" isn't defined. That law changed in 2011 to allow for some sidewalk riding in heavily congested areas. You should read up on the laws of your state.

As for your situation, OP, whatever you do that doesn't hit the pedestrian or biking child is the proper approach. If you can bike in the road, do so. If you can't do so safely, then use extreme caution because they have the right of way at all times.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You don't have the right to use the sidewalk where I live.