How do you distract yourself?

Options
How do you distract yourself from the hunger while still being productive? (At work, school etc.)

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just let it happen. It's the only way I'll get used to it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't have random bouts of true blue hunger, honestly. I am currently at 1,320 cal before exercise (and 1-2 days a week do not exercise) but it just hasn't been an issue.

Right now I'm a bit hungry but I just tell myself "an hour and fifteen minutes until lunch". Then busy myself with work or even MFP posts etc.

In the afternoon at work sometimes out of boredom and/or stress I'll crave chocolate and I usually curb that by having a cup of tea.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Good question. I think there are people for which this is a bigger problem than others. For example, me. Good for you if you don't get hungry or can just ignore it, but I don't know how to make that happen!
  • misshalll
    misshalll Posts: 31
    Options
    Have a cup of tea or coffee... browse pinterest, work more, tell myself "its ok, you genuinely won't die" (sometimes i'm so lame I think I might!) ...I write stuff on these message boards, look at new clothes i'd like to fit into and generally try to be more productive.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Knit, read, go for a walk, play games on my iPad, remind myself over and over that it's temporary and won't kill me.

Also, making sure you get enough proteins and fats helps stave off hunger, and water.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    you only have a 1200 calorie goal.

You put in the wrong information when you signed up.

Change your goal, then you'll be able to actually eat... instead of trying to distract yourself from the fact that you're starving.
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water, it fills up my stomach and then i feel ful until im ready for an actual meal or healthy snack.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if I'm truly hungry I need to eat. And if it's not a meal time I try to grab something small, like half a serving of almonds to start and then gauge my hunger after that.

If I want to eat because I'm bored and think I'm hungry then I get up, go for a walk, get some tea, just do something different than what I was doing when I was thinking about doing.

If you are on lower calories for whatever reason, you need to make sure your choices are nutrition dense foods. Tons of lean protein, vegetables, etc to keep you filled up and going.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile. So you are twenty, a healthy weight, and just want to lose five pounds?

Quit eating at a deficit then, eat at maintenance and exercise more. It won't be quick. Weight loss when you don't have much to lose will not be quick,

You want to change your composition, not lose weight. So what you really want is more exercise, not starving yourself which could lead to binging and actually gaining,

I say quit trying to diet and just be more active
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    How do you distract yourself from the hunger while still being productive? (At work, school etc.)

I know that the calories I eat are enough to maintain my body as well as my daily activities. Unless I engage in the kinds of activities that burn extra calories, I know that what feels like hunger is actually not. So I pay no attention to it.
    To be honest, I also don't understand why so many people think that being a little bit hungry is such an awful thing......maybe trying to avoid hunger and with that constant snacking is also one of the reason for the overweight most of us have piled on.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Brewing and drinking really aromatic, tasty tea helps a lot. My current favorite is jasmine white tea.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You have 400 more calories you need to eat today. That 1200 is a minimum (and yours should honestly be set a bit higher).

You are hungry. You don't need distraction, you need sustenance.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Eat.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If you're really hungry, eat. Try having a glass of water, I find that sometimes that hunger pang is just my body needing water.
    If you're hungry but can't get time to have a proper meal just yet try having a healthy snack. If you're having cravings, for me personally, my new thing is sugar free hard candy and mints. I don't have much time to sit down and eat because I'm usually writing, on the phone or driving (so much driving) so I always pack a healthy snack and some meals I can eat while I working or commuting.