Plateaus, protein and broscience?

Options
Hey, MFP!

So far, I've lost 8-ish lbs since January 6th, and I'm glad for that. However, the past 6 days have been really weird. I started a bodyweight workout for arms, legs and core, and have been drinking protein shakes (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey in Double Rich Chocolate) to recoup afterwards and to get myself closer to my protein goal. This is an every other day thing, logged as circuit training in my diary.

Ever since then, the scale has fluctuating from 155.8 (lowest weigh-in) all the way up to 157 this morning. I'm doing really well with water intake, so I'm just baffled. Is this more than likely my body holding onto water to repair the muscles and I should keep going?

Also, my SO told me this morning that just having more protein (i.e. drinking the shakes) would make me heavier, but I feel like that's bro-science, especially as I'm staying within or under my protein goal. I'll open my diary for the next few days.

Stats:

5'3", Female
SW: 164
GW: 115

Let me know if y'all need any more info.

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Listen to your gut on this one. If working out is making you feel good and you feel it's healthy, than it's definitely helping your body. It's common to gain weight while your body holds on to water after working out.

Protein won't make you heavier. That's silly. Eat more protein.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    eating more protien = weight gain is pure broscience in your example.

Check your body measurements (waist, hips, arms, forearms, chest, shoulders, thighs and calves) to see if you are getting movement on those. Even if you weight is static, you could be losing inches in the right areas.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you just started working out (or started a more challenging routine), your body is probably holding on to some water weight. That's totally normal and should go away soon. Drinking protein shakes won't make you heavier -- that's totally just broscience and makes no sense :smile:

You do realize that you're talking about a 1.2 pound fluctuation, right? That's really not significant in the slightest. You can see that kind of fluctuation from day to day without changing anything, so it's nothing to worry about.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What they said ^^

Also, per your diary, your sodium intake was a bit high yesterday, especially compared to what you normally get. Yes the high water intake helps to offset that but sometimes you'll still see a stall or gain for the next few days.

P.S. Congrats on your progress so far! 8ish pounds in 8 weeks is fantastic!
  • moveitserenity
    Options
    Protein making you heavier= broscience. Check. Now to find studies that show that so I can properly inform my SO. :tongue: He's also working to get healthier, so I don't want him to have bad information either.

Yes! I have been measuring, and next Sunday is my next measuring day- I know the inches have gone down because the jeans I was so excited to fit into are now gapping at the back again. I'll be excited to see what the numbers say.

This is a HUGE amount of increase in activity for me. All I was doing before now was walking at stores (mostly Target) because it's been so cold, and counting the days where I spent HOURS on my feet in the kitchen. So to actually be working specific muscle groups, stretching and working with weights is a large step-up. Thanks for pointing that out to me- every pound seems like such a big deal right now because I haven't hit 10 lbs lost yet. -sigh-

Noted on the sodium causing stalling. I'll keep the water intake up (and maybe add some mint leaves because nom! and diuretic capacities). I guess it has really only been 8 weeks, and this starts week 9. That's a pretty healthy rate, and I should keep that in mind before I get upset.

Thank you all very much!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Maybe have him find studies that show protein intake results in weight gain (without a caloric surplus). He's the one making the claim, so he should be the one backing it up.
  • moveitserenity
    Options
    Heh, tried that. That earned me a "But gaining fat and protein are linked!" I

In what study, dear? "I-er. um. the magazines I've read allude to that?" Which would be mostly Men's Health. I just shrugged, and am now intent on finding a study. He knows better than to believe all the things he reads, and yet he loves this magazine because he's lost the weight he wanted with their online program.

I just want to know facts, is all.
  • AliceDark
    Options
    I love when people remember reading something, somewhere. There's usually nothing you can say to counter that!

Your body needs all three macros -- protein, fat and carbs -- to function properly. Everyone has slightly different macro ratios that work best for their individual body, so it can take a little time to figure out how much protein you need to feel the best. None of the three macros are solely and directly linked to fat gain. Gaining fat comes from eating at a surplus.

Protein is valuable for muscle gain or preventing muscle loss while you're eating at a deficit (this is what you need) and it increases satiety (so you feel fuller longer, which is also really important in a deficit). If he likes Men's Health articles, here are a few that talk about the importance of protein, and even mention using protein powder:

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/printer.php
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much-protein-fat-loss-diet-men-7405.html
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Aww you hit the nail on the head! their is so much BROSCIENCE on this site, it's crazy!!!
  • moveitserenity
    Options
    I could HUG you right now. Thank you so much! :flowerforyou:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You started a new workout program. You're probably retaining water. Your boyfriend is full of bro-science. Protein isn't going to make you fat. Eating a calorie surplus of anything will. When people say things like this to me, I take the advice of Skipper the Penguin in Madagascar: "Just smile and wave." Let stupid people say stupid things.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Heh, tried that. That earned me a "But gaining fat and protein are linked!" I

In what study, dear? "I-er. um. the magazines I've read allude to that?" Which would be mostly Men's Health. I just shrugged, and am now intent on finding a study. He knows better than to believe all the things he reads, and yet he loves this magazine because he's lost the weight he wanted with their online program.

I just want to know facts, is all.

Of course gaining fat and protein consumption are linked...if the amount of protein you're consuming puts you in a surplus. Again, he keeps pulling crap out of thin air with no real support. If you want to research the topic for your own benefit, please do so. I wouldn't waste time trying to find counter evidence to a claim he hasn't supported yet.
  • moveitserenity
    Options
    I quietly showed him the articles AliceDark linked me to above, and I got an "Oh. I was wrong. I'm sorry." And then later, it turned into "Hey, how much protein should I have a day?" and a whole discussion about protein, macros, TDEE and BMR.

Yay, learning about nutrition and having a relationship where we can both admit we're wrong sometimes. :blushing:
  • AliceDark
    Options
    Oh, that's awesome! (There are articles that probably explain things much better, btw, those were just the first two I found doing a quick Google search). Sounds like you have a good man :) Mine would totally continue to argue, even if he fully acknowledged I was right, just to be ornery. Love him to death, but my man is stubborn as a mule!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1.2lbs is well within normal variation.
  • eayockey
    eayockey Posts: 8
    Options
    As others have mentioned, a net calorie surplus accounts for weight gain, not protein.
    http://www.foodpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/ProteinWeight.pdf

In theory, excess protein is converted to glucose and stored as body fat, but another study found that in practice, excess protein does not contribute to body fat (if you really need the source I can look harder for it). Also as mentioned, eating protein will spare muscle catabolism on a cut.

tl;dr eat your protein.
    Your body needs all three macros -- protein, fat and carbs -- to function properly. Everyone has slightly different macro ratios that work best for their individual body, so it can take a little time to figure out how much protein you need to feel the best. None of the three macros are solely and directly linked to fat gain. Gaining fat comes from eating at a surplus.

You generally have good advice here, but I'd like to stress that macro ratios have more to do with preferences (which are malleable) than a fixed formula for your body that produces optimal results, especially if you're cutting. The only essential macros are the fat you get from EFAs (essential fatty acids) and protein. This is also the logic that allows PSMFs (protein-sparing modified fasts) to work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    eating more protien = weight gain is pure broscience in your example.

Check your body measurements (waist, hips, arms, forearms, chest, shoulders, thighs and calves) to see if you are getting movement on those. Even if you weight is static, you could be losing inches in the right areas.

Yeah...that doesn't even make sense...particularly when you consider the prevalence of low carb and high protein diets to lose weight.

You're experiencing natural weight fluctuations attributable to water and waste most likely.
  • moveitserenity
    Options
    Thank you for the linked study- I appreciate it very much! So, eat the protein. Don't go over macros. Don't freak over 1.2 lbs.

You all are wonderful. Thank you so much.
  • moveitserenity
    Options
    Also, total broscience as provided by my SO in the example was taught to him in health class in high school. Proof curriculum is not up to date? Check!
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat. Between building muscle and the water that is retained by muscles that are repairing, your weight may plateau while still losing fat. I think I heard that a pound of muscle is about half the size of a pound of fat, so your measurements should be going down while your weight stays the same. This would apply to long term exercise, since it takes time to build muscle. Also keep in mind that if you're weighing yourself daily, you'll see a lot of fluctuation. I personally weigh in once a week, that way I am more likely to see a decline every weigh in instead of the ups and downs that every day weigh ins can bring.