Does anyone else get, "You want to loose more?!"

Options
So I have lost about 40 pounds since starting my journey in January of this year. I went from a size 18 to a 12 and am still trying to loose about 10-15 more pounds, plus tone up. When people see me after a while and hear I'm still trying to loose they all say, "You want to loose more?! You will be too skinny!" I personally feel they are being nice, but after reading the thread on "guys that like heavier girls," I'm wondering if there is some truth behind it. Does anyone else get this type of response?

Replies

• wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    i think that theres nothing wrong with wanting to lose more weight provided it puts you in a healthy BMI and weight for your height and structure. I also think that you should lose the weight for yourself, any man that finds you attractive will step up regardless of how small or big you are. Cheers
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I always get it from women especially ones that knew me at my heaviest.
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    People tell me I don't need to lose weight at all (probably because I'm slimmer than *them* and they feel like I have nothing to worry about), but I'm still overweight, out of shape, and can't wear most of my clothes any more; to me it's just as serious as someone else's situation with morbid obesity. I hate the way I look and feel even if I seem close to normal to other people.

It's all perception. Get into the shape that makes *you* happy and healthy, let other people say what they may.
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    I get that all the time! i've lost 65 lbs so far and want to lose another 10. I think some people are just being nice. But some guys do like thick girls. you gotta have some meat on your bones!! lol. Honestly, I think you should stop when you feel comfortable in your own skin. p.s congrats on losing 40 lbs!!
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    All the time! Specially a friend of my mom....he always tells me "you look great, you don't have to loose anything else...your husband loves you the way you are".... my answer: "I know, I'm not doing it for him, I'm doing it for me ;) "
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was just recently talking to one of my family members on the phone. We live on different continents, so we do not see each other much. Last time he saw me I was at my healthiest weight. I was the most comfortable in my body...( I should say that when he saw me it was years ago, and ever since then I gained 50 pounds, that now I am struggling to get rid off). But when we were talking on the phone, he was telling me that I looked scary skinny and that he is glad that I put on weight, and that I should not lose the weight that I put on....
    I will not listen to him, but I tought it was interesting to hear. I did not think of myself as ver skinny girl, I still had meat on me, but I was at the perfect weight for my height!!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I hear this ALL THE TIME!!! I'm 5'10 and I weigh 162lbs. I want to be in the high 30's or low 40s. That would make me very slim, no room for error. But, that's how i like my body. I want to tone up more than I want to lose weight. I want to look like i workout. ya know? I'm tired of people telling me i'm "already skinny". I know I look good, Im not concerned about losing a ton of weight, but I do want to tone. Yes my body is fine, but I want it to be great.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I get it and I have to raise an eyebrow. I need to drop another 30 pounds. People most times say really? I say, "Yep. But you have not seen me do sprints on the treadmill." slap.gif
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Oh yes I get it often too and the "where's it going to come from?" My big friggen toe people, I don't know If I could spot reduce my wedding ring and shoes wouldn't be falling off of me and my waist would be skinnier. Unfortunatly you are gonna get those comments you just have to be confident in your decision. It's not like me reaching my goal put's me into an un-healthy weight range and it's not even really about the # really it's about starting this journey with a goal in mind, sticking to my plan and following through with reaching my own personal goal. I'm doing this first and foremost. . . for me!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I think that people tend to say things along the lines of "You want to lose more?" because they're worried that you may be headed toward an unhealthy lifestyle. I know that I worry about people when they've made a dramatic change, because I understand that it can be hard for them to necessarily see where they're at.

I've known a lot of people with varying eating problems over the years and it took a lot of work and caring and stuff to keep my ex from slipping back into bulimia.

I would never want to see that happen to someone else.

I never ask someone "You want to lose more?" I simply try to find out what their plan is so that I can know they intend on doing it healthily.
  • amysambora
    Options
    This happened to me this morning. A concerned co-worker approached me and said, "Amy, you've lost even more weight. When are you going to stop? Soon I hope." I assured her I've done it in a healthy way and I haven't been starving myself, and she seemed a little more satisfied with that, but she still looked concerned. I don't know, she's a bigger girl herself so maybe she was just jealous?

I agree with WildFlower7 - it's about sticking to your goals and following through...for YOU! As long as you're being healthy, you should be ok :)
  • jmaskx3
    Options
    I get that at work all of the time. I work at a hospital with a lot of girls who are overweight/not in shape (I'm not knocking you ladies!) but I think a lot of it is because I'm smaller than they are. They think I'm already skinny enough. but they don't see all the rolls hidden under my scrubs!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think Americans are so used to seeing overweight people that we don't have a good concept of what healthy is. A former professor of mine once told the story of how people always commented on how thin her young son was. Concerned, she took him to see the doctor. The doctor's response was that her son was at a perfect weight -- people are just used to seeing kids overweight. I think the same is true for adults. Although there are many reasons, I think one reason people use that phrase is because they don't know what is healthy, and people often judge what is "normal" by what is around us -- but all around us are unhealthy, overweight people. Good for you for choosing to work toward your health, and not just toward the approval of "public opinion."
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I get similar comments. People tell me "You don't need to work out so much. You are thin enough". They don't seem to get that I am thin BECAUSE I work out. When I didn't work out, I was overweight and very out of shape.
    I agree with the notion that Americans are so used to seeing people who are overweight that they don't recognize what a person at a healthy weight looks like. I hope we can change this. It's really time to put an end to the obesity epidemic in this country. Not to mention the fact that if we reduce obesity, we reduce a whole host of other illnesses. Who is up for it?? Message me!
    Risa
  • ChshireKat
    Options
    I haven't gotten that but my sister does, whats funny about it is they said theis when she was just under 300lbs, but they where all men. They said that if she lost much more weight the truckers would stop hitting on her because she would look like jail bait. lol. take it as a compliment, they like your look, and think your perfect.