Walking and Exercise Calories

Options
Morning all.

I realise this has most likely been done to death but I was just hoping you could give me some opinions.

I walk to and from work every day, which is a total of 10-12km (depending on whether or not I make a diversion to the supernarket on the way home).

Up to now, I have been diligently adding this exercise to my diary and trying to eat back most of my exercise calories. Should I perhaps not be classing this walk as "exercise" as it is something I do every day?

Can the body get used to things and build up somewhat of a resistance to it? I get that this probably sounds a bit silly... :blushing:

Should I try not logging my walking and concentrating on just eating back workout calories?

Thanks in advance, and happy Sunday :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set at? I think for a walk of that distance I'd probably log it, unless I'd listed activity level as active, in which case, depending on job and other daily activity, I might not.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your activity level is set to, as the other poster mentioned. I think 6 miles a day would easily classify as "lightly active" and may count as active, although I'm not fluent in MFP to know for sure. :smile:
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    Thanks guys :smile:

I have set it to lightly active (I think).

Up until recently I was also going to the gym 3 times a week doing a mixed cardio/weights programme but I've not been for a couple of weeks due to being away and then having no money. I have an office job so I am sat on my backside most of the day and enjoy the exercise I get from walking (living by the sea helps this!!).
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you are logging some HUGE burns.... are you sure these are accurate? If I were to run that distance I'd only burn around 400... yes I'm lighter, but I'm talking a pace of 6 min kms.

Judge it by your success in achieving your goals.... are you seeing a loss at the speed you want? If not, time to look into crunching those numbers more accurately
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you are logging some HUGE burns.... are you sure these are accurate? If I were to run that distance I'd only burn around 400... yes I'm lighter, but I'm talking a pace of 6 min kms.

Judge it by your success in achieving your goals.... are you seeing a loss at the speed you want? If not, time to look into crunching those numbers more accurately

I do use the MFP numbers and I too thought they were huge. Saying that, I checked it against a number of other calculators and my (albeit rather rubbish) HRM and it seems in the right ballpark. Like I said, I too think it seems too much and don't really get it.

I walk 5.2km there and 5.2km back, sometimes with a deviation to the shop. It takes between 60-75 minutes, normally 60 on the way there and about 75 on the way back.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I too do a 5km walk sometimes.... very hilly and takes me 45 mins. I get a burn of 168 cals with my HRM (polar ft4). This would be lower than the average person because I'm pretty fit and am of a lower body weight as mentioned previously. If I were you, I'd really look into changing those numbers. Honestly, halve them and see what happens to your results over a few weeks... might make the difference! Good luck xx
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    I too do a 5km walk sometimes.... very hilly and takes me 45 mins. I get a burn of 168 cals with my HRM (polar ft4). This would be lower than the average person because I'm pretty fit and am of a lower body weight as mentioned previously. If I were you, I'd really look into changing those numbers. Honestly, halve them and see what happens to your results over a few weeks... might make the difference! Good luck xx

Thanks, I will do that! :flowerforyou:
  • Tangosgrandad
    Tangosgrandad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not sure how accurate it is, but I just started using endomondo app on my phone to log exercise cals. It uses gps to work out your speed over distance for walking, running etc and can be synced to MFP. You might want to give it a try. Good luck to you anyway :smile:
  • atse_
    atse_ Posts: 5
    Options
    perhaps you can pick up pace when you are walking.