Running - Knee injury

Options
KBrenOH
KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
Question: Saturday I ran my long run for the Half training I'm doing for the Flying Pig in May (10.5mi-a new PR distance wise for me). About 8 miles in, my right knee started hurting, and about a mile later, that pain traveled down into my right shin. I was able to finish but as of today, while not the same pain, the knee itself is still nagging at me. I did nothing but relax on the couch the rest of Saturday and Sunday.
Should I try to do the 4 miles I'm "scheduled" for tonight, or give it another day or so of rest. I have another race coming up next weekend that's 9.3mi that I want to be ready for, but not at the expense of screwing up my Half training.
I'm thinking maybe it was just too much mileage wise because my pace was decent at an avg of 10:43/mi, but the longest I ran prior to that was 7mi. and it was a slower pace.. probably 11:30/mi.

Any advise, exercises etc you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Let it heal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sooooooo......half of your leg is hurting and the pain is traveling deeper into your leg.....and your question is should you run 4 miles on your hobbled knee? that is the question, yes?
  • LanceKarcher
    LanceKarcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    See if this sounds like your localization of the pain. I did this from overdoing it.

http://www.methodistorthopedics.com/pes-anserine-bursitis-of-the-knee
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Give it time to Heal, use the RICE method.... Rest, ice, compression, elevation. You know you can run the 4 miles, so taking the time off from that won't hurt you as much. It also depends on where the knee pain is. If its along the outside of the knee it could be from a weakened IT band as a result from slacking on strength training and cross training. It could also be tendinitis ( Ouchies - I have that!) But if you use the RICE method and its not better in a few days, consult a doctor. Also when you do go back to running on it, be careful and don't go full out right away or you may risk further injuring it. One last thing - check your shoes. If they have over 500 miles or are older than 6 months get new ones and make sure you have been properly fitted.
  • Bertie02
    Bertie02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Rest it. I ended up injuring my knee further because I didn't listen to my body when it was telling me to slow down and take a step back. It ended up causing me to have knee surgery and now I'm recovering and barely able to do anything because I don't have the range in my knee yet.

Maybe take it easy by walking/running and see how it does, but listen to your body it will tell you when enough is enough.
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would go see a Dr. I have struggled with all kinds of knee / leg pain and what you are describing does not sound good to me. Definately do not run on it. Schedule an appointment sooner rather than later.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You could be off for a week letting it heal...or a few months because you tried to push it.

Don't run the 4 miles tonight. Realize that you may not be well enough to run your 9.3 this weekend.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    get your knee alignment checked. You may have issues that running has brought to the surface.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    sooooooo......half of your leg is hurting and the pain is traveling deeper into your leg.....and your question is should you run 4 miles on your hobbled knee? that is the question, yes?

No not traveling deeper into the leg at this point, just at the time I was running. :) I see where you went with it though.

My shoes are good -- just got them about a month ago so they've got about 75 miles on them at this point and yes, I love my local running store so was properly fitted. I make them re-check each time.
    I have been slacking on strength training :( I'll try the RICE method and give it a few days. I've already got an appointment scheduled for later this week with the ortho just in case.

I'll google some STR exercises that might help w/ the IT band in case that's the issue.

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Nvmd.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    RICE and foam roller down the entire side of your leg from hip to just below the knee. It'll hurt, sorry, but it's worth it.