HRM vs fitbit?

Options
Hi,
I am thinking of getting a HRM or a fitbit. For those of you who have experience with either or both, what is your opinion? I have been using calorie estimation from myfitness pal and would like more accuracy. Are there certain brands you recommend? Thanks!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Their intended uses are different so it's hard to tell. What are you wanting to measure with the device?
  • cmk9191
    cmk9191 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the fitbit, but I want to know how many calories I've burned with more accuracy.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Wait for the amiigo :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're wanting something to wear around pretty much 24/7 to get a more reasonably decent picture of your daily caloric requirements then a Fitbit would be the way to go.

If you want something to monitor your heart rate and give you a reasonably decent estimate of calorie burn for a given aerobic activity then a HRM would be the way to go. Also, HRMs come in pretty handy for training purposes and working your body in various training zones.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Both!
    I use a fitbit for my everday activity and for my workout's I use my heartrate monitor. If you are a runner then the fitbit may work for you, but I do alot of dancing and the calorie count is off by about 200 calories per hour.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the fitbit, but I want to know how many calories I've burned with more accuracy.

how much you've burned........doing what?
  • cmk9191
    Options
    QUOTE:

Well, its been cold here in Rochester- but I run the elliptical/treadmill and have been working in jillian micheals 30 day shred and ripped in 30 videos here and there.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    FitBit if all you are interested in calories burned.

HRM if you are interested in serious cardio improvement/training.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    QUOTE:

Well, its been cold here in Rochester- but I run the elliptical/treadmill and have been working in jillian micheals 30 day shred and ripped in 30 videos here and there.

I'd go for the heartrate monitor then.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

A FitBit can't help with a treadmill or eliptical. A HRM is good for steady state cardio, so I would advise it for those two. As for DVDs, a HRM is not great, but neither is a FitBit. :ohwell:
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Try the Polar Loop. get a chest starp and you have both. HRM and FitBit device all in one. As for steps it's surpsingly accurate when matched against mypedometer. Pretty close most days.

Just my two cents.....
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've got both

Fitbit gives you a good but general daily cal burn based on your activity, HRM (ones with chest straps, I have an Polar FT4) are good if you want to measure your burns.

Personally I put in sedentary (because of my desk job) and log the cals my HRM gives me for a workout. You cannot wear a HRM all day it is not very accurate for resting cals. My fitbit has turned into a bit of a pedometer for me (plus I got it cheap through work).

Also my fitbit is always getting lost/falling off my belt/been through the washing machine at least once. :/

So basically my pref is HRM xxx
  • Abbie_Thompson
    Abbie_Thompson Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So they are for completely different things.

Fitbit: It is a high-tech pedometer. I just got one and I love it. It let's me know I've been sitting on my butt all day and I need to get up and move around. It still only estimates calories burned similar to MFP. It doesn't take into consideration your heart rate which is the only accurate measure of calories burned.

HRM: These you only wear during your workout. You wouldn't wear the chest strap around 24/7...I mean you could if you really wanted to but I don't know anyone who does.

So, If you are looking for something to monitor your ALL DAY activity go with the Fitbit. If you are looking for something to monitor calories burned during your workout go with a HRM.

A lot of people get both.
  • cmk9191
    Options
    Hmm, thanks guys. I think I might start with a HRM and maybe get a fitbit eventually. I think it would be nice to have both but the HRM would give me more what I am looking for to know how many calories I am burning during my workouts. Particular one that is recommended? I heard the polar from a few of you.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have both and so far am really liking my Fibit One. I've been really successful this past month following the calories in/calories out meter on the fitbit dashboard based on my all day estimated burn. It does an okay job estimating calories if my activity is step based, but if there's any sort of incline or resistance, fitbit doesn't know the difference. I rely on my hrm for those sort of activities. I'd go with both.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So they are for completely different things.

Fitbit: It is a high-tech pedometer. I just got one and I love it. It let's me know I've been sitting on my butt all day and I need to get up and move around. It still only estimates calories burned similar to MFP. It doesn't take into consideration your heart rate which is the only accurate measure of calories burned.

HRM: These you only wear during your workout. You wouldn't wear the chest strap around 24/7...I mean you could if you really wanted to but I don't know anyone who does.

So, If you are looking for something to monitor your ALL DAY activity go with the Fitbit. If you are looking for something to monitor calories burned during your workout go with a HRM.

A lot of people get both.

Actually, your heart rate isn't an accurate measurement of calories burned. The HR monitor monitors heart rate. That's all. Calories burned is an estimation, no different than a cardio machine's estimation, other than it has more numbers to add to the equation (HR, height, weight, age).
  • just35lbstogo
    just35lbstogo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor will give you a more accurate reading of calories burned while working out. I use my Garmin Forerunner 620 with HRM for all of my workouts. I love it.

Garmin also has a device like the FitBit. It's called vivoFit. I'm not sure on the price but I think it's pretty comparable to the price of it's competition.

Anyway, they are probably both great for different things depending on what is most important to you. I would definitely go with a HRM for tracking calories burned for a workout though.

I've got the watch w/ HRM now but I'm still thinking about getting the vivofit too for all day use.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    honestly, for what you're doing i'd go with the fitbit. the hrm is going to give you an estimate for ~300 cals on a ~2300 cal day. i'd be more interested in trying to figure out the ~2300 cal day so that i can monitor my NEAT.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Hmm, thanks guys. I think I might start with a HRM and maybe get a fitbit eventually. I think it would be nice to have both but the HRM would give me more what I am looking for to know how many calories I am burning during my workouts. Particular one that is recommended? I heard the polar from a few of you.

I have a polar FT7 (older model) and love it!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Look up Garmin Vivofit. It is a fitbit AND a heart rate monitor all in one. Plus, it is the chest strap kind so it is fairly accurate. Mine is, very literally, on its way to my house this afternoon. I'm so excited!