6 Months to the WEDDING! HELP!

Options
So the problem I am having: I want to lose weight, but I've already purchase a size 6 dress that fits me perfectly! (Mother-in-law bought it for me so I had to get it early)

What should I do?

Try to lose more weight and hope I can alter it
Or
Stay the weight I am

Replies

• abetterbrandi
    Options
    Just have it taken in and lose weight. Its a minimal cost to do that.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, If you're already a size 6 - you probably don't need to lose any...but if it will make you happier on the big day - don't hold back.

You can always alter it. I bought my wedding dress at my heaviest weight of 170 lbs. I was 140 by the wedding. I had to have to taken in twice. But I definitely don't regret it!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Craigslist the dress.
    Eat all the ice cream.
    See if he really loves you.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you talking about? :huh:
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    T all three of my wedding dress fittings I needed alterations. Every shop has a seamstress who can handle it. Go for the body you want, the dress will follow :)
    Congrats and best of luck!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Who cares about the dress - what kind of cake are you having?
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    it's a size 6 wedding dress - typically (said because not for all) your wedding dress size is determined by the largest part of your body then altered to fit the rest. so most of the time you order a size or two bigger. if a 6 fits then why would you want to loose more weight and pay for alterations. i say maintain and use the money you would have spent on alternations on something else like a special bottle of wine or an amazing dinner for the two of you.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Craigslist the dress.
    Eat all the ice cream.
    See if he really loves you.

LOL
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the style of dress. I would talk to a seamstress about how many alterations the dress can realistically handle and the type of alterations if this really is your dream dress. You don't want to end up in a situation where it could require major alterations in order for the embellishments/structure of the gown to look right.
  • Jessicahanzlik
    Jessicahanzlik Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I'm 140lbs, trying to get down to 130lbs, so 10 pounds
  • Jessicahanzlik
    Options
    In my opinion, If you're already a size 6 - you probably don't need to lose any...but if it will make you happier on the big day - don't hold back.

You can always alter it. I bought my wedding dress at my heaviest weight of 170 lbs. I was 140 by the wedding. I had to have to taken in twice. But I definitely don't regret it!

I was hopeing that was the case! I was unaware if they were able to alter a dress down size!
  • NessaWilde
    NessaWilde Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you're only dropping about 10 pounds taking in the dress should be pretty simple. I say go for it :)
  • kickivale
    Options

Oh man, you can totally do it, go for it!
    I worked my *kitten* off (well actually I kept my *kitten*, just raised it up a bit :bigsmile: ) for about 9 months beforehand and was so so glad I did it.
    The exercise is a great way to keep pre-wedding stress at bay, too.
    All in all you'll be looking at having it taken in a few inches, talk to the seamstress, I bet she will say no worries, it can be done
  • Jessicahanzlik
    Options

Oh man, you can totally do it, go for it!
    I worked my *kitten* off (well actually I kept my *kitten*, just raised it up a bit :bigsmile: ) for about 9 months beforehand and was so so glad I did it.
    The exercise is a great way to keep pre-wedding stress at bay, too.
    All in all you'll be looking at having it taken in a few inches, talk to the seamstress, I bet she will say no worries, it can be done

Great! I was just worried that they can't change the size of the dress!
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Well, I only have 2 months until my wedding and I'm still trying to lose about 30 pounds or so before that, I say go for it! Like other said, a good seamstress will be able to fix the dress for you. Especially since you aren't looking to lose a LOT before the wedding.
  • 33dimples
    33dimples Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Girl if you are size 6, just keep it tight and toned. You don't want to look too skinny. Besides, the new hubby needs something to hold on too!!!! Not skin and bones. Good luck with your wedding.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Girl if you are size 6, just keep it tight and toned. You don't want to look too skinny. Besides, the new hubby needs something to hold on too!!!! Not skin and bones. Good luck with your wedding.

Scientific FACT: < size 6 = "looking too skinny"

Pay attention, OP. Apparently this woman has some information regarding your fiance and knows that he will not want to consumate the marriage if you lose any more weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OP -- Of course they can alter your dress. Just find out how much time will be needed. It will depend on how simple or complex the dress is.
  • kickivale
    Options

Pay attention, OP. Apparently this woman has some information regarding your fiance and knows that he will not want to consumate the marriage if you lose any more weight.

I can't believe my husband stayed with me DESPITE MY SIZE 4 DRESS.
    I'm sure the divorce is right around the corner :sad: :bigsmile:
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Who waits to consummate??? That is just dangerous. I would worry less about the size of my dress and more about the size of other things... You may not get to test drive but at least know that it has all four wheels and the windows go up and down....