Confused on food choices

Options
Hi,

I am confused over the best choice of yogurt for weight loss for my breakfast . Is Greek better than natural and would I be better choosing fat free or not??

Also can anyone recommend a good granola that is low in sugar to have with it?

Love this as my breakfast but not sure what choice to make.

Thanks.
Ellie.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi. It really depends on what your goals are and which foods fit into them better. I made the switch to Greek yogurt because it has twice the protein and hitting my protein goal is important to me.
  • almx00
    almx00 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fat free greek yogurt is the best!! 0 fat,about 10g carbs and 26 protein
  • Yazza2
    Yazza2 Posts: 31
    Options
    Why don't you try non diary yogurts? Like soya
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What ever you like to eat and fits into your calorie goals
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've recently made the switch to Greek yogurt myself. I tried Chobani, (about a year ago) and wasn't really impressed with it (was way too sour/tart for my liking). But knowing that it's so high in protein, I wanted to give it another try. I was watching the Biggest Loser, and they gave some of the contestants some Yoplait 100 Calorie Greek Yogurt. I tried it and it is one that I like and fits in my calorie goal. I swear by the Strawberry Cheesecake... I crush up some almonds in it and it is DEEEE-lish!!!
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I find that Greek yogurt keeps me full onger than regular yogurt. So I chose that even though its more expensive.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am confused over the best choice of yogurt for weight loss for my breakfast . Is Greek better than natural and would I be better choosing fat free or not??

Also can anyone recommend a good granola that is low in sugar to have with it?

Love this as my breakfast but not sure what choice to make.

Thanks.
    Ellie.

When reducing your overall calories you might need to maximize nutrition

I like breakfast to keep me full until lunch. So, I opt for protein (filling) some fat (also filling) and some fiber (also filling). My go to breakfast is fat free greek yogurt mixed with slivered almonds & Fiber One cereal (Kashi Go Lean is good too).

Lots of granolas are high in sugar......do you need to watch you sugar for medical reasons? I no longer track sugar, I track fiber instead. How about making your own granola?
  • elliechoc
    elliechoc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

My goal is to cut down on sugar, not for medical reasons as such but I do suffer from sugar crashes, and I need to increase my protein too, so sounds like Greek would be the best. At the moment I am always starving hungry even though I never skip breakfast, I need filling quality foods.

I have tried soya alternatives before but they always made me feel quite bloated for some reason.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Fat free greek yogurt is the best!! 0 fat,about 10g carbs and 26 protein

Agreed!

I love Fage Greek yogurt, plain 0% and add yummy things to it. My favorite is frozen unsweetened berries or peaches (chopped) and a little bit of cinnamon. You can add honey too, if you need more sweetening. And nuts for added protein & crunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt and eat it a lot but it just doesn't fill me up in the morning... I'd have to add some fruit and nuts or granola or something and even then, I'd have to eat a lot of it to be full.

Why not eggs? I've been making crustless quiches. Just 5 eggs, 4 servings of egg whites, veggies, cheese and meat. Typically 200-250 calories for 1/4 of it, a lot of protein, and it keeps me much fuller, plus I have breakfast (or lunch I guess) for a few days.

Another option is ricotta or cottage cheese. I mix non fat ricotta with milk and some pudding mix and it's delicious and filling for 150 calories (can use sugar free mix and some articial sweeteners if you like). Or overnight oats (mix 6 oz of Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup of milk and a serving of oatmeal and just leave it in the fridge overnight.. can add any topping you like).

If you're set on yogurt though, Greek is definitely more protein than regular.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt and Bear Naked Granola. I get it in the supermarket in the cereal aisle.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/08/grocery-store-granola-survey-of-the-best-granola.html