Tell me what is working for you

Options
I know everyone is different and does different things but I wondered with so many differing things out there what is working for you. Is there anyone who is looking to lose 75lbs or more and has already lost some what worked best, what did you have your calories set at, or protein etc? Just looking for some ideas to change it up. How much exercise did a person do everyday along with the calories they chose. Thanks for any responses!

Replies

• lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've got another 80-90 pounds to lose. Looking at the past 2 weeks, I average 2000 calories a day with a little over 600 calories burned with exercise for a Net Cal of about 1450. I'm losing about 2 pounds a week. I try to keep my protein around 100 g and I watch my carbs because I'm diabetic. My workout consists of running in chest deep water because I have severe arthritis in one knee, and resistance exercise (also in the pool). The key for me is to log every bit of food. I usually log what I'm going to eat in the morning and then adjust it if I deviate. But I don't deny myself anything. If I want a certain food, I'll have it and adjust my intake to account for it. I never feel deprived which seems to be a big deal for me.
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have lost a little over 75lbs, and want to lose about 35-40 more. My calories are set at 1200 but I typically eat 1300-1400 when I exercise which is pretty much daily at this point. It wasn't always, but I find that exercising has really helped my mood and helps keep my stress in check so that is the main reason I do it daily. M-F morning I do an on demand walking program anywhere from 10 to 25 mins.(similar to Leslie Sansome) Some are pretty intense, others are light. Then in the afternoon or early evening I walk 4 miles. Takes anywhere from 1 hour to 1 hour 10 mins. I recently hurt my knee so I have been doing the elliptical instead.
    As for protein, I try to have some at each meal, egg whites and canadian bacon for breakfast, diced chicken, nuts or tuna in salad for lunch, and dinner always includes chicken, fish, beef, pork or seafood. For snacks protein in greek yogurt, hummus and peanut butter so I try to include them.
    What works for me is eating a lot of vegetables, big variety of them and switch up how I cook them.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    A mild calorie deficit(eta> I eat 1800-2000 a day). Mild cardio cuz Im lazy. Lifting weights.
    Works like a charm.
    Nothing Complicated.
    4128027525_a4726eeb25_o_zps54c2652e.gif
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing my goal where it is getting hard to lose the last few pounds. Changing up the workouts daily I think helps. I do cardio, circuit training and weights almost every day with a day off occasionally to give the body rest. I set my goals using MFP for 1.5 pounds a week loss and used the calories it calculated as a guide. Many days I eat back a lot of the calories I burn in my workouts. I've had a lot of NSV victories and those are the best.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hitting my calorie goals.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Consistency, logging and honesty. When I don't do all 3 I fail.

I know what works for me, I just have to stick with it 24/7, and adapt it as a lifestyle change, not some diet with an expiration date because, well that didn't work either. :wink:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20%, 40/30/30 macros, IIFYM, lifting heavy, some cardio, but mostly lifting.

ETA: The obvious stuff, such as accurately logging and weighing your food is key,

Rigger
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    you've lost... maybe you just need to be patient?

ETA: Someone else's calorie goals would be like wearing someone else's shoes. Most aren't gonna fit just right.
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    you've lost... maybe you just need to be patient?

ETA: Someone else's calorie goals would be like wearing someone else's shoes. Most aren't gonna fit just right.
    Yep^

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I started out weighing 219 and basically ate very low calorie 1000-1200 a day. No exercise. I lost around 15 lbs but it took months because I would eat VLC for a week, then get hangry and splurge like crazy for days and days. It was terrible.

Then I joined the gym with a mission to get back on track. I still was eating VLC (1200 a day) but now I was working out and not eating my exercise cals. I was losing my hair, hangry all the time, brittle nails and generally not happy. I was also splurging on weekends. One day, I was walking to my car and blacked out. My dr said I was healthy and losing weight so the black out must have been an anomoly. I did not believe her so I came online and found MFP. It was like the heavens opened with all the info here.

I learned that I was not eating enough each day and therefore not taking care of my body. I was eating enough on a weekly basis because of the splurges but not daily for the amount of activity I was doing.

I started my account with MFP in April 2013 weighing 196 and set it to a 1 lb a week weight loss goal, knowing that this would take a long time. I bought a heart rate monitor to determine my exercise cals and a fitbit to help me figure out if there were any extra cals that I burned but did not take into consideration.

I ate nearly every calorie that MFP, FB and my HRM told me to eat. Early on I was averaging 1650 a day but as I started to exercise more, I increased that. Then as I got closer to my goal weight, I lowered my weight plan to .5 lb a week loss. I was eating about 1850 cals a day. Now I am at maintenance and I eat around 2100 a day, depending on my activities.

As for the types of food, I found a few cookbooks for low calorie meals that I did for a while, especially when I was eating 1600 or so a day. I wanted to good tasting food but not always chicken and salad. Now I eat like I used to but skip the frequent fast food meals. I frequently eat ice cream, steak, burgers, tacos, candy and all sorts of other goodies but only if I have calories for it. I cook a lot at home so I can control the calories but if my hubby or friends want to eat out, I dont say no. I either make good choices if available or enjoy the meal and work to have extra cals in the bank over the next few days.

I use a digital food scale for everything I eat. I only use measuring cups for free flowing liquid like milk or water. If the nutrition counter has a grams rating, I weigh it.

I also drink water, sleep at least 7.5 hours, and try to avoid stress.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am in ketosis and have been since september. It works for me. After my thyroid quit I struggled to lose any weight with just a calorie defecit unless I dropped my carbs. That became easier after I developed a severe gluten intolerance.

I also work out 3-5 times a week doing primarily weight lifting. I have a personal trainer I see once a week. I run usually 3 days a week for about 30 minutes and I do yoga once a week for an hour to an hour and a half, depending on the class I go to. I am not super consistant with going to the gym during the winter as I am when it's nicer outside. Usually when it's snowing I just want to go home, which means I don't get to the gym 5 days a week like I'd like.

I started at 338 lbs. I got to 320 on my own before I started doing ketosis with the help of my doctor. Now I'm at 246. I still have a lot to go though.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I started out weighing 219 and basically ate very low calorie 1000-1200 a day. No exercise. I lost around 15 lbs but it took months because I would eat VLC for a week, then get hangry and splurge like crazy for days and days. It was terrible.

Then I joined the gym with a mission to get back on track. I still was eating VLC (1200 a day) but now I was working out and not eating my exercise cals. I was losing my hair, hangry all the time, brittle nails and generally not happy. I was also splurging on weekends. One day, I was walking to my car and blacked out. My dr said I was healthy and losing weight so the black out must have been an anomoly. I did not believe her so I came online and found MFP. It was like the heavens opened with all the info here.

I learned that I was not eating enough each day and therefore not taking care of my body. I was eating enough on a weekly basis because of the splurges but not daily for the amount of activity I was doing.

I started my account with MFP in April 2013 weighing 196 and set it to a 1 lb a week weight loss goal, knowing that this would take a long time. I bought a heart rate monitor to determine my exercise cals and a fitbit to help me figure out if there were any extra cals that I burned but did not take into consideration.

I ate nearly every calorie that MFP, FB and my HRM told me to eat. Early on I was averaging 1650 a day but as I started to exercise more, I increased that. Then as I got closer to my goal weight, I lowered my weight plan to .5 lb a week loss. I was eating about 1850 cals a day. Now I am at maintenance and I eat around 2100 a day, depending on my activities.

As for the types of food, I found a few cookbooks for low calorie meals that I did for a while, especially when I was eating 1600 or so a day. I wanted to good tasting food but not always chicken and salad. Now I eat like I used to but skip the frequent fast food meals. I frequently eat ice cream, steak, burgers, tacos, candy and all sorts of other goodies but only if I have calories for it. I cook a lot at home so I can control the calories but if my hubby or friends want to eat out, I dont say no. I either make good choices if available or enjoy the meal and work to have extra cals in the bank over the next few days.

I use a digital food scale for everything I eat. I only use measuring cups for free flowing liquid like milk or water. If the nutrition counter has a grams rating, I weigh it.

You've done great!
    You look amazing!!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20%, 40/30/30 macros, IIFYM, lifting heavy, some cardio, but mostly lifting.

ETA: The obvious stuff, such as accurately logging and weighing your food is key,

Rigger

This
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This!
  • sexyman94
    Options
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

This. Definitely this.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", started at just over 200 pounds and have 70 pounds I want to drop. I've lost 11 so far.

I'm taking my time because the last time I tried this I dropped about 2 pounds a week and ended up with over a dozen gallstones which I now need to have surgery to remove but can't afford to. The general idea is that this is common in ladies who drop weight quickly.

I've lost 11 pounds so far and tend to drop between .6 and 2 pounds a week depending.

I eat 1400 calories a day, work out 3-5 days a week and don't eat my calories back until the weekend. I use the weekend to eat things I can't normally eat because it is high calories (pasta, soda, etc). I eat healthy during the week and have an occasional soda.

It's working so far.
  • jessicameadsstephens
    jessicameadsstephens Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know everyone one is different hence what i wrote in my post, just because Im interested in ideas doesnt mean they will work for me, but its nice to see what is working for others and to know that others are getting there to! I really appreciate everyones input!
  • jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My Maintenence limit is 2500-3000. Since January ive lost 25lbs and Ive been saving 1800 - 2300 per day . I eat what I want but burn it off to always get to the remaining limit I want. I exercise 500 Cals per day on an exercise bike I bought.