spartan or tough mudder?

Options
Which is the more difficult of the 2?
From what I've read they're approximately the same distance but I'm not sure.
I realize neither is easy but which one is easier?

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've done the spartan, tough for sure! there are different types though with varying length and number of obstacles. none are "easy" but the sprint is the shorter one.

i'm going for my trifecta this year!
  • Scarbo1964
    Options
    In June I will be able to comment about the Spartan. Good Luck
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a mud run 5k with 20 obstacles in june! I'll let ya know
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

There are 3 types of Spartan Races. The Spartan is easier if you are doing the Sprint or the Super. The Spartan Beast is pretty comparable to the Tough Mudder as they both are around 12 or 13 miles (give or take a mile, depending on the location).

I would say that they are both very difficult The Spartan Beast and the Tough Mudder are both very hard obstacle courses.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I've run both.... Depends on the venue.... TM was easy in NJ..... The Spartan races were much harder but not all the TM courses are easy
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    In for tips :)
    Doing Spartan in Tuxedo, NY in June, very excited to try it since it will be my first race of any kind.

Hilarious side note, my friend told me Spartans who are single and looking wear red :love:
    While I won't personally be in red, I will be amused nonetheless
  • Aparz1
    Options
    Tuxedo is super fun :).... As for a tip.... I always do the barbed wire crawl all the way to the side.... Less traffic and it tends to be softer mud. Also wear compression selves and pull them over my knees while crawling... Saves your skin and a few bruises
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Options

There are 3 types of Spartan Races. The Spartan is easier if you are doing the Sprint or the Super. The Spartan Beast is pretty comparable to the Tough Mudder as they both are around 12 or 13 miles (give or take a mile, depending on the location).

I would say that they are both very difficult The Spartan Beast and the Tough Mudder are both very hard obstacle courses.

Distance in a Spartan doesn't always account for how difficult it is. I did an 8 1/2 mile Super Spartan in VA and didn't think I would finished. I did a 13 1/2 mile Beast in SC and finished an hour faster then I did on the Super.

They are each designed to be different. The TM is more "fun" oriented and the Spartan is more "race" oriented. The obstacles in the Spartan are quite a bit tougher overall.

If you want to take a group out for a good time, either will do. If you want to totally challenge yourself, the Spartan may be your race.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The Spartan Beast in VT is the hardest of them all. Other Beasts are easier.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, though I suspect they're reasonable similar.

Which has the widest range of obstacles?

I suspect I'd enjoy more 'traditional' ones rather than electric shocks and ice baths.

Longest I've run so far is 11 miles, but I don't envision it being a problem running further - vaguely planning to do a marathon this year.
  • rlxsn
    rlxsn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I found the Spartan race to be difficult because I was focused on my time. The Mudder obstacles weren't bad at all but the climbs were killer.
  • missADS1981
    Options
    Tuxedo is super fun :).... As for a tip.... I always do the barbed wire crawl all the way to the side.... Less traffic and it tends to be softer mud. Also wear compression selves and pull them over my knees while crawling... Saves your skin and a few bruises

agree, wish i wore knee covers for that part, took me two weeks to heal from those cuts and bruises and some people got weird rashes and sores after. that crawl was longer than i thought and hurt like hell drudging through!
  • missADS1981
    Options

that is the one we are doing this year. can't wait to try that one.
    i did the super at the mountain creek and those mountains sucked, but are nothing compared to the vermont i hear
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess it direct matter since I signed up for the spartan haha. It's in September so wish me luck!
  • Aparz1
    Options

that is the one we are doing this year. can't wait to try that one.
    i did the super at the mountain creek and those mountains sucked, but are nothing compared to the vermont i hear

Haha yeah... Mountain creek went on forever it seemed haha also looking forward to the beast in VT