I can't believe I'm doing this..

Options
Hi Everyone -

So, I've been a MFP user for a year or two. I visit and update my food and exercise journal every once in a while when I'm "into it" but not regularly by any means. I've never posted anything on here, and today is the day, apparently. In my 20s, I used to hit the gym at 4:30 every day for 2 hours. Yes, it was too much. I was eating SO diligently, I look back and I'm impressed by myself! I was fit. I was very very fit.

Time passed and I got a little laxidasical (murdered that spelling, I'm sure). I didn't gain a large amount of weight, probably 10 pounds..that honestly, I probably needed to gain back, I was kinda thin.

At this point in my early 30s. As everyone says, I've stopped looking for accpetance or what have you from others... However, with saying that, I still really enjoy being healthy, fit and wear my size 8 jeans :)

I am getting married in June.

I am taking the slow and steady approach to working out more regularly and eating lots of veggies, etc. (I can get very addictive and hard on myself if I miss one workout). January started my effort...January came and went, and I was fitting into my 8's again vs. my 10's being too tight..

February I started to lose the motivation and had a few burgers here and there..some beer. But I was still OK. Now it's March..I realize it's only been 2 full months, 60 stinkin' days so what should I expect in that short a timeframe?!

Nevertheless, I am really losing motivation. I am almost stubborn with my own efforts. Example, it's winter, I have no interest in getting out of my bed (tempurpedi, no less!) to get to the gym in -10 degree weather. So that is out. Lunch - I've tried to get it in at the local gym in the hour that I have, but I usually end up more stressed about getting back in time. After work - I'd rather eat my own hand off then work out after work. I have to get home, (ideally, sit down and relax for 10 minutes) straighten up the house (i.e. laundry, dishes, trash, floors, walk the dogs, etc.), get dinner started/watch it/not burn it/finish it, we then eat dinner, I've since nominated my fiancee to clean up dinner so that I have some down time..but that is spent showering, (girl stuff, teeth whitening, flossing, shaving, drying hair..this takes some time!)...by this time..I'm done. I'm seriously done with the day. I just want to sit down for a quiet minute with my honey for an hour before I go to bed (I strongly prefer to get 8-9 hours of sleep a night, so I'm an early bedtimer).

Now. Having said alllll that. Feel free to *****, moan and yell at me about the following..and if you have some helpful advice thrown in there, I'll take that too..I need a hard talking to!

1. Get over yourself, and get moving
2. Put the beer/dorito/chocolate down and quit your complaining since your sabataging yourself
3. I'm honestly BMI 21-22, 5'8" @ 155 lbs..not obese or anything - so I should feel lucky for what I've got!
4. Everyone deals with these types of issues, so set your goal and just do it.

Free HELPFUL advice: Place here.

Replies

• SmallsLee
    Options
    I was the same way before my wedding! I thought that would be when I was the most motivated. Nope. Not even a little. I had so much other stuff to focus on, that I just couldn't put the effort or thought into weight loss. I ended up kicking butt the last month and got to where I at least felt somewhat comfortable in my dress. Anyway, we all go thru those down times. Maybe just start w/something little. I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred that last month before the wedding. The workouts are only about 25 min start to finish, so I felt like it was something reasonable for me. I got great results from it pretty quickly and still felt like I had some time after work to do what I needed to do. And it got me back into working out, cuz really thats all we need is to do it for a bit and we're back in the habit. Just a suggestion!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well you don't have to exercise to lose weight. I'd just set a small deficit with 30% protein and focus on your diet. Or I'd fit in a 30 minute workout like the 30 day shred or something before your evening shower. Or spend less time on the house (I mean... how much do you have to do if you're not home all day? You don't have to vacuum the floors every day, for example... although I guess that's exercise too).
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    If you only have a tiny bit to lose it will be harder to get off, be patient.
    You have to walk the dogs anyway, why not jog the dogs?
    Congrats on getting comfy back in your preferred jeans:)
  • Lynne4906
    Lynne4906 Posts: 15
    Options
    Ok - to all of you that replied so quickly, thank you.

These were all great suggestions.

MarKayDee - yes, I end up jogging the dogs, and it's a GREAT workout because I basically have to sprint because Sophie, the Mountain Mastiv is crazy and runs so fast. However, like I was saying, it has been so cold here that it's too cold for them to be outside right now. So unfortunately, that is out for now.

SmallsLee - I did purchase some Jillian Michaels..good advice, I need to start them again. Ugh, there's that motivation again..

Cleaning...yes, cleaning can be a good little calorie burner..ANd yes, I enjoy a clean home...not every day cleaning, but quite often throughout the week.

Thank you all for your words!!
  • SmallsLee
    Options
    I have to clean every night as well. The kitchen has to be clean and dishes need to be done then I prep mine and my husbands meals for the next day so I get that struggle for sure. I'm not sure if you have an instagram but there are so many inspiring people to follow on there that motivate me everyday! I even started posting just my fitness stuff like workouts and meals. Gives me something to hold myself accountable too. Like i feel like if I post on there that I plan to workout then I have to do it cuz I put it out there lol. I don't know if anyone that follows me really pays attention but it makes me feel like I have to do it if I said it lol
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Set a reasonable calorie goal. Most people lose motivation early on because they restrict their diet too much.

Do exercise that you like. Two hours every day is excessive.

Have patience and stick with it. I don't know where you live, but it's been a brutal winter where I am. This weather is very depressing, but I still make it happen. Again, stick with it; what's the alternative?
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    Set a reasonable calorie goal. Most people lose motivation early on because they restrict their diet too much.

Do exercise that you like. Two hours every day is excessive.

Have patience and stick with it. I don't know where you live, but it's been a brutal winter where I am. This weather is very depressing, but I still make it happen. Again, stick with it; what's the alternative?

This. all of this.

good luck, congratulations and Everything will be fine!
  • clanmcfleming
    clanmcfleming Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Why not ask around for some 30 day shred buddies to start with you? Maybe that could help with motivation levels. Btw, I am on day 5 and finding it easy to fit in to my day. I am def feeling fitter and hope that there will be a visual improvement too. My stats are similar too. I'm 5ft7 and started jan at 153.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You sound burned out. I know that feeling. I try a new workout when I'm feeling that way. Helps to shake things up. Maybe try a new class at the gym? Or find a pickup volleyball or basketball game at the rec center? Or look up videos on youtube.

Or, just accept the fact that you have a lot going on. Take a break. And come back to it later.
  • Lynne4906
    Lynne4906 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Everyone -

Well, it's April 2nd and I'm feeling better about everything. I've started a new regime (Murdered that spelling also I think) with my fiance, running long distances. I've also incorporated some Jillian Michael's tae bo stuff..that stuff makes you sore!! and I like it!

I'm two months out to my wedding, and feel that now is the time to really be focused so that is also motivating me. Thank you for all the kind and motivating messages - they did help.

Here goes everything!!
  • mldouty1
    mldouty1 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am with you on the lack of motivation... It's been a rough winter - since you mentioned -10 weather, I assume you are somewhere chilly too - I am in CT. I've noticed that the whole family has gotten a little sluggish over the winter - my kids as well. Now all the sports are starting up again - they have tennis, gymnastics, and football going on. And we've started walking to school again. But even as a stay-at-home mom (I work from home for my MIL's business, but it's no more than an hour of work a day) I am always running around like a nut. I never sit down. I always have something that has to be done, and my exercise time gets pushed to the back of my mind. I get up at 5:00 and don't stop until about 8:30 when my kids go to bed. I, too, would rather eat my own hand than exercise at 8:30 at night. :noway: I am just hoping that the nicer weather will make me feel better, and my secret trick is to spend more time outside, doing yardwork and stuff. The fresh air always puts me in a better mood!!! Maybe you can squeeze in a run with the dogs, instead of a walk. Or play some football at the park with your fiancé. Something fun, that doesn't necessarily feel like exercise!! Good luck!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I love your post, and know exactly what you mean about finishing work & not wanting to work out. Im like that every night.... Then seeing it sooo busy........Yeah it puts me right in the mood... Trying to catch a machine (if) its free.

Why don't you do some exercise at home then? Make a mini gym, get some dvds, weights etc. That way you can finish work, do the dinner, 30 mins or so of exercising, bath and ready for bed : )
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Look at my profile picture, look at the before, that is where 10 years of no exercise and bad food choices gets you. Your choice. I do not judge!