Don't want to quit this time

Options
I have lost one pound in two weeks. I'm trying very hard not to be disappointed. So this week I'm going by mfp recommendation and cutting a few more calories. Hope the scale likes me next week!:wink:

Replies

• Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    you are doing very well!! keep it up! I wish I lost 2 pounds, I am working on it!:)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Remember that weight loss isn't linear. According to NASA estimates (cited in John Walker's ebook The Hacker's Diet), every day the typical human inhales 1.8 lb. of oxygen, eats 2.5 lb. of food, and drinks 9.8 lb. of water (mostly in food). On average, someone in maintenance will eliminate 0.3 lb. of solids, 11 lb. of water, and 2.2 lb. of carbon dioxide.

But those are averages. Some days you'll retain water and solids, some days you'll eliminate those that were retained in the past. The noise can easily add up to several times what you lose. After all, if you're losing 1 lb./week of fat, that's only 2.3 oz. a day, which is nothing compared with 13.5 lb. of water, food, and oxygen.

I recommend reading the chapters on "The Rubber Bag" and "Signal and Noise" in Walker's book. Heck, the whole thing is informative. And it's free online at: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/
  • grasshoppermegan
    Options
    The scale disappointed me today as well. I first got frustrated and then thought of all the positive changes I had made, I realized that it didn't totally matter what the scale said. I was eating healthy, exercising and drinking water. Clothes are looser, and I am not so depressed... Eventually the scale will catch up - if you focus on the positive changes you are making!!! Cheers, keep you the fantastic work! Megan
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. With consistency and patience, those pounds will start adding up!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. With consistency and patience, those pounds will start adding up!

QFT