Favorite Squat Technique

Options
Which is your current or favorite squat technique?

Front, sumo, back, etc.

Why do you prefer one over the other?

I'll start by saying I've always been a back squatter. Took me a year to build up to 45lb plates. I recently started to do front squats which caused me to drop the weight much lower because for me they are more challenging, but I wanted the challenge. So now I do both.

Replies

• RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I've only done back but I'm thinking of trying front this week!
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

let us know how it goes. took me a few times to get comfortable with it. now that i have the form and hold down i have to slowly work up my weight for those. my shoulders have a harder time with front squats.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I prefer a wider stanced back squat (not sure if it could quite be considered sumo, but probably close). I've started putting front squats in as well, and I really like them but I need to check some form videos...I think I'm doing something wrong as holding the bar hurts my arms.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    the weight you use for front squats should be much lower than a back squat weight. Rippetoe in Starting Strength says that it isn't a bad idea to avoid front squatting more weight than you can clean.

I generally front squat just a little more than 50% of the weight I can back squat.
  • missADS1981
    Options
    the weight you use for front squats should be much lower than a back squat weight. Rippetoe in Starting Strength says that it isn't a bad idea to avoid front squatting more weight than you can clean.

I generally front squat just a little more than 50% of the weight I can back squat.

that sounds about right. i can do 40lbs in plates on a 45lb bar in front and do 90lb in plates and 45 lb bar for back.
    thanks for letting me know im doing ok then :)
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Probably enjoy front squats the most, then high bar back squats are second best. While people do front squats as a quad exercise they are equally if not moreso an upper back lift so ye might find that to be the limiting factor.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Lately i've been doing goblet squats and Zercher squats. They seem practical for outside the gym. I used to do a lot of dumbbell squats, for the same reason.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Low bar back squat is my primary squat but I also do front squats as an accessory lift.
    ...it isn't a bad idea to avoid front squatting more weight than you can clean.
    QFT
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Lately i've been doing goblet squats and Zercher squats. They seem practical for outside the gym. I used to do a lot of dumbbell squats, for the same reason.

Zercher (also seen it Zurcher) are great for keeping an eye on form as well.....
  • missADS1981
    Options

i like goblet as well but only if i have steps or boxes the same height to allow for me to go lower into the squat.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So a post the other day. "Squat like Ryan Gosling is behind you". This post so reminded me of that.
  • missADS1981
    Options
    So a post the other day. "Squat like Ryan Gosling is behind you". This post so reminded me of that.

Hey girl...
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i highbar back squat olympic style in training and at meets. i have been adding some wider stance lowbar back squats lately. i front squat on every leg day. i also add 110-125% pin squats on my high rep back squat days. zerchers are a random add in. either way i absolutely love heavy squats.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot more Front Squatting since I've been doing more Olympic Lifts. I really do enjoy these more than Back Squats, even though (as mentioned by others too) I can lift a lot more w/Back Squats.

I've also been doing Overhead Squats. These are a challenge for me to get in position with my tight upper back. First time I tried these I couldn't even get to parallel with a PVC pipe - LOL. I'm happy to say with some mobility work and practice, they're coming along nicely.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Front squat but I use it as an accessory for high bar back squats.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Front squats are awesome. I like hack squats too (barbell version).

I struggle a lot with my back squat form so my max back squat lift is weaker than it should be.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I HAVE to say sumo as its the only one that doesn't hurt my knee..
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

let us know how it goes. took me a few times to get comfortable with it. now that i have the form and hold down i have to slowly work up my weight for those. my shoulders have a harder time with front squats.

Ok, since you asked! :)
    So I did box squats for my first year of lifting. Second year, back squats.

Today.. my first front squat. Loved it!! I only did a little bit shy of my back squat weight, which I'm kinda proud of! My quads are already killing me. I used the arms-crossed method. Very fun. Love finding new moves :)
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Front, sumo, back, etc.

I'll start by saying I've always been a back squatter. Took me a year to build up to 45lb plates. I recently started to do front squats which caused me to drop the weight much lower because for me they are more challenging, but I wanted the challenge. So now I do both.

You mean sumo deadlift? I've never heard of a sumo squat.

I do high bar squat and front squats.
  • Seekerman
    Seekerman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can't do front squats worth a damm. Only trying back squats and a version of goblet squats. Since I never did squat until recently I can only just do 45 plates too for 5 or 6 reps.