Confused!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm a 29 year old woman. I'm 5' 1" and weigh 143lbs. I'm trying to get my weight down to 130lbs. I'm really confused about how I should be eating. Most times, I eat between 800 -1000 calories most days. Though on other days, if I over eat, I might eat up to 1800 calories in one day. I'm really, really frustrated and I can't seem to lose weight and keep it off.

At the moment, after consistently eating 1200 - 1500 calories most days I'm finding that I'm putting on weight and I'm unbelievably frustrated. I'm seeing a dietitian and she's not helpful because she thinks I have no problems with my eating and she deflects all of my questions about how to eat properly.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for excercise?
  • peaches1512
    Options
    When you cut your calories down below 1200 a day and then increase your calories to a normal healthy range 1200-1500 your body will hold on to those extra calories because it had been in "starvation mode" so you may gain some weight initially but you're on the right track keeping your calories at 1200-1500 and with time the weight should come off. Are you exercising as well?? Strenght training and cardio are important in increasing your metabolism and helping you burn fat! Hope this helps some! :) I tell myself everyday that it's all about consistency and that weight loss and being healthy inside and out is a lifelong process.
  • FAMUDva
    FAMUDva Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's as simple as calories in vs. calories out... so, what are you doing weekly for exercise? Perhaps you should track how many calories you are burning and if it's not enough, you should ramp up your exercise intensity, duration, or switch the type of exercises you are doing.

Best of luck to you!
  • kurayami
    Options
    I exercise 6 - 7 days per week. It's usually an hour of brisk walking. I do weights every second day and if I feel like I've eaten too much at night I might do some push ups, leg lifts, jumping jacks and use my skipping rope for bit.
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    I'm in the same boat but I'm a little taller at 5'4. I consume about 1200 calories on most days but I also work out for 60 minutes at least 6 days a week. I haven't lost a lot of weight yet but my body fat % has gone down. Body fat percentage is better to watch because with exercise sometimes you tend to gain muscle and therefore gain weight before you lose it. How often are you exercising?
  • LanakilaGirl
    LanakilaGirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When you cut your calories down below 1200 a day and then increase your calories to a normal healthy range 1200-1500 your body will hold on to those extra calories because it had been in "starvation mode" so you may gain some weight initially but you're on the right track keeping your calories at 1200-1500 and with time the weight should come off. Are you exercising as well?? Strenght training and cardio are important in increasing your metabolism and helping you burn fat! Hope this helps some! :) I tell myself everyday that it's all about consistency and that weight loss and being healthy inside and out is a lifelong process.

I agree, consistency is key. The back and forth stuff is really hard on your body.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    I wonder if your sodium is really high? It would make you retain water...
  • wilguy
    Options
    I know what you live, I'm in the same situation and I work hard 4-5 times a week and the scale refuse to go down.

I'm with you take care
    (excuse my bad english it's not my first language)
  • kiwibirdnz
    Options
    As much as I'm in a similar boat I have to remember that with exercise comes muscle...which weighs heavier than fat. I wish I had taken my measurements at the start as my clothes are definitely looser but not lighter on the scales!
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Have you had your hormones, or thyroid checked. I know the whole `calories in calories out` thing is a great plan, but.... there are some other issues that can keep you from loosing weight.

I had some really whacked out hormones. I gained 50 lbs in 3 months and was so swollen, the more i dieted and tried to loose weight the worse it got. I was on some really strict regiments. Anyway skip ahead several years, I finally go pregnant, and boom everything changed. I started loosing weight right away. I was down 20 lbs when I left the hospital, and I`ve dropped another 27 lbs since then and lost several inches all over. I`m really happy with my progress and know that my hormones are finally starting to sort out. Just a thought, something you might want to get checked out.

Ven