Not sure what to do, advice appreciated

Options
I am 23 , and finished my school exams a few years ago have been trying to get into 2 nearby colleges to do a computing course. I have applied 2 times already for 2 years running. For the first time round, I got declined the first time round without an interview, and now I have been rejected yet again this time after an interview.

Now I weighed nearly 310lbs 2 years ago, but when I applied to the colleges, I lost 50lbs (haven't updated my ticker in a long time) and got to 260lbs. I still felt over-weight though for the interviews, which did affect my confidence.

Now I've been told that I've not got in, I'm not sure what to do and have been going off everything for the last few months. I've probably put the weight back on, and feel useless. All my friends have basically gone off, and I have no one really left. I can't really apply elsewhere due to funding issues. Now I'm stuck in a spot again, and I can't seem to get out of it. I don't know what more I could have done to get in the college, and was told I missed out on a spot by being 30 places off. My dad is also very ill right now, and telling him that I was able to get in would've given him a big lift, and I feel so down that I'm going to have to tell him again that I did not get in and who knows if he'll ever know at this rate.

I know how to lose weight, but I can't seem to let issues such as these derail everything. Just not sure what to do

Replies

• TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eating right & exercising is an important part of self-care. Be good to yourself.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about the weight loss and ready to do the work, then you can indeed do it. It isn't going to be quick, but if you stick with it, you will reach your goals. Get back to logging, if you have stopped, and do what you can to increase your activity (even if it is just walking).

Regarding colleges, perhaps there are some online long distance learning courses you could possibly do from home? Regarding your friends no longer being around, how about meeting some new people? I know it may seem hard to do when you are feeling self conscious and not feeling good about yourself, but I'm sure there are some like minded people, a nature hike group, or weight loss group, or something.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    23 is still very young and you have plenty of time to get into college. You need to focus on the future and keep focus on the fact that the fitter and healthier you are in your body then the fitter and healthier you will be in mind. You'll also be more confident and dynamic and you will make new friends. You are absolutely capable of breaking through this mental barrier. You have masses of potential and it'd be criminal to waste that. It's hard work but the rewards are enormous. Go for it, things always seem worse while you are 'in' them than they do with hindsight..
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I am very motivated to lose weight right now, I pretty much had no confidence when I went into the interview with how I felt with everything, and although I felt the answers I gave were good, I got declined, they said I was very close but just short which has been the story of my life so far. So I know I have to get it sorted out for once and for all.

I will look into everything again soon with what the future may hold, I'll have to think hard about again. I just feel that my life is on hold really. I'm not in a good job and really wanted to make my dad proud of me by getting this place. I could apply again for next year, but that is another year which I'll have to really think about doing or not, and spend some time seeing other options for now.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    You can't worry about what does and doesn't make your dad proud. People generally don't think like that, I'm proud of the people I love for a million reasons and I wouldn't think more or less of them based on their employment or their education. I'm sure you are the same. So why would your dad be any different. I would guess that you being more positive about yourself would be the best thing that you could do for him.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    In the meantime, as you look towards applying to the colleges again, have you looked into free computing courses online? There are so many schools offering free lectures and courses it's crazy. Even MIT offers introductory programming classes: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/intro-programming/. Giving yourself a leg up can only help your confidence the next time 'round. Good luck!