Strength Training everyday?

Options
Hello, I was wondering if strength training everyday for about 20 minutes (after moderate/intense cardio) is too much strain on the body. I did strength everyday for the last week (7 days) and have not felt overly sore or drained. I push myself to the point where I no longer can continue, and the workout is full body, a few exercises (2-3) for each muscle group. Am I going down a bad road? Should I limit my strength workouts to a few times a week? If so, how long should a strength workout usually be? Thank you!

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you training to lose fat? Build muscle or retain it during fat loss? Do you want to increase strength?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You should do an actual program, you will have better results. Also, you do not want to train the same muscles or groups of muscles every day...you negate your work. The benefits of lifting and strength training come with rest and letting the muscles recover before tearing them apart again.

Look into Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 and do an actual program for best results.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm training to lose fat and gain muscle, but mostly to burn fat
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    I would be interested in hearing some advice on this as well....I use the Chalean Extreme program and I was doing it every day....but now I'm doing it every other day....
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're going to incorporate strength training into your fitness regimen, it should be the backbone of it--not a supplement or afterthought. You should plan your cardio around your strength training, not vice-versa. Additionally, strength training on a daily basis should only be done when working in a split--something that is really only beneficial to intermediate to advanced lifters with more specific goals than the general public.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You should do an actual program, you will have better results. Also, you do not want to train the same muscles or groups of muscles every day...you negate your work. The benefits of lifting and strength training come with rest and letting the muscles recover before tearing them apart again.

Look into Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 and do an actual program for best results.

^^Yup. This. Stronglifts 5x5 is awesome. Also, you can't gain muscle in a caloric deficit. Strength training in a deficit will aid in fat loss.

(For the picky: blah blah newbie gains in a deficit - so minimal but people think it's so huge)
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It's important to allow for rest days especially as you increase the weights. Rest days are just as necessary to muscle growth as the actual training day is.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If you're going to incorporate strength training into your fitness regimen, it should be the backbone of it--not a supplement or afterthought. You should plan your cardio around your strength training, not vice-versa. Additionally, strength training on a daily basis should only be done when working in a split--something that is really only beneficial to intermediate to advanced lifters with more specific goals than the general public.

QFT
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm training to lose fat and gain muscle, but mostly to burn fat

Like other users have said, try an already designed program, like New Rules of Lifting or Strong Lifts. The program you choose should focus on compound rather then isolation exercises, especially if you are a beginner. Compound exercises use multiple joints and multiple muscles, so you are doing more work in the same amount of time as an isolation lift (That is, you should do bench presses instead of bicep curls.) You also don't want to workout the same muscle groups every day, as you need to give yourself some time to rest and repair.