Help Spaghetti!

Options
ticribbs
ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
I made meatballs yesterday and had them over homemade garlic bread (2 round wheat thins with spray butter, garlic powder and Italian Seasoning) and while it's not bad it's just not the same as pasta. We are having left overs tonight any suggestions on something different I could do with meatballs? Pasta is pretty much out since 1/4 a cup is like 200 calories :(

Replies

• Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My Italian DH likes his "gravy" over long green beans - I prefer shredded zucchini ala www.skinnytaste. com http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/08/zoodles-and-meatballs-zucchini-noodles.html
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    vegetable "spaghetti" - basically carrots, zucchini and any other vegetable you can take a peeler to and cut into long thin pieces and give it a quick steam. Not exactly pasta but less calories and more vitamins.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    2oz of uncooked spaghetti is about 1 cup cooked pasta, which is ~200. Not 1/4 =200 calories.

I'm no help otherwise, when I want spaghetti, I eat it. There's no sub for it, to me.
  • Andrea_Alexis_1980
    Andrea_Alexis_1980 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried spaghetti squash ? The first time i had it i thought i wouldn't like it, but it's really good.
  • teamau44
    teamau44 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What about spaghetti squash?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    2oz of uncooked spaghetti is about 1 cup cooked pasta, which is ~200. Not 1/4 =200 calories.

I'm no help otherwise, when I want spaghetti, I eat it. There's no sub for it, to me.

This!!!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Over spaghetti squash.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Meatball sandwiches?
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You could use spaghetti squash or make "noodles" with strips of zucchini. I don't know the calories in it offhand, but I know my family has no problem with the squash instead of pasta and they are big fans of spaghetti.
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can you buy vegetable pasta? If so where, I'm in Southern California.
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just don't forget that carrots are sweet. I personally do not like sweet items with meat items so do be careful what you steam if you are like me (strange) lol.

You could make a home made marinara sauce too. Using tomato sauce (or if too many calories) diced tomatoes cooked down with a little tomato juice to make up the liquid part.

I typically make 1 hamburger patty and 1 can of diced tomatoes and cook them with 1 clove of garlic and I love that. Maybe your meatball could be broken down and cooked the same way?

I do season with chili powder, Italian seasoning, Tabasco sauce, Himalayan salt, and fresh ground pepper.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I made meatballs yesterday and had them over homemade garlic bread (2 round wheat thins with spray butter, garlic powder and Italian Seasoning) and while it's not bad it's just not the same as pasta. We are having left overs tonight any suggestions on something different I could do with meatballs? Pasta is pretty much out since 1/4 a cup is like 200 calories :(

You should be able to fit 200 calories into your day somewhere. Have some pasta and enjoy it.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash - it is awesome!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^...and it's plenty of spaghetti.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

No need to lie, esp in a direct comparison to actual pasta it is no where near awesome
  • LindaFromNH
    LindaFromNH Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Shirataki Noodles? There are hardly any calories etc... They are made out of tofu. They aren't too bad if you dry them off with paper towels after heating them in the microwave... Here's a website where you can get them and they are also in the section at the grocery store where the soy products, tofu, wonton wrappers etc are located. There are also lots of recipes to use the noodles in on the site...

http://www.genkiusainc.com/preparation_recipes/index.html
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

No need to lie, esp in a direct comparison to actual pasta it is no where near awesome

:laugh: :laugh:
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had the sauce and meatballs over some baked zucchini last time I made spaghetti for the family! it was so yum!
  • Ketzalitzli
    Ketzalitzli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I found this and looks hella good if you ask me! Zucchini, really? I never thought of that! Awesome!

http://paleogrubs.com/pasta-recipes