Beets! Should I grow them?

Options
I'm a successful gardener and I've read that beets, like most veggies, are good for you. I love them pickled, but wont bother doing that. I roasted some with orange zest/juice/balsamic vinegar and they were kind of blah.
Do you have any recipes that you have tried and LOVED? I don't want to bother growing them if I cant get a good, healthy recipe that we will use again.

Replies

• cindalinka
    Options
    I love to juice them and add the juice to smoothies.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've just never been able to get into them for the most part. I know there is this soup called borscht that a Russian restaurant near me serves that is pretty good and should be pretty low in fat/calories.

http://natashaskitchen.com/2010/09/26/classic-russian-borscht-recipe/

(there are tons of variations to the recipe, this one just had high ratings)
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    dessertswithbenefits.com loves to use beets in her healthy red-velvet cake recipes.
    I haven't tried any of them but I am really curious! Using vegetables in desserts intrigues me~
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I roast them'plain and refrigerate them (cut into chunks) in a Ziploc bag with lemon juice and dill. This is amazing and easy. I'd say definitely grow them.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You can shake young beet plants with olive oil and salt and bake them like kale chips. They are good in stir fry too. I haven't grow. Any full sized beets. We always eat the whole plant when they are small.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Just made this last night: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-borscht/

I am not vegan and still think it turned out great!
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    One of the great side effects of growing your own beet is beet greens. Beet greens are really tasty and you just prepare them like you would any other green.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One of the great side effects of growing your own beet is beet greens. Beet greens are really tasty and you just prepare them like you would any other green.

I second this. The greens are great. I'm growing some beets right now.

I usually roast mine with either citrus slices (oranges & grapefruit) or add a little soft cheese (goat or ricotta) at the end, not a whole lot, but oh man, the flavor!
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I plan to grow beets for the first time this year…mostly for the greens. I love beet greens!

For the root, I roast them. After cooling and peeling, I shred them and toss with a little olive oil, apple cider vinegar and salt.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I take cooked beets and blend them until smooth with tahini, garlic cloves, a touch of plain Greek yogurt, and chickpeas for a beautiful and tasty hummus. I have heard it is more traditional to omit the chickpeas but I like the added protein and fiber.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I just like them boiled, but if you're not into the flavour of them roasted, then you might not like them boiled either.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    if they are premade for me ... pickled,etc. i like the red beets... just watch out if you eat too many!!!! my only suggestion would be to grow golden beets. they dont stain things. i have a tendency to look like a murderer when i make red beets.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Pickling beets is soooooo easy!

You can get the jars from the dollar store.

Just add beets (5 pounds ish), 1 cup sugar and half a quart of vinegar, maybe a 1/2 tsp pickling salt.

Chop the beets and boil them.
    Keep the water.
    Sterilize the jars by boiling them (and the lids).
    Put boiled beets in the jars.
    Boil beet water, vinegar, salt and sugar.
    Pour water/vinegar mix over beets in jars.
    Seal jars.
    Place sealed jars in boiling water so they are covered. Cover pot and boil 10 mins.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love them roasted with a bit of oil and salt and pepper and rosemary. If you haven't tried golden beets yet, they're delicious, They taste a little less earthy than the deep red ones, but have a mild, sweet flavour. I like to roast them sliced up with other root veggies in the winter and toss them with a melted butter/grated ginger/maple syrup glaze.
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    Options
    boiled with butter and salt and pepper mmmmmmmmm!
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I love them pickled, not so much any other way - but the greens are awesome!
  • queenjane1023
    queenjane1023 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like them roasted with a honey lime dressing, I've never had them any other way.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this helps but I just boil them. I love the taste. If you don't overcook them they have so much flavor.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm definitely going to grow them, use the greens and maybe even pickle some. :)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm definitely going to grow them, use the greens and maybe even pickle some. :)

Beets are great to grow since they are biennials.

I love to make juice out of them, or boil them, or grill them. I use a recipe that I have bookmarked for grilled beets, goat cheese, and walnuts from Food Network. Here's the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/grilled-beets-with-goats-cheese-and-walnuts-recipe0.html