In Need of Advice Please

Options
Hi! I am 23, female, 5'7", and currently 176 lbs.

I have been counting calories through this site on and off for the last few years and have made some substantial progress (44 lbs down!). MFP has placed me at eating 1240 calories a day to lose 1.5 lbs per week.

In the last two weeks I have started exercising much more regularly and strenuously at the gym than I used to. I burn between 600-700 calories at the gym and go about 5 days a week. I am enjoying working out so I can see myself continuing this trend for some time.

I am still having success when I do my weekly weigh-ins but I feel as though the results are getting smaller (0.5 - 1 lb /week). I've read a couple articles and posts on this site and I am becoming concerned that I'm not eating enough calories regularly and am so scared that I am doing damage to my metabolism in a way that will make my weight loss unsustainable. I know now that I need to eat the calories that I burn through exercise, but I have gotten so used to eating at approximately the 1200 mark that I'm genuinely not hungry for more food.

I guess my question is, is 1240/day enough calories? Am I doing myself any damage, and if I am what do I do to counteract it? I am reluctant to up my calories for fear of gaining weight, but at the end of the day I want the weight loss to be as sustainable and healthy as possible, so if I need to I will.

Edit: This is from my reply further down the page:
Sorry! I was unclear - I am now eating back the calories for exercise days more or less. To be fair I am sometimes only making it up to 1000 net calories but I am not leaving it at 540/day. I guess I'm just concerned that even 1240 net calories/day is enough to slow my metabolism.

Replies

• Tangosgrandad
    Tangosgrandad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why not just change the type of food you eat instead of the quantity? That way you aren't over filling yourself. And, you definetely aren't eating enough calories for the exercise you are doing. You are going way too low in defecit
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on all you've done.

Second, every time you add exercise, you might find your weightloss slows down for a few weeks. This is normal.

Third, are you hungry? Angry? Binging? If so, eat more. If not... it's kind of up to you. I'd at least eat my estimated BMR every day.

Fourth, are you getting enough protein and nutrients to fuel your workouts? If not, maybe add a protein shake to what you're eating?

Fifth, weightloss always slows down when you're closer to your goal.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on all you've done.

Second, every time you add exercise, you might find your weightloss slows down for a few weeks. This is normal.

Third, are you hungry? Angry? Binging? If so, eat more. If not... it's kind of up to you. I'd at least eat my estimated BMR every day.

Fourth, are you getting enough protein and nutrients to fuel your workouts? If not, maybe add a protein shake to what you're eating?

Fifth, weightloss always slows down when you're closer to your goal.

This.
  • Tangosgrandad
    Options
    If you are eating 1240 and do 700 cals in exercise, you are leaving just 540 to fuel your body. This is not enough. At least eat back most of your exercise cals. No one with any sense on here would say to go down to 540 cals, which is what you are doing on your exercise days.
  • smurray91
    smurray91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I was unclear - I am now eating back the calories for exercise days more or less. To be fair I am sometimes only making it up to 1000 net calories but I am not leaving it at 540/day. I guess I'm just concerned that even 1240 net calories/day is enough to slow my metabolism.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just concerned that even 1240 net calories/day is enough to slow my metabolism.

1240 net sounds very reasonable to me. I'd hate for it to go lower, and really it's your choice to go higher. If you experience binges, emotional outbursts that affect your loved ones, or not enough energy for your workout, then I'd eat more.

The key is, make sure you're getting enough protein and lifting weights and doing some kind of self-supported, moderate impact exercise (like walking) to maintain your bones and muscles while you lose weight.
  • Tangosgrandad
    Options
    Sorry! I was unclear - I am now eating back the calories for exercise days more or less. Sometimes I only make it up to 1000 net calories but I am not leaving it at 540/day. I guess I'm just concerned that even 1240 net calories/day is enough to slow my metabolism.

Well now, that makes a difference. If I were you, I'd be measuring with the tape instead of the scales. You may be putting on muscle which is heavier than fat. This is good.