Help Spaghetti!

Options

Replies

• Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    2oz of uncooked spaghetti is about 1 cup cooked pasta, which is ~200. Not 1/4 =200 calories.

I'm no help otherwise, when I want spaghetti, I eat it. There's no sub for it, to me.

^^^This^^^...and it's plenty of spaghetti.

Agreed...2 oz of spaghetti with meatballs and sauce is very filling!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Your two sandwich rounds were 200 calories.. a serving of pasta (about a cup cooked) is 200 calories. What's the problem here? Don't have the bread, have the pasta... same difference.

ETA: By the way, your Safeway bread is coming in at 120 calories per slice? You may want to consider one of these options, instead:

http://www.naturesownbread.com/products/ReducedCalorieBreads/

They are 40 calories per slice and extra fiber. I've gone with the Honey Wheat and love it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Shirataki Noodles? They aren't too bad if you dry them off with paper towels after heating them in the microwave... Here's a website where you can get them and they are also in the section at the grocery store where the soy products, tofu, wonton wrappers etc are located. There are also lots of recipes to use the noodles in on the site...

http://www.genkiusainc.com/preparation_recipes/index.html

People who like them recommend them, but I'd only buy one package and try them first. There is a consistency issue I could not get past when I tried them once. It was like - chewing on - rubbery -slimy - erg. I can't even. yucky.

Eat some pasta. It's only 200 calories.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    2oz of uncooked spaghetti is about 1 cup cooked pasta, which is ~200. Not 1/4 =200 calories.
    This. Also, I have been known to put sauce over the really thin green beans. Not the same (and it can be a watery mess since nothing is there to soak up the sauce), and I don't try to use it as a replacement for pasta, but it's tasty.

If you already find your one substitute not the "same", then I'd just go with pasta and make it fit. A lot of the substitutions can be tasty on their own, but they are not good substitutes for pasta.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You know that it's 1/4 cup (or more specifically, two weighted ounces) of DRY pasta that's ~200 calories, right? It cooks up into a very nice, normal serving size.

If even that doesn't sway you... I don't know. I kind of like green beans in pasta sauce. I do like spaghetti squash a lot. I use a lot of polenta where I'd ordinarily have pasta or rice. None of these are just like pasta, though they're all delicious in their own rights. I say just have the pasta if it's what you really want. (Me, I'm more of a sauce gal -- so I splurge on delicious sauces and don't mind using lower-cal bases.)

Also, I'm sorry to say that "garlic bread" sounds terrible. I commend you for sticking to your goals in the face of... that.
  • wshultz14
    wshultz14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try spaghetti squash
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash - it is awesome!

No need to lie, esp in a direct comparison to actual pasta it is no where near awesome
    Truth. People generally rationalize there compulsion to replace pasta with something else......reminds me when Dustin Hofman asked Steve McQeen in Pappillon after a few years in confinement how he looked, and McQueen said, you look good. Lies all lies pasta is pasta, nothing replaces it.:happy:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I made spaghetti with meatsauce last week. 2 oz uncooked pasta resulted in 5.55 oz cooked pasta, which is A LOT of pasta. I weighed out 2.5 ounces cooked pasta on my plate and it's only a tiny bit less than what I would have normally guessed I could eat, and it was plenty with the sauce. I logged it as 1 oz uncooked (even though it was slightly less) and that's 105 calories. Not a lot. And if I was really hungry, I'd manage to fit in the 210 calories for a full serving. Eat some pasta.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. Nothing replaces pasta. If you really want it just plan ahead!

Other posters have made great substitutions, here is 1 more:
    I make myself a stuffed pepper filled with brown rice and lots of meat sauce.
  • LindaFromNH
    LindaFromNH Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    RE: Shirataki Noodles

Buying one bag the first time you try them is a good suggestion... After trying them it was kind of iffy for me the first time, but then I put the cooked noodles between 2 paper towels and dried them a little and they were fine for me... I guess it all comes down to your personal taste, but try them and see if they work for you... I love that there is basically protein and no carbs etc... Important in my weight loss.

These are made out of Yam flour but the ones I get have tofu... Try them both and see if you like them.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles
  • angraham2
    angraham2 Posts: 128
    Options
    Try Dream Fields pasta. It is low carb, high fiber, and high protien. It fills you up fast, and my family can't tell it's not regular pasta! Here is some info, but you can order on line, or wal mart carries it.

Choose from 7 popular pastas: Spaghetti, Angel Hair, Linguine, Elbows, Penne Rigate, Rotini and Lasagna. 5 grams of fiber and 7 grams of plant protein per serving
    Helps you feel full with a balance of fibers and plant proteins
    Prebiotic fiber helps promote healthy digestion
    Taste and texture of traditional pasta

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 190 Calories From Fat 10
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 1g 2 %
    Saturated Fat 0g 0 %
    Trans Fat 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0 %
    Sodium 10mg** 0 %
    Total Carbohydrate 41g 14 %
    Dietary Fiber 5g 20 %
    Soluble Fiber 3g
    Insoluble Fiber 2g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 7g
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti is good. When I want spaghetti I have spaghetti. 50g uncooked.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Just eat the dang pasta.

No substitution will be the "same". It's not worth the hassle. If you want pasta, make room for pasta.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...what's wrong with pasta?

I eat pasta all the time. I'm losing weight.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the carbs left to fit in a serving of pasta which is the only way I would turn down a nice serving of whole wheat or white noodles then go for spaghetti squash. Stuff is pretty good. Just cut it down the middle. Drizzle with EVOO. garlic seasoning, salt, and pepper and roast.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You know that it's 1/4 cup (or more specifically, two weighted ounces) of DRY pasta that's ~200 calories, right? It cooks up into a very nice, normal serving size.

It's not a matter of dry vs cooked, OP is confusing ounces with fluid ounces. Pasta doesn't expand 4 times its volume when cooked ffs.
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well, I have not got a scale yet and I read somewhere that 1/4 equals 2 oz in pasta. Good to know I could do a cup, I may just do half a cup :). I know I could get lower calorie bread but I LOVE that bread and it is totally worth the extra calories, at least so far.

So just to make sure I have it right, 1 cup of cooked spaghetti is 2 oz?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Well, I have not got a scale yet and I read somewhere that 1/4 equals 2 oz in pasta. Good to know I could do a cup, I may just do half a cup :). I know I could get lower calorie bread but I LOVE that bread and it is totally worth the extra calories, at least so far.

So just to make sure I have it right, 1 cup of cooked spaghetti is 2 oz?

Roughly, yeah...

And now I want spaghetti and meatballs dang it.
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    hahaha.....I'm looking forward to pasta :D