I just had my teeth removed: What can I eat ?

Options
RachNRoll
RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
I'm back home from the dentist, and I got 2 teeth removed (a first molar and a second bicuspid). I have a bunch of stitches and I'm not supposed to eat anything warm or hot for the next 3 days, let alone hard things.
I guess I need some ideas and help on suggestions. I skipped lunch today because I was too nervous and frightened for the dentist so I'm hungry...

P.S. Next friday I'm removing another one, so I really need a lot of ideas to keep myself fed and healthy.

Thank you *

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I had my wisdom teeth out 2 at a time and had to deal with the stiches too. The main thing is to stay away from stuff that can get stuck in the stitches like rice and most grains. I ate a lot of soup (lukewarm) and mashed up vegetables ( mushy carrots, peas, ect.).
    Smoothies are good too but nothing thru a straw. Good luck.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation, but it is not as bad as you think.
    You can make yourself smoothies, eat Greek yoghurt with blended fruits, drink milk shakes, soup that needs no chewing. Avoid anything that contains seeds or that you need to chew.
    After each meal, gurgle with some salt (!) water, it will kill bacteria and helps the healing.
    Best of luck
    Stef.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    You can make yourself smoothies, eat Greek yoghurt with blended fruits, drink milk shakes, soup that needs no chewing. Avoid anything that contains seeds or that you need to chew.
    After each meal, gurgle with some salt (!) water, it will kill bacteria and helps the healing.
    All of this!

Also great is cheese, oatmeal, mashed potatoes or other mashed starches, beans, peanut butter and other spreads!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    jelly
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This is like the ultimate excuse to eat ice cream all day long....lucky....
  • RachNRoll
    Options
    I had my wisdom teeth out 2 at a time and had to deal with the stiches too. The main thing is to stay away from stuff that can get stuck in the stitches like rice and most grains. I ate a lot of soup (lukewarm) and mashed up vegetables ( mushy carrots, peas, ect.).
    Smoothies are good too but nothing thru a straw. Good luck.

mashed potatos and peas actually sound delicious, I'll do that.
    Best of luck
    Stef.

Thank you for the advice, I didn't knew about the salt water.
    I just made a huge smoothie with banana, crackers and a tablespoon of coconut oil, since I had to eat before taking the meds and it was delicious :D

This is like the ultimate excuse to eat ice cream all day long....lucky....

Everyone keeps telling me that :P I'm saving the ice cream day for thursday ;)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If it had been all of your teeth, I had a joke ready...

...but just two?

*sigh*

Never mind.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Soft sandwiches. Tuna salad, egg salad, minus the crunchy veggies. Soups, wraps, chicken.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i had jamba juices(smoothies), ice creams, and bread dipped in sweet milk and whatever soft things i could manage. I managed to go over on calories even wth 3 wisdom tooth removed at a time LOL
  • RachNRoll
    Options
    i had jamba juices(smoothies), ice creams, and bread dipped in sweet milk and whatever soft things i could manage. I managed to go over on calories even wth 3 wisdom tooth removed at a time LOL

wow 3 at the time?
    I'm trying to be on my calorie limit, but since I hadn't exercised much today, I went overboard by 150cal... I'll try to make it up to myself by running more tomorrow.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Read the list the dentist gave you.
    Unless he/she didn't....then bad dentist *slaps hand*
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

...but just two?

*sigh*

Never mind.

Just say banana
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

...but just two?

*sigh*

Never mind.

IKR?? I was all set to bomb on here like "Dude, NO WAY!"

2 teeth. Sheesh! :wink:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    When my husband had his wisdom teeth extracted (all four at once) I made him a lot of soup in the blender. He also ate plenty of yogurt, pudding, ice cream and sorbet. By about the fourth day he was so hungry for something "real" I pureed a quarter pounder with cheese and he ate it with a spoon. Then I pureed some fries with ketchup and he ate that with a spoon. We haven't eaten at McDonald's for years now but he'll still tell you that it was the best hamburger he's ever eaten. :laugh: I had to turn away while he ate it.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    And if you're looking for a meal replacement drink, Orgain is WAY better than the chemical-laden ones like Ensure.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I had the same two out a month ago on the top right - scambled eggs! - Smoothies, but no straws. You'll be chewing just fine in a couple of days.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And if you're looking for a meal replacement drink, Orgain is WAY better than the chemical-laden ones like Ensure.

Looks like Orgain is full of "chemicals" too though.

http://drinkorgain.com/orgain_html/ingredients.html

ETA: NTTAWWT
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Chemical laden? Like this?

21crv9g.jpg
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    All i have to include is to agree with avoiding straws. I had no idea the issues they caused until this last tooth got pulled, the dentist now hands out a packet of spare gauze and a little chart of things not to do. I think the straw thing was the reason my one took so long to stop bleeding. I'd also make sure to put the food in the side of your mouth that doesn't have the stitches even if you have to hold your head at an angle, silly i know but it's just some extra care to avoid anything getting in the stitches. Plus i'm betting the area is going to be sensitive to cold too.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    The salt water rinses work to decrease soreness not kill bacteria but are very useful. Also if you experiance bleeding put a teabag on the site and bite down.