eating 1200 calories, not losing weight

Options
For the past two months I've been eating about 1200 calories a day, sometimes it's less. My net is usually 800-900 calories. I'm 5'7'' amd weigh 160lbs, I'm also a vegetarian which makes it hard for me to eat healthy and reach my calorie goal. I workout 6 times a week and burn somewhere between 500-850 calories depending on my workout. Usually it's an hour of cardio and an hour of circuit training each day. I've kept this up for about two months and have had no weight loss. Am I starving my body, should I up my calorie intake? It just feels like I'm working so hard for nothing, my boyfriend suggested that I'm not getting enough nutrients in my diet and should try and eat a little bit of chicken each week, which I dont want to do because I'm a vegetarian and have been since the fourth grade. I just dont know what else to do, I really want to have a healty body that I feel comfortable with.

Replies

• SummerRain43
    Options
    ok.....everyone is going to tell you to eat more......I know it's hard to get your head around it but it is true.....just want to let you know what's coming.....:).....
  • AirieBerry
    AirieBerry Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to drink more water? What kinds of food are you eating? Because 1200 calories of ice cream, french fries, and cookies is a whole lot different than 1200 calories of fruits, vegetables, and other healthy things.
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and currently 156lbs. 3 weeks ago I upped my calories from the base level of 1200 to my BMR which for me is 1379 and my dismal weight loss has completely changed to fast, steady weight loss. I would definitely calculate your BMR and consider eating those calories at the minimum. Given all your exercise and activity level, you might also consider calculating your TDEE. Many people on MFP are eat at 20% less their TDEE and getting amazing results. I am petite and small framed so the 1200 was close to my calorie target, but I suspect your body needs far more than you are offering.
  • FarTooJones
    Options
    if your eating around 1200 and then working out, your in starvation mode. Say your burning 200 calories working out, your netting 1000 calories, and you need to net 1200 at a minimum.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Your boyfriend is right, there's a good chance you're not eating enough nutrients. From what is said around here, the guideline is at least 1200 calories daily and then eat back at least 1/2 your exercise calories daily.

Again those are guidelines, but they tend to be correct for a majority of people. There is a small group of people out there that aren't going to lose unless they severely restrict something in their diet (carb intolerance, gluten intolerance, etc.) but it is a small group.

For calorie dense, but also fairly good for you things, think nuts. If you feel you can't increase volume, then do what you can to increase the calories. Peanut butter is highly recommended if you don't have a nut allergy.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing 1200 calories??
    Do you weigh and measure all your food??
    Are you being honest with your tracking??

But 1200 calories is pretty low for most people
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    ok.....everyone is going to tell you to eat more......I know it's hard to get your head around it but it is true.....just want to let you know what's coming.....:).....

Why would anyone tell her that?

OP - if you are not losing weight, you are not in a deficit. How do you track your calories? Do you use a food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids? Log everything you put in your mouth?

ETA: Your logging looks incomplete. Also, you are entering a lot of restaurant food which has a high margin of error. And 'a scoop' of ice cream is not going to be accurate for something that is calorie dense. You are going to need to invest in a food scale.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    if your eating around 1200 and then working out, your in starvation mode. Say your burning 200 calories working out, your netting 1000 calories, and you need to net 1200 at a minimum.

No.
  • cinnamonkitty
    Options
    Why does being a vegetarian make it difficult to eat healthy and reach your calorie ? Your boyfriend probably thinks meat = protein so he's really saying is you more protein in your diet.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on a 1250 calorie goal, you should add me!

Most likely you are overestimating your calories burned and/or not accurately tracking your foods.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to drink more water? What kinds of food are you eating? Because 1200 calories of ice cream, french fries, and cookies is a whole lot different than 1200 calories of fruits, vegetables, and other healthy things.

not for weight loss...
  • IrishGabriella
    IrishGabriella Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on a 1250 calorie goal, you should add me!

Most likely you are overestimating your calories burned and/or not accurately tracking your foods.

Me too, I just recently upped my daily calories from 1200. From looking at your diary you don't seem to be eating proper meals. Though I'm the same My diary is far from healthy recently.

You can get plenty of the nutrients you need being a vegetarian.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Underestimating intake, overestimating output.

You are not in starvation mode.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look through my diary if you'd like -- I'm also a vegetarian and average 120g of veggie protein a day. It's more challenging to get protein in when you don't eat meat, but it's not impossible.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Need to eat more. You body needs a minimal amount of calories just for daily functions, not even counting exercise. What about adding other sources of lean proteins other than meats? Beans, Tofu, greek yogurt? I am 5"9 at 140 and am consuming 2000+ a day currently.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

OP - if you are not losing weight, you are not in a deficit. How do you track your calories? Do you use a food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids? Log everything you put in your mouth?

ETA: Your logging looks incomplete. Also, you are entering a lot of restaurant food which has a high margin of error. And 'a scoop' of ice cream is not going to be accurate for something that is calorie dense. You are going to need to invest in a food scale.

This. The people saying you need to eat more have absolutely no idea.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

This is right. If you want to lose weight, don't eat more. It just doesn't work like that.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

A list of protein sources for vegetarians.
  • thatstheticket
    thatstheticket Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, it appears that you are eating fast food every single day. McDonald's, Burger King, Olive Garden... cookies, bagels... and your exercise calories are nearly 1000 each time. That is a huge amount. Are you sure that is accurate? If you don't have a scale already, invest in one. They are the best, at least for tracking food from home.