not feeling very confident :(

Options
So, my first day was defiantely not a success. I didnt even count my calories but im almost positive i went WAY over. I need major motivation to eat better, exercise, everything. Please Help!
i really want this

Replies

• Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    Tomorrow is a fresh start! Don't beat yourself up, just have an aim to do better tomorrow!

We're all human and have days we're not proud of....

:o)
  • SassyStef
    Options
    If there is a day that I dont wanna log because I feel I went over, I log them any way. It helps me to look back and hold myself accountable to not do it again.
    I also have my goals written out on my mirror in my bathroom, positive sayings and stuff too.

Tomorrow is another day, dont beat yourself up, just do better the next day :smile:
  • Cake_Fiend
    Cake_Fiend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's not worth getting upset over. Just remind yourself why you're doing this. And log those calories tomorrow. You might be surprised about how little you've actually eaten and it'll help you to see where you're going wrong. Draw a line under today, tomorrow's a new one!
  • tina8884
    Options
    its okay just try again tomorrow. its better if you plan your meals out ahead of time that way you can stay in your range better. good luck :)
  • bameyers
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I just feel so worthless after doing so horribly. Cause i go into it with an open mind but cant stop myself!
  • iceangel055
    Options
    Today is a great teaching lesson for yourself. It shows you what you are currently eating and why what you were eating was not effective previously. Each day is a new day. You can not beat yourself up and if you realize you had one meal that wasnt that great, you need to realize that you shouldnt just say "forget it, i ruined it so why not have a half a tub of ice cream."

For about the first week on here, I wasn't as concerned about how many calories I went over or under, I was more proud of myself for having kept up with filling out my food diary. After the week, I looked back at the week and saw why I was going over my calories and where I needed to adjust.

Everyone has a bad day, but you made the right choice today by joining MFP, and just remember you have a great group of supportive people here that are going through the same thing. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    If there is a day that I dont wanna log because I feel I went over, I log them any way. It helps me to look back and hold myself accountable to not do it again.
    I also have my goals written out on my mirror in my bathroom, positive sayings and stuff too.

Tomorrow is another day, dont beat yourself up, just do better the next day :smile:
    What great suggestions!!:flowerforyou:

I know it's hard to log when you think you went over in the beginning but it really does help with getting into the habit of actually *seeing* what foods you're eating and where the trouble spots might be. That's actually a huge part of the success of how MFP works for ppl.

Some members join, continue to eat normal (their former ways) and log that to see how many cals they are taking in and when. That can help in a number of ways as you really do see the junk food that slips by nearly unnoticed and can then learn trigger times etc.

Great to have you join us:wink: and please be patient with yourself changes can take a bit of time, but you'll get there!:flowerforyou:
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    You can do this!

Try planning your meals for the day the night before if you can. Also, you may find it easier if you commit to changing one thing a week instead of making a whole bunch of changes all at once. For example, this week you could commit to doing 15 minutes of cardio every day. It may mean the journey takes longer but your more likely to stick with the lifestyle change if you can make the transition easy for yourself.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Ok, when you first learn to walk, swim, ride a bike, drive a car, learn algebra...you make mistakes! How do we learn and get better at them? Practice. Practice. Practice. You fall down, you get back up. Don't give up. It will not be perfect at first...heck it won't ever be perfect. The sooner you accept that, the better. You will have good days and bad days. The key is to keep logging your food and your exercise. It is the long term results that truly matter.

When I first started this, I logged everything and couldn't believe how much I had been eating. The first couple of weeks are the hardest in my opinion. Keep logging, no matter what. That lets you look at what you are eating, and then you can see where you can make changes like: hmm, I don't need all that butter on that, or maybe I can cut it to one scoop of ice cream, or what about replacing the bread with whole grain bread, lower fat cheese, lower calorie butter, you get the idea. That's what I started doing and it definitely makes a difference. DO NOT beat yourself up! It's good to see what you are doing so you can arm yourself with the knowledge you need to make those changes. Keep it up!! Good luck hon!! :flowerforyou:
  • shawkir
    shawkir Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Log calories throughout the day. I log onto MFP at work to track breakfast and lunch. That way I dont have to remember what I ate when I get home. Also helps me to plan what I can have for dinner and snack and stay on track for the day.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Ok, when you first learn to walk, swim, ride a bike, drive a car, learn algebra...you make mistakes! How do we learn and get better at them? Practice. Practice. Practice. You fall down, you get back up. Don't give up. It will not be perfect at first...heck it won't ever be perfect. The sooner you accept that, the better. You will have good days and bad days. The key is to keep logging your food and your exercise. It is the long term results that truly matter.

When I first started this, I logged everything and couldn't believe how much I had been eating. The first couple of weeks are the hardest in my opinion. Keep logging, no matter what. That lets you look at what you are eating, and then you can see where you can make changes like: hmm, I don't need all that butter on that, or maybe I can cut it to one scoop of ice cream, or what about replacing the bread with whole grain bread, lower fat cheese, lower calorie butter, you get the idea. That's what I started doing and it definitely makes a difference. DO NOT beat yourself up! It's good to see what you are doing so you can arm yourself with the knowledge you need to make those changes. Keep it up!! Good luck hon!! :flowerforyou:
    This! Oh so true, I hear you on so much of what you shared up above!:wink::flowerforyou:

Yet another great reason we :heart: MFP, everyone sharing what's worked and not worked for them to help others succeed!

I love how so many jumped right in to help her out and cheer her along.. made the last of my night simply wonderful!!:smooched:
  • SafariLara
    Options
    eventually your body will learn not to want so many high calorie foods. Until then, it only takes 21 days to make a habit right? Make it a habit to eat healthy and it will get so much easier
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It's okay! I found that I cannot accomplish everything in one day. Just take one step at a time.

Tomorrow is a new day!

You CAN do this!

L.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Also, you may find it easier if you commit to changing one thing a week instead of making a whole bunch of changes all at once.

I totally agree w/ what the others are saying.

First - it's hard to make lots of changes overnight. More power to you if you can, but it feels very do-able to make one small change at a time. You have to be patient with yourself!!

Second - you ate what you ate regardless of if you logged it or not! Not logging b/c you went over is sort of like saying, the food doesn't count if I ate it all with my eyes shut. Like kapplyblu wrote - I was sort of astounded to see how much I was eating when I first joined the site. It's like I have the appetite of a 6'-6" tall lumberjack trapped in my 5'-0" tall body!! I also found the logging to be helpful just to get you to pay attention to quantities - doesn't matter if you are going over at first - this is a learning experience for the rest of you life...

Third - after you get used to logging in, you will see patterns and you will be able to make better choices: Do I want that beer today or would I rather use those calories on food? Etc.

Keep going! :flowerforyou:
    This is about you being in good health for the rest of your life - it's okay if it doesn't happen overnight! It's also about you learning how to do this in a way that works for you. Good luck! :glasses:
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Ive been on this site for a year in November. It took me the first 6 months to log everyday to slowly teach myself how to do this and figure out what worked for me . . . but more importantly . . . what didn't work.

Log every morsel, be completely honest.

I have learned so much more about myself from my "bad" days or bad choices. This is a self awakening journey and until you get to know yourself better and can evaluate yourself you will never even take the first few steps of the journey.

In mid May I really tweaked my food, only eating clean honest natural food, homemaking and PLANNING and preparing everything myself. The better your plan the better your results. But remember I had to learn how to plan by taking that bumpy road and seeing it in black and white on my Food tab daily.

Since mid may I have lost 45 pounds . . . maybe a bit more as I haven't gotten on a scale in a few weeks now. You can do it but give yourself the time to learn how. When you have a bad day/choice . . . reflect at the end of the day, look at those red numbers and try to discover how you felt, did it really make you happy or were you filling another void with food.

For the first time in my life I know im setting myself up for the rest of my life to be as healthy as I possibly can. Take one day at a time, every morning tell yourself that "I create myself with the choices I make today" and mean it. Just focus on one day at a time.

Good luck to you!
  • Depplover28
    Options
    This is just one day! In retrospect, it's really no big deal. Just tell yourself tomorrow will be better, and make it better. Keep thinking of your goal everytime you go to eat something. It's the big picture that really counts. Keep your head up and stay positive :]
  • Littlebrew
    Options
    Whenever, you have an off day don't let that deter you from still striving to achieve your goal. It's not going to happen over night, when I was feeling down about not losing my first goal of weight loss. My mother said something so simple but clarifying to me " You didn't gain the weight over night so you aren't going to lose it overnight." You can't give up when it gets hard because that's the time when you have to muster up the strenght to move forward. Don't beat yourself up, set back happens, but the next day can bring about a clear head, and a better sense of direction. Also, we are all up here to achieve our own personal weight loss goals but to motivate each other along the way. So, keep your head up and press on, new starts occur the moment you open your eyes the following morning. Good Luck.........