eating 1200 calories, not losing weight

Options

Replies

• Kszczesniak6
    Kszczesniak6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat a bit more. Your body is holding on to weight because it thinks there's a food shortage and is holding on to all it can. As for eating chicken, you definitely do not need to...I'm vegan and have no problems meeting my nutritional needs without junk food (100% natural and plant-based), so message/add me if you'd like some tips/advice on eating plant-based :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Underestimating intake, overestimating output.

You are not in starvation mode.
    dingdingding
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ok.....everyone is going to tell you to eat more......I know it's hard to get your head around it but it is true.....just want to let you know what's coming.....:).....

Why would anyone tell her that?

OP - if you are not losing weight, you are not in a deficit. How do you track your calories? Do you use a food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids? Log everything you put in your mouth?

ETA: Your logging looks incomplete. Also, you are entering a lot of restaurant food which has a high margin of error. And 'a scoop' of ice cream is not going to be accurate for something that is calorie dense. You are going to need to invest in a food scale.

This. The people saying you need to eat more have absolutely no idea.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just went through this. It was ALL ABOUT THE LOGGING
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    You've been logging food for.......9 days. Your post makes it seem much longer since you are discussing workouts for the past several months. Log accurately and consistently for the next several months. Best of luck.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    At this point, you need to up your calorie count to 1400-1500. If you are burning that many calories a day, you are starving your body so its holding on to what it can. Try upping your calories for a week or two and then see where you are at in the weight loss area.
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    I think it's what you are eating - and what you are not getting enough of. I am also vegetarian - trying for vegan. I generally net at least 1500, sometimes over 2000 and I've been able to lose weight. It's slow, but I'm in no rush. I'm on the last 10 lbs.

Are you eating anything processed? I have noticed that some vegetarians/vegans may not eat meat/dairy, but they eat processed foods.

Many will tell you it's calories in/calories out.....and while there may be studies that back it up, there are also those who believe (and who have had success) eating WAY ABOVE what MFP recommends - and successfully lost weight. I am one of those. THis is primarily because of WHAT I eat - and also that the settings are too low.

MFP had originally told me to eat about 1300 calories when I first started. I was 178 and 5'5" - I was STARVING and grumpy. I upped my calories to 1650 net and lost about 25 lbs in 6 months. I'm currently putting my settings at 1500, but I eat over at least once a week and still have either maintained or lost weight in the last 1.5 months I returned. I'm on the last 5-8 lbs, so I'm okay moving slowly. I'm currently at the point where I am more concerned about inches vs. weight on the scale.

Hope that helps somehow. :P
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Underestimating intake, overestimating output.

You are not in starvation mode.

AGREE!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree. You have to be accurate with logging to find the routine that works best for you.

A year ago or so under a different name, I was tracking 1200 calories per day and figured the few bites extra that I had, like a sip of husband's beer, wouldn't amount to enough to prevent me from losing weight. Well, I wasn't losing weight. And since I had various sips and nibbles that never got logged, I never figured out what would work for me. This time around, I'm trying to be accurate. I can't find a calorie count for one sip of beer, but I can find it for 12 ounces and divide from there.
  • cldpk
    cldpk Posts: 2
    Options
    How do you find out what your BMR is?
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I started eating at 2000 and I gained weight, went down to 1500, still gaining weight, then 1200, still gaining.

I went to my doctor who sent me to the hospital where they tested my BMR and found out it was 801 - 911. A recreational therapist calculated my TDEE to be around 1100. So it's perfectly healthy for me to eat between 911 - 1100 calories a day. I have upped my TDEE to about 1500 now, on some days. I eat to my BMR plus exercise now.

My advice would be to get your BMR tested. You never know. Mine was sooo much lower than the online calculators and it's not like I have any medical issues that would affect it.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Eat more.....lift even more.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    How do you find out what your BMR is?

Go to your doctor. Don't trust the online calc's. Your doctor can send you to the hospital where they will test it. It takes one night.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    eat.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    At this point, you need to up your calorie count to 1400-1500. If you are burning that many calories a day, you are starving your body so its holding on to what it can. Try upping your calories for a week or two and then see where you are at in the weight loss area.

If she bumps up her calories without addressing the fact she's not logging accurately and vastly overestimating her caloric burns she's gonna start gaining weight.

Just saying.

Next time I see a thread about 'OMG Sabotage!' I'm gonna point people here. The responses here are sabotage.
  • snappingosprey
    snappingosprey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat a bit more. Your body is holding on to weight because it thinks there's a food shortage and is holding on to all it can.

So basically what you are saying is that a person's metabolism just shuts down in order to conserve its energy sources (fat and muscle). Think about that for a second. In order to hold on to its energy reserves, a person's body must slow or stop its metabolism. Otherwise it would keep on burning its reserves, even at rest.

Now you see how this is a myth and completely false.
    http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm

The OP has no calorie deficit, and as others noted, is likely not calculating energy out and energy in properly.

Her metabolism has matched her energy in/out, hence maintaining her current weight.
    She either needs to cut down the calories, increase output (exercise) or both.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mqfr0zierP1qz4rgp.gif
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Eat more.....lift even more.

qft
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also think it is what you are eating which frankly is quite a bit of junk food which is very high in sodium. Study up on nutrition. You can eat healthy and be vegetarian...research. Also if you have only been doing this 9 days, you would not expect a huge loss, especially considering your sodium intake.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

If she bumps up her calories without addressing the fact she's not logging accurately and vastly overestimating her caloric burns she's gonna start gaining weight.

Just saying.

Next time I see a thread about 'OMG Sabotage!' I'm gonna point people here. The responses here are sabotage.

Yep

OP: this is a math thing, your math is off. That means that you are either underestimating your intake, or overestimating your burns. Or a bit of both. I can tell you that even though I weigh more than you, when I trail run for 2 hours straight, my burn is around 800 calories. My burn for an hour of aerobics is probably about 300-325 calories, if I work myself.

Also, your protein intake is insanely low. While this may not impact your weightloss, there are reasons to eat more of it than you are. Try replacing some of the cookies with some protein, like whey powder, morningstar farms products, or maybe some of the gardein yumminess. For example, a couple of breakfast patties on your bagel in the morning would add about 160 calories, and 20 grams of protein. I do love cookies, don't get me wrong, but try to hit your protein needs first, and then if there are calories left eat your treats.