I want to do a 5K but...

Options
I'm not able to run yet....is it worth it to go if I'm only able to walk?

Replies

• Nightfall30
    Nightfall30 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sign up for one which is few months away, and find a beginners program like couch to 5K. When I started running (not too long ago), I could hardly run 30 s, now I can run nearly 10 mins at a stretch!
  • ef21178
    ef21178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes! Absolutely! The race atmosphere is so wonderful, even if you're only walking. Maybe just being in that atmosphere will inspire you to run your next 5k ;) Good luck!!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely worth it.
    I have done 2 Turkey Trots (5K)
    Walked them both. There were a lot of people walking.
    Do what works for you. I am not a runner so it works for me.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to run yet....is it worth it to go if I'm only able to walk?

You are literally trying to run before you can walk. Even walking 5k is better than sitting on your bum doing nothing.
    Why not take a look at the NHS couch to 5k - this will ease you from walking into jogging, improving fitness slowly over 9 weeks.
    I will be starting this when the nights draw out.
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k last month and mostly walked it because I was terrified that if I attempted to jog at all, I would be done before I reached half way. I think it is totally worth it. I went with a group of moms in my neighborhood and we had done some training, but not much given the lovely winter we're all having. I did get a time chip to track my results because I want to get better/faster, but I don't ever even thing of being fast, just better. I used to be terrified of moving my tush 1 mile down the road, now I know I can do 3.1miles and that self-knowledge is exhilerating. Just pick a race you feel good about, recruit some friends/family to join in your walk and enjoy. Anything is better than not challenging yourself. The hardest part as a walker is at the beginning of the race when the faster participants are shuffling/dashing past you but after about 15 minutes, most people are in their groove and pace and its pleasant from then on.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Do it, there are always plenty of walkers at the ones I have been to. Good thing, because I don't run the whole way ever :) I just enjoy the atmospher and it is something fun to do with friends that doesn't involve food (although it usuallty does after)
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    yep. I ran/walked one in August. Loads of people were there just walking.
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K ever at the Elk Grove, CA Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. I will be participating in my second 5K on April 13th at the Settle Seahawks 12th Man event. I go as a walker and there are many of us who do. There is really no downside to walking 3.1 miles and you will not be sorry if you do! :-)
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There's a great 5K we do in Vermont called "Corporate Cup." I've run it twice and walked it once. BOTH times I ran, I had walkers pass me. They can speed walk like it's their j-o-b. The walking year was great - I went with a group of gals and chatted the whole time. I love 5Ks. Do it even if you have to walk!
  • klalsaleh
    klalsaleh Posts: 13
    Options
    why not? are u really posting this question? go for it..it doesnt matter how u do it, just get it done..LOL!!! GO!!!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I don't run and I do 5ks all the time. It's just a fun thing to do. Even walking, it only takes about an hour to do a 5k. Have fun and good luck!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Yup and have fun - if you want to start challenging yourself start the couch to 5k program - but walking the entire thing is also okay and fun as everyone else has posted! I am sure you will have a good time!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No buts get out there walk run whatever!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Go for it!

If you are walking, please line up near the back of the starting line. Some of the runners are much more interested in their own PR (personal record) than in not trampling the slowpokes who lined up too close to the front.

Also, if you start in the back and decide you can PASS some of the other walkers it'll be a great feeling. Try not to trample them, either . ;)
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a 5K yet that didn't have a significant number of walkers. I walked my first two last year and had a blast. You'll feel great about yourself, get some great exercise, and probably score a t-shirt and a free banana and bottle of water!

Go for it! By walking you're still finishing faster than everyone else on the sidelines!
  • Ataris9
    Ataris9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely go for it. I just signed up for a fun run called the color run. You do not necessarily have to run because it's for fun!
    I just started running again so I'm not ready for a serious 5k and this fun run is in 2 weeks.
  • lauriebeakley1
    Options
    I'm doing my very first 5k this year with friends that have never done a 5k before & it's The Color Run! We don't plan on running but we plan on having fun. If we break out into a jog...cool! If we don't, we're still out being active, spending time together and enjoying ourselves.
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it to try? Hell yea! Walk, jog, whatever... there will be crazy sprinter people, and those who can barely walk. Just go.
    We all started somewhere, You may even decide it was fun.
  • Mommyof3lovesyou
    Options
    I did a color run...I walked and I made it to the finish in a little under 1 hour. It was alot of fun with the color cornstarch being thrown at you at different stations.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should definitely do the 5K. I'm not a runner either but will walk, jog and maybe do some running in my first 5K this spring.