Jogging / Running while overweight?

Options
I'm about 100 lbs overweight but have a goal to do a 5k this year. Has anyone else tried jogging / running while as overweight as I am? What was your experience with it? I'm scared it will destroy my knees and or give me shinsplints / fractures. Right now I don't even jog on the treadmill, but I want to run a 5k within the next 6 months. That does give me some time to lose some weight, i've already dropped 40 pounds in 2 months but I expect my rate of loss to decrease the less I weigh.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people run 5k and further while more than 100 lbs overweight. Get fit for good shoes, learn good running form, start slow, build patiently, listen to your body as you progress.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    That is a great goal--congratulations! Don't forget to do some cross training < biking, strength > to balance out the running. I developed knee pain due to muscle strength imbalance in my legs making my patella track poorly-->improved with lunges, squats, deadlifts, and lots of stretching!

Have fun! You can do it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you have lots of time to train so you can totally do this, and I have seen lots of success stories with people heavier than you running! I was about 100lbs overweight when I started too. A lot of people love the couch to 5k app so look into that, it might work out well. Just remember to start out slow slow slow, it is annoying but that's the best way to acclimate, prevent injury, and keep with it. Have fun and get started!

p.s. feel free to friend me if you want a fellow running buddy :)
  • HappinessFreedomForever
    Options
    40 lbs in 2 months is a lot of weight. I am sure you're building stamina as you're losing weight, so start training at the gym and consult with a doctor, and you should be good. All the best! :)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I actually gave myself stress fractures in both tibia when I first started running BUT I had also been a smoker for 20 years and smoking is bad for bone density plus I had crappy shoes. Not saying it will happen to you. I'd say go to a running store to get fitted for a quality running shoe, run on treadmills or grass to start and I second the cross training on the bike

I've come a long way since my injury and am currently training for a marathon. Believe and and achieve. You CAN totally do this.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I am about 100 pounds overweight as well, personally I have always wanted to run and jog, and I recently tried it. My mother kept telling me that I was too heavy and my knees would hurt, I kept putting it off, but I should have listened. x.x My knees were killing me and running would them hurt really for almost a week! I started doing the elliptical and its the best! Once I lose more weight, I would like to try running again, hopefully there won't be pain.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for running shoes and take it slow. c25k is amazing!!!! I completed my first (and not last) half marathon this past September. I'm far from "skinny".
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I was doing the C25K program & was running for 15 mins non stop at 80lbs overweight. Its doable!! And very rewarding!! The best advice is to get the best quality shoes you can afford. Go to a running store (if you are near one) not just a sports store, but a specialty store where they can analyze your gait & stuff like that, have them pick out the shoes that suit you best. Don't be vain & pick the coolest looking or snazziest ones. Mine are hideous. THey look like clown shoes. But they feel like clouds on my feet & my knees & ankles feel great. Thats what matters.

GOod luck!!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Depending on which chart you look at, I'm still between 75 and 90 pounds overweight. I recently started the C25K program. I am taking it slow, repeating weeks of the program when I feel like I'm not yet ready to progress, and using the treadmill to avoid potholes, ice, mud, and other hazards. I haven't injured myself running at all.

However, about two weeks ago I woke up, turned over on my back, and stretched my legs out. One knee popped loudly and hurt really bad. Its finally starting to feel normal again now. I thought it was sort of ironic that I was so afraid of hurting myself running, and yet running didn't hurt me at all. However, I managed to hurt myself without getting out of bed. Go figure.

Injury is always a risk in life, take whatever precautions you can, go slowly and listen to your body... if your body tells you to back off then do so for a time and try again after further training. Don't set yourself a strict time limit, yeah it would be nice to do in the next 6 months, but if it takes you 8, 9, or 12 months is it any less of an accomplishment???

You probably CAN do it in the time you want, but be flexible if your body needs it. Give yourself recovery days in between running days, but they don't have to be complete relaxation days, you can use them to do strength training, swimming, bicycling, walking, or whatever. Of course there is nothing wrong with an occasional day where you just rest either. :happy:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and easy and listen to your body; if it says slow down then do so. I like doing some running even though I am still a bit overweight; In my early 50s though, at 100 lbs overweight (at the time), I could not do it; but now, I can but have to be careful (about 20# over now)
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    All good advice - combine them: Touch base with Dr and couch to 5k. Get good shoes. It might take you longer to build up and if your knees hurt, slow down. I did C25k a couple of years ago - almost made it to 5 k but it got too cold.
    Remember, you do not have to be fast. I can jog slower than most people walk :laugh: Will start again this spring (once the temp gets above freezing).
    Good luck to you!
  • BenPVolk
    BenPVolk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. The shoes will have to wait a little while as I'll have to budget for them. I think I'll hold off jogging until then as well. I currently do more than an hour on the elliptical machine or walking briskly on an incline treadmill. As the weather warms up I'll do some hiking as well. Hopefully that'll prep me enough.

I'm not sure where to start with learning good running technique but I'll look into it.