I'm looking for a meal replacement shake. Shakeology?

Options
I am new to meal replacement shakes and am looking for input on what is the best route to go. I have read mixed reviews on shakeology benefits and price. What about ideal shape or gnc lean? Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade shakes? I am looking to have a healthier alternative for breakfast and feel a healthy shake is the way to go.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am new to meal replacement shakes and am looking for input on what is the best route to go. I have read mixed reviews on shakeology benefits and price. What about ideal shape or gnc lean? Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade shakes? I am looking to have a healthier alternative for breakfast and feel a healthy shake is the way to go.

The best route to go is to avoid them. For a quick breakfast eggs and some bacon
  • arielkaylou
    arielkaylou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology daily. I love it. You can mix and match it with nearly anything so you don't get bored with it. I'm always running late and it's easy for me to fix a shake and run to work
  • cc176306
    cc176306 Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you tried any other shake brands? Do you feel shakeology is worth the price? I think the price and some of the negative revies is what has me torn.
  • cc176306
    Options
    Yeah, I eat a fairly healthy breakfast and was just looking for another way to add some super foods to my diet. Are you familiar with any supplements/powders that I could add to smoothies or something for some added protein and nutrition?
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I just love making homemade shakes with protein purchased from any grocery/Target/Walmart. There are SO many. I have been doing a protein shake every morning. Usually Chocolate and butterscotch flavors, or cake batter flavor, and this morning was pina colada. I feel that Shakeology is super expensive and I got sick of it really easily. I like that I can add certain things to my shakes at home and feel FULL and SATISFIED at the same time! Just go to the forums on here and search for protein recipes! BOOM....easy, done, filling, good protein, and a variety!!! Just make sure when you are buying protein powder that is isn't high in sugars and carbs!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I eat a fairly healthy breakfast and was just looking for another way to add some super foods to my diet. Are you familiar with any supplements/powders that I could add to smoothies or something for some added protein and nutrition?

Superfood is a marketing gimmick and shakeology would likely be the worst possible product if that was your goal since everything is in a prop blend and likely in miniscule dosages ie label filler
  • cc176306
    Options
    To be honest, I just love making homemade shakes with protein purchased from any grocery/Target/Walmart. There are SO many. I have been doing a protein shake every morning. Usually Chocolate and butterscotch flavors, or cake batter flavor, and this morning was pina colada. I feel that Shakeology is super expensive and I got sick of it really easily. I like that I can add certain things to my shakes at home and feel FULL and SATISFIED at the same time! Just go to the forums on here and search for protein recipes! BOOM....easy, done, filling, good protein, and a variety!!! Just make sure when you are buying protein powder that is isn't high in sugars and carbs!
    Thank you for the input. I have been searching recipes and reviews and it is hard to find honest reviews and opinions. I have checked out shakeology many times and the negative reviews and price always weigh heavily in my mind. Do you have a favorite protein recipe that you could share to get me started in the right direction? (Chocolate and cake batter both sound delicious) And what type of protein powder do you use?
  • bryannakay
    Options
    Thank you for the input. I have been searching recipes and reviews and it is hard to find honest reviews and opinions. I have checked out shakeology many times and the negative reviews and price always weigh heavily in my mind. Do you have a favorite protein recipe that you could share to get me started in the right direction? (Chocolate and cake batter both sound delicious) And what type of protein powder do you use?

YES!!! I buy the Body Fortress Protein Powder at Walmart....chocolate and vanilla usually. Here are a couple recipes to try out...

Chocolate Butterscotch
    2 scoops protein powder (chocolate)
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond or vanilla milk (you can just use water too but, I think the milk gives it more flavor)
    1 TBS sugar free butterscotch jello mix
    ice cubes
    blend or use a blender bottle

yummy! Tastes like chocolate/caramel goodness!! The other thing I have bought is the sugar free cheesecake flavored jello and that is awesome as well!!! A tablespoon of the sugar free jello mix is only 25 calories and adds a ton of flavor to any shake mix. There are MANY kinds of sugar free jello mixes.

Cake Batter (this is a bit more intense....but SOOOO good....I literally felt like I was eating cake batter from the bowl...)
    1/2 cup cottage cheese (weird I know but, it's true)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 TBS vanilla sugar free jello powder
    3-5 drops vanilla or coconut extract ( I use vanilla and it works....never tried coconut)
    1/2 cup water
    2 packets of stevia (any fake sugar...if you are one that doesn't like fake sugar, than don't add any)
    blend!!! and seriously enjoy!! SO GOOD!!
  • bryannakay
    Options
    OH!!! One more....if you like peanut butter and chocolate...here is another recipe!

2 scoops chocolate protein powder
    1 TBS creamy peanut butter
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 banana (or whole one...I don't like TOO much banana but I like some)

YUM!!
  • cc176306
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to get me these recipes. I am defiantly going to make my own protein shakes and pick up some of the body fortress mix. Sounds like you can get just as many nutrients and benefits at a fraction of the shakeology price. Good luck on your weight loss journey, and thank you for the recipes. ????
  • pdean1756
    pdean1756 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I notice the only I love Shakeology was of course a Beachbody Coach, they love anything they sell, if Carl Daikler pooped in a bag and called it the miracle protein of the century they would all call it "yummy" ..best ingedients on the market! LOL I drank the stuff felt sick to my stomach, tried it on my wife , she said it tasted like barf with the grit of sand. I was a Team Beachbdy "coach" ...never speak don about the products, in other words, don't tell people the truth. Sorry Team Beachbody, fool me once.....