biking etiquette

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    In the Netherlands every cyclist is obligated to have this on his bicycle: BLWS.jpg
    It makes a high noise, so most people will hear it. I don't know if they will understand what you mean by it.

My husband has a bell like this on his bike and it cost around $5 USD. Definitely worth it.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure where you live and if you're biking in a residential neighborhood but I bike in San Francisco and it's illegal for adults to ride in the sidewalk. http://www.sfbike.org/?sidewalks I think it depends on where you're biking.

You may want to google bike laws in your city or ask neighbors or other fellow cyclists you see about proper etiquette for where you live.

this... I was astonished when i learned it. I have never ridden as an adult so i had no idea. this is one reason i don't want to ride a bike. I don't want to get hit by a car.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I know where I live people in cars have no respect for bikes or pedestrians so I either stick to marked bike lanes and pray or residential areas and pray.

Also, if you ever ride in the country please be mindful of horses. I will ride over to a trail and almost got killed by someone on a bike that spooked my horse because he didn't think he needed to announce himself and came up behind us. Horses are considered a vehicle to in my state. Unfortunately mountain bikers think that horse trails are also for mountain bikes and those who rides street bikes on country roads do not respect horses and give them space.

I also ride my bike in the country, there's a nice 10 mile loop by the barn where I keep my horse.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I rode a motorcycle. You can go on the internet and find many news stories of motorcycle accidents. Some accidents are fatal. Some are worse when the motorcyclist loses an arm, a leg or the ability to walk. If you only read those motorcycling stories then you will not want to ride a motorcycle.
    I walk. If you only read the stories of the amount of pedestrians (adults and children) hit by cars, trucks and buses (especially in Queens, NY) you would not want to go for a walk.
    I know of a person a young athletic mother of 2 children who was hit by a car while she was out running. If you only read stories of people being hit by cars while running you won't want to run (or jog)
    I ride a bicycle. I was hit by a car in 1988 ( I was lucky, had a concussion that lasted 6-8 hours and have amnesia about the events of that day). I continue to ride a bicycle on the road today. If you only read stories about bicyclists getting hit by cars, you will not want to ride.
    So, to keep cycling the best things you could do is support multi-use paths, rails to trails and bicycle lanes. Support your town to clean the roads of debris and support efforts to make wide shoulders on the roads. Support efforts to curb texting while driving. Support efforts to get DWI and DUI drivers off the roads. Sidewalks are no place for adults to ride a bicycle.
    The sidewalks are not all that safe to ride a bicycle on, do not kid yourself into thinking otherwise.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Fancy one of these:
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/air_zound_3_bicycle_rechargeable_air_horn-ID_20723?gclid=CPyYx-uE97wCFagBwwodJi4Auw
    Or match some lithium batteries to the very loud motorcycle air horn I have (easily mistaken for a truck).
    Certainly would have been fun for parents letting their kids wander over the bike lane.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I do just want to add a few things...first off I am a runner as well so I am always mindful of runners. Although when I run, I am aware of my surroundings. Also I wasn't passing these two people at full speed...I slowed way down, but didn't want to actually stop and then try and walk past them with my bike.

Some of the roads I was biking next to are 4 and 6 lane roads that are very busy. I can't imagine trying to ride in the streets with that amount of traffic. I will look for another place to go.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Where I live there is a bike trail that runs parallel to a walking trail. One of the issues I have is dog walkers who allow there dog a long leash all the way across the path ... I've come across this more than once. Another issue I have come across is walkers/joggers/runners with ear buds in both ears. So perhaps I shall invest in a bell also.

Last fall when the weather was outstandingly nice I went for a ride along that trail. There were families with small children out on the trail and at one point just before a bridge I came across a family of four (father, mother, and two children) and they were taking up the entire path. I called out three separate times "on your left" and they did not move at all. When I did pass them, the father said to me, "shut your hole" All I could think was, "the walking trail is over there"

Keep on riding and stay safe.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Lisah,
    Glad you are riding. In my city, it is legal and recommended to ride on the sidewalks when the street is busy, there is no bike lane, and you are in a residential area. In commercial areas, it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk. That is pretty common I think.
    On the bike paths, where people know there are lots of riders, it is customary to give a "On you left" alert before passing another bicycle or a jogger. But, on the sidewalks it is different. A sidewalk is narrower. A sidewalk has walking -- sometimes plodding -- pedestrians.
    I slow way, way down on a sidewalk before passing someone. I give them an alert. And, I don't pass until I am sure they know I am behind them.
    People get startled, and they tend to jump right into the path you have told them you are taking. It is instinct to jump over if you think someone is coming up behind you fast.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    IF I'm riding in my neighborhood I usually will pass joggers on the left. I almost NEVER ride on the sidewalk. I used to call out but half the time they're clueless running with their headphones and can't hear me anyway so i just blow by them and give them as much space as I can.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada it's considered illegal to bike on a sidewalk, I know people do it but sidewalks are for pedestrians/runners/people on their own two feet, a bike is considered a vehicle and as such should be ridden on the road or subjected to hefty fines
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Hey, bikers riding against traffic, GTFO of my way.

Hey bikers riding side by side on a bike path, get a Fing mirror and GTFO of my way.

Hey, dude in $1000 worth of lame looking cycling clothes, try and pass me with a bit more than an inch of clearance, I didn't know you were entering me into an imaginary criterium. Oh, and GTFO of my way.

Hey, bikers with 200 lumen strobing bike lights, I have epilepsy and I hope I you hit a tree after I seizure and veer towards you. Strobes are not for bike paths, they are so traffic can see you.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When you enter a bicycle club or, you enter a bicycle tour, the common thing is to verbalize where you are. Therefore, most avid cyclists (those that ride 100 miles or more per week) know that yelling out "on your left" means you are telling the other person where you are.
    It is not a universal form of communication. There is no written law that tells a runner/jogger what "on your left means". There is nothing written that tells an 8 year old kid what "on your left" means. There is no article in People telling Moms or teens what "on your left means"
    A bell is a requirement in Europe and so are lights-24x7. That is not the law in the USA. A bell is normally required but a person with ear buds and blasting music in their heads ain't gonna hear anything anyway.
    As far as the law is concerned. A cop can always use his/her judgement when issuing a ticket/summons.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    We don't have to have lights 24/7 in the UK. Pretty sure the same in plenty of other European countries.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've been run off the sidewalk many times by people on bikes, and it pisses me off. Look up the laws in your area, but everywhere I have lived, it is illegal for bikes to be on the sidewalks, because those are for foot traffic. Exception usually being those in mobility scooters, but they usually don't go fast enough to be able to run anyone over or crash into them at high velocity.

Ride with the flow of traffic, there's no reason for you to be on the sidewalk.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hey, bikers riding against traffic, GTFO of my way.

Hey bikers riding side by side on a bike path, get a Fing mirror and GTFO of my way.

Hey, dude in $1000 worth of lame looking cycling clothes, try and pass me with a bit more than an inch of clearance, I didn't know you were entering me into an imaginary criterium. Oh, and GTFO of my way.

Hey, bikers with 200 lumen strobing bike lights, I have epilepsy and I hope I you hit a tree after I seizure and veer towards you. Strobes are not for bike paths, they are so traffic can see you.

Point to where the cyclist touched you...
  • geebusuk
    Options
    There are lots of reasons. Like not being killed or seriously injured by other vehicles. Or allowing other vehicles past and so on.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    There are lots of reasons. Like not being killed or seriously injured by other vehicles. Or allowing other vehicles past and so on.

That's a risk cyclists take. Shifting your risk to pedestrians on the sidewalk isn't cool. If you're scared of getting hit, drive your car to your destination. For me, I don't ride on "commercial" roads but rather stick to residential and bike paths for my safety. I realize that drivers are pricks to cyclists, and that doesn't entitle me to be a prick to people on sidewalks.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a bike after probably not riding one for about 25 years or more. I love riding it on the weekends and have different routes and places that I go. Yesterday I was riding on the sidewalk in my neighborhood. The roads don't have bike lanes so I ride on the sidewalk. The sidewalk has a curb to the street on one side and a hill on the other side. I was coming up behind a kid on a skateboard who had turned around a few seconds ago so he knew I was coming up behind him. I yelled "passing on your left" as I was coming up behind him ( he was closer to the right edge of the sidewalk) and I must have startled him and he turned to the left. I jumped off the bike and he jumped off the skateboard. No collision, we both apologized and went on. Then I started thinking about what is the proper way to pass someone on the sidewalk.

Of course, shortly after this, I come up behind a woman who is wearing those big spring shoe things (I don't know what the real name is for them) and bouncing down the center of the sidewalk. I also see that she is listening to music. I really don't want to startle this woman, so I start yelling a little farther away to give her plenty of time to move to the side, I yell "passing on your left" and she does nothing. I do it again with the same no response. By this time, I am really close and I just yell "hello" this time and I do startle her and she jumps to the left in front of me. I know "hello" was probably not the right thing to say, but I really needed to get her attention, Again, I got lucky and no collision, but I could tell she was pissed at me.

What I want to know is what is the proper etiquette for this. I know we both have the same right to use the sidewalk. I know I pay attention to my surroundings when biking and when I am running. Should I just have to slow down and walk my bike until the person notices that I am there and moves or until there is a good space to pass? Please help.

It all depends on where you live and what the laws are. In some states and locales - Yes, you can ride your bicycle on the sidewalk in most states. And yes it can be done safely.

You must check your state and local laws as it is up to local jurisdictions to set their own cycling laws. You can find the links to your applicable laws here...

http://www.bikeleague.org/

A brief summary....

How Many States Have These Laws?

Vehicle Laws

•8 states prohibit bicycles on sidewalks because bicycles are vehicles, and vehicles are prohibited on sidewalks.
    • In 10 states it is unclear whether bicycles are prohibited from sidewalks because they are not defined as vehicles, but a bicyclist has all of the rights and all of the duties applicable to the driver of any vehicle except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application, and vehicles are prohibited on sidewalks.
    •In 8 states no law was found regulating the use of sidewalks by either bicycles or vehicles.

Bicycle-specific Laws

•21 states require a bicyclist to yield to a pedestrian while riding on a sidewalk.
    •18 states require a bicyclist to give an audible signal before passing a pedestrian while riding on a sidewalk.
    •4 states limit the speed of at which a bicycle can be ridden on a sidewalk.

Pedestrian Laws

•13 states say that a bicyclist riding on a sidewalk has all the rights and duties of a pedestrian in the same circumstances.
    •In all but one of these states there is a variation of the requirement that pedestrians cannot suddenly leave a curb into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do the "passing on your left" bit when needed. I agree most folks nowadays are rocking headphones anyways so you just have to slow down and be careful Bike lanes should be used when possible. I ride a hybrid style bike so my speeds never exceed 20 and i try to stay in the comfort of my usual neighborhood/block routes. Riding is so much fun but can be stressful with traffic and lots of pedestrians.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you live. Where I live I can go on a 7 mile bike ride on the sidewalk and encounter 2 pedestrians and 1000 cars. I would rather ride on the sidewalk and have to go around the 2 pedestrians than try to navigate the road with 999 people on their cell phones texting. For my safety.

Riding on sidewalks is not recommended for the reasons you've found out. Paths are fine, and you should pass on the left as you tried to do. Otherwise, I suggest riding in the street for your safety and those around you.
    And if you do that, keep in mind that you are in the wrong and the pedestrians have the right of way.

I have been nearly mowed down on the sidewalk by people on bikes who don't think they need to move for the pedestrian as they ride right down the middle at full speed.

I have never had any complaints or even dirty looks. I just go around pedestrians after slowing down. Never came close to hitting one or even being within touching distance of one - I give a wide berth. However the one time I was in the road because I was giving room for a pedestrian the cars speeding by at 45-50 were closer to me than I was to the pedestrian.

That still doesn't mean that you were in the right.