Is there such a thing as a Low Cal Christmas Cookie?

StPattysGrl
StPattysGrl Posts: 74
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone have any recipes for a low calorie christmas cookie or treat? Does that even exist?? I have a cookie exchange coming up with my book club and I'm interested to see if there is such a thing as a lower calorie option for cookies or treats that I can bring to the exchange. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• I made a batch of whole grain gingersnaps from a recipe I found online. They were phenomenal! 50 cals per cookie. Instead of topping them with sprinkles, I pressed them into dried coconut... they looked really pretty.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/whole-grain-gingersnaps-4182
  • Look up sugar free meringue cookies. There are quite a few good recipes out there all in the 40 cal range per cookie.:bigsmile:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    I made a batch of whole grain gingersnaps from a recipe I found online. They were phenomenal! 50 cals per cookie. Instead of topping them with sprinkles, I pressed them into dried coconut... they looked really pretty.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/whole-grain-gingersnaps-4182

Those look REALLY good!
  • I found a recipe for Citrus-Kissed Honey Buttons at http://bit.ly/dKIqE5 with only 59 calories and 1g of fat per cookie that I'll be taking to an upcoming cookie swap. They also have a Cranberry-Honey Spice Pinwheel recipe (http://bit.ly/gJEzql) I'm making for a Christmas party, that looks festive and has a mere 54 calories 1g of fat per cookie.

I'll update how they all turn out!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Citrus-Kissed Honey Buttons
    3 dozen cookies
    Active Time: 20 minutes
    Total Time: 1 1/4 hours (including 30 minutes chilling time)
    Ingredients
    • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (see Tip)
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
    • 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
    • 1 teaspoon lemon extract

Preparation
    1. Whisk flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt in a small bowl.
    2. Beat sugar and butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, honey, lemon zest, orange zest and lemon extract, and beat until blended. Gradually add the flour mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or overnight.
    3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
    4. Roll the dough into 36 balls (about 2 level teaspoons each) with your hands. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
    5. Bake, one batch at a time, until puffed and beginning to crack, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Tips & Notes
    •Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dough for up to 1 day. Store cookies airtight for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. | Equipment: Parchment paper or nonstick baking mats

•Tip: To soften butter, let stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Or cut into small pieces and let stand for about 15 minutes. (Do not soften in a microwave—the uneven heat may melt the butter in spots.)
    Nutrition

Per cookie: 59 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 36 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
    1 Carbohydrate Serving
    Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other)
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Well, how crazy is that? Just minutes before my post someone else posted for the exact same cookie. Great minds I guess!! :laugh:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I bought the Nestle Toll House Break N Bake christmas chocolate chip cookies in the store. They are only 80 calories per cookie, and they're decently sized once they bake. I didn't feel guilty eating two of those. Oatmeal cookies are also pretty decent on calories if you make them from scratch (use the recipes on the Quaker Oats container, I think it's about 80 calories per cookie too).
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Great topic, I would like to know that myself....
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    The new Self mag has a sugar cookie recipe and some others that you can make with the dough. :)

3/4 c cake flour
    3/4 c white whole wheat flour
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp salt
    4 T unsalted butter
    1/2 c granulated sugar
    2 egg whites
    1tsp vanilla

Whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy: add egg whites and vanilla, and beat until just combined. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture till well combined. Form dough into a log and wrap tightly with wax paper and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

38 calories per cookie
    1 g fat
    1g saturated
    6g carb
    0g fiber
    1g protein

They have some other recipes to go with this recipe that sound so good. Sandwich cookies with Chocolate Ganache Filling, orange-coconut stars, minty mini doughnuts, Rasberry linzer torte bars and pumpkin pinwheels.

It's the dec. 2010 issue. :)
  • Check out www.eatbetteramerica.com. They have some cookie recipes that I will be making if I decide to make cookies this year. (the whoopie pies are high on my list ... with a dash of peppermint extract added!)
  • My family has a recipe that I used to LOVE to make and eat as a kid and still love!
    We call them "moon rocks" but they're really meringue cookies- we always made them with chocolate chips and/or pecans, but you can add or subtract those as you wish. I bet you could even add Andes chips or those red and white chocolate chips to make them more holiday festive. I was actually thinking about making a batch to help keep my sweet tooth satisfied while dieting.

2 egg whites, room temperature
    2/3 Cup sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup mini chocolate chips
    1 cup pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Cover cookie sheet with foil. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla. Continue to beat until glossy and stiff. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts with a spoon. Drop onto cookie sheet 1 teaspoon at a time. Plave in oven and TURN IT OFF! Leave for at least 2 hours or overnight.
    Makes 3 1/2 dozen.
  • Moon Rocks sound awesome. I will try making those!
  • Great! I was hesitant to make cookies this year but these recipes changed my mind.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    bump. thanks :smile:
  • Lippis
    Lippis Posts: 21
    Getting some ideas to bring to my work out group...Bump.
  • Boo_08
    Boo_08 Posts: 94 Member
    bump!
This discussion has been closed.