Positive or Negative Motivation.......

Options
ntw25
ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
So what works for you folks.

I am in a quandary. I have a great life, a great marriage to the woman that I have loved all of my life, I have 3 great kids that are all heading in a good direction, I have a job I enjoy and live in the place that I always dreamed that I would..........It is all fantastic apart from the fact that I am seriously overweight.

I have a genuine interest in peoples outlooks. I have been overweight all of my life, I have managed to get through it, maybe I am just lazy, but I am struggling with the motivation to really change. I know I should, but it is so easy not to.

So. Here is the question. Do I find my motivation from the positive, I love what I am doing, I love where I am, I just want it to continue.

Or

Do I take it from the negative, I am going to lose all of this to ill health and premature death.

Or, of course is it not that simple and each individual has to take their own path.

Any ideas ??

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Motivation is a complicated thing. I have found that motivation follows time and consistency. Start your journey with a "Why". Mine was my newly born son. I needed to set the correct example of how to be healthy for him. Motivation will follow after you start to see results.

Also, I have also found that having people around to encourage you, congratulate you, hold you accountable, and inspire you is the game-changer. I'm in a big support group on facebook that is just awesome for these things. I'd be happy to chat with you about it more if you like.

Allan
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    It's going to be different for everyone. Whatever gets the job done. You just can't look for anyone else to give motivation to you; it has to come from you.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Why can't it be a mixture of both?
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what motivates you. Personally, I find that the longer it takes to experience the benefit, the less motivational it is. Health is a great example. You might want to live a long, healthy life, but it is hard to give up today for some uncertain future. It is probably more helpful if you have a shorter term goal, such as getting off medicine for a weight related condition.

Like you, I have a great life. I have been very successful in my job, my family, my hobbies. Why not my weight control? This also helped motivate me; I should be able to control this part of my life as well.

I find that shorter term goals that are not directly weight related are my best motivation. I started exercising 3 years ago to feel better (i.e. stronger, more endurance, more energy). I have been challenging myself ever since to achieve new things - I started running, I started running longer, I started lifting weights, I am currently very focused on improving strength (I want to bench my body weight - currently at 62%). To achieve my goals, I have to eat properly (not just less, but nutritiously), exercise regularly and with intensity, get enough sleep. As a result of all this, I lose weight.

This may not work for others, but I like immediate gratification. I did the same when I quit smoking. I focused on how nice my hair smelled rather than the health benefits (smoky hair is nasty).

Good luck to you!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I find motivation by understanding what I need to do to lose weight, and why. Taking control of my weight is powerful.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I too have been struggling with the motivation. I have restarted many times and each time I begin I have to change my weight/inches to heavier/bigger. I have currently outgrown the majority of my pants; even one of my winter coats is too tight. The winter has been a long cold one this year and couple that with a desk job and I get so I can justify it. But honestly I can't. So I am beginning again today. The motivation I have currently is I am truly ticked off and disappointed in myself. I am going to do it for me and in the end it will benefit my family. Good luck to you!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The threat of being put on cholesterol medicine was my kick in the ***, but not my motivation. It made me take a look at what was going on and made me realize I needed to do something different. But my motivation is positive. I really want to be able to run with my children. My son runs 8 miles but maybe I can work up to running 1 or 2 with him this summer.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    So. Here is the question. Do I find my motivation from the positive, I love what I am doing, I love where I am, I just want it to continue.

Or

Do I take it from the negative, I am going to lose all of this to ill health and premature death.
    For me it's kind of one and the same. I've watched my father who was overweight as far back as I can remember first get diabetes, then heart disease and a heart attack, now cancer.He is no longer overweight because he literally can barely eat.

So I don't mind eating oatmeal and kale if it puts me a bit more in control of my life and I can enjoy some time being fit and feeling healthy.

Sorry if that came out depressing lol.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I am in a quandary. I have a great life, a great marriage to the woman that I have loved all of my life, I have 3 great kids that are all heading in a good direction, I have a job I enjoy and live in the place that I always dreamed that I would..........It is all fantastic apart from the fact that I am seriously overweight.

I have a genuine interest in peoples outlooks. I have been overweight all of my life, I have managed to get through it, maybe I am just lazy, but I am struggling with the motivation to really change. I know I should, but it is so easy not to.

Or

Or, of course is it not that simple and each individual has to take their own path.

Any ideas ??

Motivation comes from the realization that you're sick and tired of being overweight/out of shape, coupled with the a-ha moment when you realize that this statement is true: nothing changes, if nothing changes. "If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten."

You just decide you're not going to b.s. yourself and cheat yourself out of your full potential any longer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options

Or

Any ideas ??
    Fear of loss is usually going to be more prevalent even with positive people. Even the most positive people in the world will doubt themselves sometime or another.
    Motivation is different for everyone. Some HAVE to be number one all the time and compete fiercely, so that's their motivation. For some it's money, for some fame, for some acknowledgment from peers, and others just self satisfaction.
    How do you know what motivates you? Trial an error, but I will say that a truly motivated person doesn't let any obstacles or setbacks stop them from achieving the goal they shoot for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that responded. I know the answers, was looking for additional pointers and, as always, found them on here.

I enjoyed the linked post. Thank-you

Laurie, not depressing, realistic

LilyLee, we can do this..........
  • pattyht
    pattyht Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Motivation.. I wake up with it every Monday but by Friday it has gone! Seriously though, for me I think it is having a good support system. I had a very strong support system when I lost weight before and I tell you it seemed like it was a breeze, Four years ago my husband was murdered and the whole family fell apart and I no longer have that support system. I have been fluctuating between 20-30 lb weight gain the last few years. I get it down to 15-20 pounds left to go and then I find myself right back where I was. I am hoping to find and keep motivation from this site.