Gonna try this even with health conditions

Options
Good afternoon:
39 yr old mother of three. Recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. Apparently a couple of the meds that I am on are causing some weight gain. Yes, I know I can't stop taking them but I am going to try and do the healthy thing and eat right and exercise. Hopefully I will lose a few lbs and maybe start feeling better. I have some very rough days were it's hard for me to even get out of bed. I am hoping that watching what I eat and exercising will give me more energy and fix my body a bit.

Replies

• UnicornOreos
    Options
    FYI---I used to be a Zumba instructor teaching evening classes when I would get off work. Once I started having medical issues I had to stop. I was at my "perfect" weight for my short little legs :)
  • sabredancer
    Options
    Hi,

I had been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the knees and frozen shoulder when I realized I was overweight. My doctor suggested that I lose weight to help my knees. I asked him how I was supposed to lose weight when I couldn't really move much. He said you don't really need to exercise to lose weight, just watch your calories.

Within a week I had discovered MFP and have lost nearly 40 pounds since then. I ramped up the exercise very gradually (from three minutes a day to half an hour daily now nine months later). MFP has a been amazing for me, and counting calories works wonders.

Good luck in your journey!
  • UnicornOreos
    Options
    Thanks!!! I am gonna start slow. I actually went to a Zumba class tonight. I really could only do about 3/4ths of it.
  • paolafit89
    Options
    Hi !! I just had a baby 2 months ago ! Big boy !!!
    I'm trying to get back to my size 3 jeans right now I weight 146 and I want to lose 20 pounds in 2 months ????
  • UnicornOreos
    Options
    Congratulations on the baby boy!!!! You will be just fine!!!! I have about 40 lbs to lose myself. Gained it in six months....uggghhhh
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I have fibro too. It's hard to get moving because it always hurts, but once you're moving (well, maybe not the first few weeks, but after :happy: ) the pain decreases. Endorphins, the brain's natural "pain killers" are produced and your muscles strengthen to support the joints.

Go slow and increase your activity gradually. It does get easier! :drinker:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    My wife has done it with fibromyalgia, hypoglycemia issues, oh and cancer and chemo. It can be done. Buy a food scale, eat at a modest deficit with enough protein and dietary fat, and do both strength training and cardio. Good luck!
  • UnicornOreos
    Options
    Thanks you guys!!!! I really appreciate everyone's input!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited to get this weight off and be a healthier ME :)