Goal calorie intake: 1800... but I usually only get 1200

Options
My goal is to eat up to 1800cals a day or more. I feel like I am eating ALOT. And i get very full after my meals.

Is it okay to be only eating around 1200cals a day? I feel very full and satisfied after my meals usually... but should I be trying to eat more?

Replies

• condoleezachiapet
    Options
    Well, given that your goal is 1800, then yes, try to eat more.
  • jennaandthemoon
    Options
    But the problem is I FEEL SO FULL. I feel like i have to constantly eat. And that annoys me.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, we don't know your height or current weight, but if MFP tells you to eat 1800 based on the data you input, then you'd better find ways to do that. If you are filling up on "diet" foods, replace some of those with the real thing. Eat an ounce of nuts, have a piece of cheese, throw in a boiled egg or some hummus and pita as a snack. One of my favorite evening snacks if I need more is a whole grain sandwich thin toasted with orange marmalade.

Food is delicious. Plan better and try not to under eat. It will surely backfire.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat denser foods like - avocado, peanut butter, nuts, eggs, yogurt, etc
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Something is wrong when you are full from having a half a bell pepper for lunch.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    try to add calories by eating higher calorie foods

whole milk instead of skim
    cheese, yogurt, etc (not 0% or reduced fat)
    whole eggs instead of just egg whites

If you are having trouble upping the portions then up the calorie count per portion :flowerforyou:

1200 is the bare minimum and if you entered your info when you created your account MFP has your cals set at a deficit already
  • jennaandthemoon
    Options
    Something is wrong when you are full from having a half a bell pepper for lunch.

did you read my food diary.... that was a small snack lol. when I say "tea"... that means my snack
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat denser foods like - avocado, peanut butter, nuts, eggs, yogurt, etc

This. Full fat dairy, cheese, almonds, avocado, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate even.
    Or add some snacks between meals.
    Just because you feel full, does not mean your body has received adequate nutrition for optimal function.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    ^^
    On days when I'm eating straight plants and fruits, I find it hard to reach even 1200. Almond butter on bananas and avocados always help me reach 1200 and beyond. Try eating ginger (on foods or in tea) too; its natural heat helps promote appetite.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

This. Full fat dairy, cheese, almonds, avocado, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate even.
    Just because you feel full, does not mean your body has received adequate nutrition for optimal function.

carbs in the morning? When I have cereal or oatmeal I am usually hungry a couple hours later :ohwell:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The question that I would ask is this: what do you plan to do when you reach your goal and transition to maintenance? One of the important advantages to the MFP slow-and-steady method is that you learn a lot of healthy habits that will help you keep the weight off and stay healthy in the future. If you can't eat 1800 calories now, is your maintenance plan to just keep eating 1200 until your metabolism finally slows down enough that you stop losing weight?
  • jennaandthemoon
    Options
    The question that I would ask is this: what do you plan to do when you reach your goal and transition to maintenance? One of the important advantages to the MFP slow-and-steady method is that you learn a lot of healthy habits that will help you keep the weight off and stay healthy in the future. If you can't eat 1800 calories now, is your maintenance plan to just keep eating 1200 until your metabolism finally slows down enough that you stop losing weight?

Ah... but I am not trying to lose any weight. I know I dont have a pic of my body posted but I dont need to lose any weight really. I just want a more toned body. I am 5'9 and I weigh about 135lbs. I am TRYING to eat more but I get so full on the food I'm already eating.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

carbs in the morning? When I have cereal or oatmeal I am usually hungry a couple hours later :ohwell:

I fail to see where carbs in the morning is mentioned in these posts ? :/
  • SherryTeach
    Options

did you read my food diary.... that was a small snack lol. when I say "tea"... that means my snack

I'm sorry if I misunderstood.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you are a recovered anorexic but your diary has some worrying indications of relapse. I would suggest you seek professional and medical assistance rather than getting advice from MFP forums. Take care of your body. It needs nourishment to work properly <3

ETA: Just to let you know as well, that "feeling full" isn't always the best indicator of what you need. My suggestion is to have very tiny snacks, like five almonds every ten minutes between all meals. It's not going to make you stuffed but it will help you increase calories throughout the day.

ETA: Okay, I've just read through your full diary and I want to reiterate my suggestion that you visit a doctor and a psychologist. Especially if "tea" is just a "snack" then you are missing out dinner altogether. No wonder you aren't meeting calorie requirements with a whole meal not eaten. Good luck.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Based on your food diary and your supper meals I think you have a body image problem and are looking for some kind of acceptance or justification eat low calories...........<i would suggest you talk with an older adult that has some experience in this area before it gets out of hand.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble getting those calories in, I would suggest high calorie breakfast and snacks. A bowl of oatmeal with some peanut butter, or maybe with apples and walnuts and whey protein powder would be an awesome start and good way to cram in calories. Snacking on dates and walnuts is a favorite of mine, they're so good together and have a ton of calories. It would make a good post workout snack. Get in your healthy fats, olive oil, coconut, avocado, (again) walnuts. Also, whole eggs, cottage cheese with fruit are yummy. My diary is open (and I know we're friends) and you can take a look for some ideas. If I could eat a billion calories a day, I would, lol.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You could try prelogging your days, planning out your meals so you can see what you need to work in. Add in a higher calorie dressing to your salad and a bit of chicken, some sesame seeds, bacon bits.

If you see you are going to be too far under, up the calorie content of your snack. Instead of a half a bell pepper, go with peanut butter and celery, or peanut butter and crackers, or peanut butter and apples... You get the idea ;)

Add a glass of full fat milk or apple/orange juice. They are easy calories to take in and do have other nutrition benefits beyond what the empty calories of soda would provide.
  • Fizzgig168
    Fizzgig168 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If your goal is not to lose weight, but to tone your body, then you definitely need to be eating more good-fat and protein foods. I assume you are working out, because there's really no way to tone up without exercise. Best thing you can do is find some sort of nuts that you enjoy, and eat a handful or two of those shortly before or shortly after your workout. Say hello to peanut butter again, it can be your friend here. A peanut butter and banana sandwich is highly delicious, highly nutritious, and calorically dense. As some other people have mentioned, avocados are a great food to add to your diet as well. Avoid empty calories if your problem is feeling full - rice isn't particularly nutritious, and does tend to fill you up (although only briefly). The very most important thing is to make sure you're getting enough nutrients in what you eat. If you come in at 1500 or whatever sometimes, but it was all good fats and protein and vitamin-rich foods, you should be okay. Try and hit 1800 as much as you can though, because if you're working out a lot to tone up but not giving your body what it needs in order to maintain itself, it won't work.
  • kellydspaulding7
    Options
    I agree - if you get full quickly then you need to schedule in more snacks or meal times. On the days that I work out, I was having trouble replacing those calories because I'm used to eating the lower amount each day. My solution was to eat a light dinner before I went to work out and then have another "dinner" after working out. I also try and add in more calories during the day on my work out days too. I found that my work out goes much better if I am energized rather than hungry. Try adding a cheese stick, whole grain bagel with peanut butter, banana, in between your regular meals. Nutritious, protein rich foods are your friend and you won't get your fitness results without it. Also - cut back if you are drinking too much water and filling up on that.