Getting REALLY tired of this...

Options
I'm getting very tired of weighing, logging, measuring everything I eat! I'm so hungry all the time! To top it all off, I can't eat wheat, rice, potatoes, corn, oats! Nothing that I can feel full on! I need some advise/help for filling foods that I can eat! I really just want to give up but yet I don't...

Replies

• tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    can't advise anything hun just telling your i'm here for you! hugs! And drink water i know we hate it but we have to drink it
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    protein, protein, protein
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal? You really shouldn't feel hungry all the time. And if you're exercising you should be eating at least some of your exercise calories, so you should be getting plenty to eat. What is the reason you can't eat wheat, rice, potatoes, etc.?
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I agree - more protein. Hard boiled eggs, tuna (in water), meat. These will keep you satisfied longer. You can do this!!!!
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, lean protein...I feel hungry I grab a handful of Raw Almonds and a glass of water and the hunger goes away pretty quickly...Good luck
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    absolutely protien. I drink a shake for lunch and have mixed nuts for a snack. good to go.
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    Can you eat beans, or dairy? Both are healthy and will help you feel full when you introduce them into your diet. Search South Beach Diet. There are a few forums dedicated to it online. There is a Phase 1, to get rid of cravings, a Phase 2, for ongoing weight loss, and Phase 3, for maintenance. It's a very healthy way of eating that was developed by a heart doctor to help his patients get healthy. It's based on eating low-glycemic, low fat and healthy foods.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat those things? If you watch your portions and exercise, you shouldn't have to cut out any foods.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I can't eat wheat, rice, potatoes, corn, oats!

Sweet potato is awesome!! Have you tried Spelt or any other grained bread?? You can eat a full range of vegetables and fruits and meats... What about Cous cous? Lentils? Beans? Have a look in the healthfood isle for things like: Puffed Millet, Puffed Kamut,
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    just curious, it is weight watchers that won't let you eat the grain or are you intolerant of gluten?
  • ladysvs
    Options
    I can't eat the items because I'm intolerant to them. The dr thinks I may have Celiac. I just can't eat enough & when I eat too much protein to compensate, well um, it's not the greatest for everything leaving my body smoothly, sorry tmi.
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat those things? If you watch your portions and exercise, you shouldn't have to cut out any foods.

what she said :-) that said, it gets easier

edit... oh just read about what the doc said :frown:
  • merryxmas15
    merryxmas15 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents. First off I agree that you need to make sure you are getting enough calories. Too few and your body will feel starved and hold on to everything. I do have days where I just feel hungry all day. Usually a nice glass of water and an apple take care of it but sometimes it doesn't. I had a day last week when I was just HUNGRY. I asked myself all the usual questions like was I just bored and wanting to eat, was I stressed and wanting to eat-that kind of thing. And the answer was just no. I was just hungry, I mean tummy growling and all! So I ate. I ate (mostly) good for me foods but I did have a candy bar. And I did go over my calories for the first time in a long time. But I was ok with it because I knew that my body was needing the extra food for whatever reason. You must listen to your body.

My second point is I don't know if you're following a specific diet plan but if you are maybe you should re-evaluate. Not every diet is right for every person and maybe you need to try something different especially if you are hungry all the time and have cut out whole food groups. I have a lot of weight to lose so maybe I'm not the greatest person to give advice but.....well....I've never let that stop me before!!:happy: I've learned that, for me, there is no "giving up" foods. If I try it then I just start craving that food and can't get it out of my head and drive myself crazy until I say screw it and eat it until I can't eat anymore! Not a pretty site. I have learned to not deny myself any food, including sweets. My thing is moderation. I told myself I can eat whatever I want as long as I'm not going crazy with it. I'll have one serving or sometimes just one or two bites is really all I want. This has kept me happy and kept me going because I have given up on many diets because I just can't resist whatever food it is that I'm not allowed to have. With having things in moderation I'm learning how to eat properly and its something I can do for the rest of my life not just until the I lose the weight.

Now you didn't say in your post if you can't have those foods because of the diet you're on or because of a medical condition. If it is medically necessary for you to cut these foods out (like an allergy or something) then of course you should follow your doctors advice. But if its the diet you're following please reconsider and maybe that will help you.

Sorry this turned out so long and I hope it was of some help.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I'm getting very tired of weighing, logging, measuring everything I eat! I'm so hungry all the time! To top it all off, I can't eat wheat, rice, potatoes, corn, oats! Nothing that I can feel full on! I need some advise/help for filling foods that I can eat! I really just want to give up but yet I don't...
    Hey - I'm a celiac and rice and potatoes have NO gluten in them whatsoever. Wheat, barley and rye does. You can get a ton of gluten free foods out there, just look in the organic section of the super market. You can easily find gluten free oats as well.

If you can't eat rice and potatoes for another reason, you can stock up on lean animal meats, nuts, legumes, and cottage cheese. That will help keep you full!

Also, gluten free foods are notorious for being low in fibre, so most people with CD add in a supplement.

I would suggest talking to your doctor some more, and a nutritionist as well. You really need to be educated to eat well with this disease, and your post is really concerning.
  • ladysvs
    Options
    My body can't handle them now that I cut out all gluten. I'm in severe pain and major bloating when eat them. I go back to my dr tomorrow & am going to ask if he can get me an appt with a dietian.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    My body can't handle them now that I cut out all gluten. I'm in severe pain and major bloating when eat them. I go back to my dr tomorrow & am going to ask if he can get me an appt with a dietian.
    That is very common for people who take gluten out of their system. If your doc is well informed they should be able to help you with this, if not then you need to reach out to your local chapter of the Celiac Association for some help.

When you first take gluten out of your body you go through serious withdrawal. Your GI tract will worsen while the villi in your intestine start to recover. After a few weeks, things settle down and you can start to eat better.

Think of it like this: once the villi are recovering, for the the first time IN YOUR LIFE your body is experiencing the full effects of the foods you put into it. A common mistake is people suddenly thinking they can't have dairy because it upsets their stomach, but it's just their stomach getting the full effects of cow's milk for the first time. Recovery takes time and it IS NOT a pretty process.

You have to give it time to work, and educate yourself on what to expect and how to handle the process. I'm here if you need me, and your local Celiac chapter is a wonderful resource to have.

But be careful - a lot of doctors aren't overly familiar with it. And if you remove gluten from your diet prior to being diagnosed, then the biopsy won't show the villi damage, and you may be misdiagnosed as NOT having it. Your doctor should, at the very least, know that. Hopefully the Dietitian can help you out.

Ask me questions anytime!
  • tampabobby
    Options

take it easy, make moderate changes you can stick with. don't rush it. i have found that the weight comes off when it wants to and if i push too hard i will just get frustrated and over indulge. also i agree with others there is no reason you should be hungry all the time. if you are hungry you should eat. lean proteins and lots of fruits and vegetables is typically the way to go. in my experience whole grain breads and pastas are ok in moderation but as a side to everything else (so if you can't eat them hopefully you can fill up on fruits, veggies, and protein).

also if you are recently changing from an unhealthy diet to a healthy diet you could eat a little extra while you adjust because it is a different feeling to get full on fruits and vegetables than it is hamburgers and pizza. i notice that after a few days i start feeling great and it gets a little easier.... good luck!!!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have a colleague at work that is allergic to gluten and he's been able to find a lot of great recipes that are gluten-free so that it doesn't feel like he's doing without. I'm sure there are also people on here. Check out the recipe section by doing a search for gluten and I'll bet you'll find good suggestions.

I totally sympathize. I think cutting out any food, especially ones that you love is really tough. Once you find a suitable replacement and start feeling better, though, I'm betting you'll be happier to see them go.:-)

Keep working at it! We're all here to support you!

Shannon
  • BillyLightening
    Options
    Oh honey I wish I had some ideas and good advice for you, but the truth is I really don't, and I'd be remiss if I were to try and give you some feedback on this. My best suggestion is to see a nutritionist, someone who specializes in this sort of thing and can give you proper advice. Please don't give up. Love Love Love <3
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Fiber tends to keep you fuller longer. Good examples are fruit , veggies and nuts.

Try to take your focus off weighing, logging etc and find an activity u enjoy......get a good playlist together and go walking to take your mind off eating; it's fun, easy and burns calories no matter what pace u walk ;o)

Skipping is good and jump ropes are cheap.

If u like running, a useful app i use is couch to 5k. If you have kids/ a dog go to the park and run around for even half an hour...it makes a difference. The important thing is to be active without feeling like it's hard work. The extra calories u burn will earn u some more food calories, just keep it healthy.

If the weather is not conducive right now to a walk/run, find something u can do indoors. Hope this helps and best of luck to u.