Losing inches but...

Options
Logluc
Logluc Posts: 20 Member
I'm not seeing the scale move. I'm a bit of an instant gratification kind of person and once I start something I like to see results! I started to exercise and watch what I eat for the last 9 weeks. Had great results initially on the scale with a loss of 13lbs but now the scale won't move. I am eating a deficit netting about 1000 calories after I exercise. I am losing some inches overall but the scale isn't budging. I am happy about the lost inches but from everything I've read you can't gain muscle eating a deficit so why no weight loss? Give it to me straight people!

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You like instant gratification and you have been losing inches, not sure what the problem is?
  • Logluc
    Options
    I know right ?!?!? I suck. I'm just so married to the scale is all. I just don't understand how the 2 don't go together?!?
  • Logluc
    Options
    Love your back btw. Beautiful!
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It boggles my mind as well that you can lose inches but the scales don’t move. I think many factors contribute such as muscles retaining water, having heavy meals the night before you weigh in, hormones... I often fantasise about throwing the scales out.. but I never do.

Congrats on the loss though!! Just keep doing what you are doing, its obviously working :)
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You ARE seeing results. The results are in the inches lost.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words :flowerforyou:

Do you exercise? When we exercise water moves into the muscle for repair, it is normal to gain water weight this way.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Inches off = smaller clothes = instant gratification, no? Where the scale can go down without your size going with it, which sucks.

Inches lost trumps pounds lost on the scale any day in my book. Congrats!

For what it's worth, I lost a full size without losing a pound on the scale! :drinker:
  • Deona01
    Deona01 Posts: 8
    Options
    In the past I would weigh myself every day while dieting and never saw the scales move until I dropped 2 sizes. I guess my weight just shifted to where it thought my body needed it, lol. I do not even own a set of scales now because I would be on them ever day. I have only been back on the MFP plan for one week today and proud to say I was able to easily slip on 3 pr of jeans I could not wear a week ago. I will find out how much I weigh when I return to Dr (have to go every 3 months). Hoping I make him proud. Try and not be so hard on yourself. You are losing inches, and to me that's what matters :smile: Keep up the good work!!
  • daniel052205
    Options
    If your working out more than likely your gaining lean muscle mass, that could be why the scale is not moving because muscle weight weighs more than fat weight. It's great that your losing inches though.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You like instant gratification and you have been losing inches, not sure what the problem is?

I love your back too:)
  • Logluc
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am working out quite a bit. I'm currently training for a 6k this weekend so I run 4miles 3 x week and then3 x a week I do billy blanks boot camp DVD with resistance bands or Jillian michaels with some weights. I'm eating really clean although I'm wondering if I eat enough. I tried to tell myself that it was muscle gain as we'll but I didn't think that you could gain lean mass on a calorie deficit. But you are all right. I should just be happy with lost inches. I'm sure the scale will follow. Eventually :)
    Options
    Inches off = smaller clothes = instant gratification, no? Where the scale can go down without your size going with it, which sucks.

Inches lost trumps pounds lost on the scale any day in my book. Congrats!

For what it's worth, I lost a full size without losing a pound on the scale! :drinker:

I'm working I losing inches and not paying attention to the scale. Amy inspires me:)
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am working out quite a bit. I'm currently training for a 6k this weekend so I run 4miles 3 x week and then3 x a week I do billy blanks boot camp DVD with resistance bands or Jillian michaels with some weights. I'm eating really clean although I'm wondering if I eat enough. I tried to tell myself that it was muscle gain as we'll but I didn't think that you could gain lean mass on a calorie deficit. But you are all right. I should just be happy with lost inches. I'm sure the scale will follow. Eventually :)

It is possible, at first, to gain some muscle without a surplus of calories if you are new to lifting.