PCOS ladies - have you tried Chaste Tree Berry?

Options
My fiance just started taking chaste tree berry supplements to balance her hormones which are all skrewy from PCOS. Apparently it is marketed for PMS and monks used to take it to feel less horny. Anyhow, she got her first period in six months withing a few days of starting it, and another period two weeks later, and the couple of hairs she had to keep plucking on her chin went away. So obviously this is powerful stuff.

Anybody have any positive or negative experiences with this? I'm ever so slightly worried about her health, and a little aprehensive about the possability of a welcome, but unplanned, pregnancy, since her condition has previously been pretty effective birth control. Oh, and also I hope it doesn't do to her what it did for the monks.

Replies

• mary_kate23
    Options
    I don't have much to offer about chaste tree berry supplements, but has birth control not managed her PCOS? those results from it are pretty impressive though! I know PCOS can be a real ***** to deal with. I'm interested in what other people will have to say, considering my body seems to be out of whack hormonally on the regular (and dealing with similar symptoms that your fiance is dealing with). my poor boyfriend.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Birth control causes more problems than it solves for her, so she hasn't been on it for a couple years.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Just started up birth control again a few days ago since my periods are still irregular after losing weight along with a few other side effects (my side effects are similar to your fiancee's along with moderate acne). Good to know that this is working for your finacee. Birth control or using progesterone only pills to induce my period are the only things that have worked for me so far. Haven't had a natural period in over a year and the few I did have for the past year have all been induced by progesterone pills, which is why my OB/GYN just put me on birth control. So far the birth control is working okay, but good to know about Chaste Tree Berry. I have never tried this one and am not a big fan of birth control pills in general.
  • sholtz79
    sholtz79 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. I've never even heard of it. Interested to see if anyone else has any comments about it
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The only caution I have heard with Chaste Berry is that if you have significant depression you should use it with extreme caution as it might worsen those symptoms (something to do with progesterone).
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it or tried it. There are so many different symploms of PCOS and it is really hard to diagnose. I was put on the pill to help and it made things way worse. I also had 2 unknown pregnancys while on it. My dr finally gave me the Mirena and I have less probems. Fewer cyts, no period at all (I was having one every other week) and alot of my other problems went away. I did unfortunatly gain even more weight with Mierna and I now have bladder stones but the good out weighs the bad. Most girls I know have had it have decreased or out of wack hormones. Mine are highly increased....
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The only caution I have heard with Chaste Berry is that if you have significant depression you should use it with extreme caution as it might worsen those symptoms (something to do with progesterone).

Agreed. Plus, any supplements are not regulated and one jar can be different from the next. Proceed with caution.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    The only complaint I've heard about Chaste Tree is that it can possibly upset some peoples tummies (because it's super bitter and all bitter things get our systems moving) and on very rare occasions it can sometimes cause their flow to be heavier. Other then that (and of course the always possibility of an allergy) I think it's just fine. Do you know what brand she's using? That's something else I would research. Certain brands may not be as "pure" as you'd think.

I really hope it helps. I know that it can take a while before you see the results take full effect, sometimes months. Good luck!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The only complaint I've heard about Chaste Tree is that it can possibly upset some peoples tummies (because it's super bitter and all bitter things get our systems moving) and on very rare occasions it can sometimes cause their flow to be heavier. Other then that (and of course the always possibility of an allergy) I think it's just fine. Do you know what brand she's using? That's something else I would research. Certain brands may not be as "pure" as you'd think.

I really hope it helps. I know that it can take a while before you see the results take full effect, sometimes months. Good luck!

Yes - brand is important. There are some that are very respected and reliable. Also, chaste berry is often used to treat various menstrual issues - menopause, cramps, and pms. I have known many women who have had great results for those things, just keep in mind the depression issue.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Chaste Berry is great for balancing out hormones for both men and women. It's commonly used to treat amnorrhea (absent periods) in women these days. Sometimes it can take a while to work, just like any herbal supplement can. Before fixing my diet and exercising regularly, I tried Chaste Berry for a while. It really worked in restoring a normal period, but I noticed that I had alot of early period symptoms (heightened anxiety, feeling a little crummy).

You definitely shouldn't take Chaste Berry for long periods of time. Our bodies can adjust and get used to any herbal supplement, and it can virtually stop working and giving results. It's best to take herbs 2 weeks on, 1/2 weeks off, or to take it as needed.

I found that I did not need to take Chaste Berry after losing weight, because my hormones normalized after losing weight.

There is very little to worry about when taking herbal supplements. They're very safe, ALOT safer than ANY conventional medication. Unless you happen to be allergic, the worst side effects I have heard of from taking any kind of herbal supplement is itchy skin, tummy aches, headaches, drowsiness and other minor things like that.
  • neha_dhingra12
    Options
    I have PCOS from last 9 years and my periods are totally absent unless if I take the medicine for periods.
    I came to know about chaste tree but could you please help me that from where I should buy it as In india i am not able to find the store for the same. Please respond.
  • ziggiezambi
    ziggiezambi Posts: 253
    Options
    The site above also has reviews! :)