-63 lbs but needing some motivation.... (pics included)

Options
MaryB73189
MaryB73189 Posts: 11 Member
Looking back I had never been obese. A little overweight, but I had never learned to be comfortable with those curves. When I met my husband, just 2 months after HS graduation (2007), I weighed around 175lbs at 5'8". What I wouldn't give to be back there again! As many kids do, I moved away from home. Not for school, but to follow this man I'd only known about 6 months. We're now happily married, it's not that kind of story. But moving away it's where my weight gain began. I know it was all the bad food choices. The fact that I had no job or friends at first to occupy my time didn't help either. I can't remember the specific number, but I know when we were engaged Dec '09, I was well over 200lbs. At our wedding the following Sept, I was roughly 250lbs. Then I got pregnant right away, Dec 2010. I weighed 263 at my first prenatal visit. The weight gain never really phased me, until I was 38 weeks, and that scale said 303. I was mortified. I didn't see a 300lb person in the mirror! After baby girl made her debut, I only came down to about 291. From her birth Sept 2011 until October 2012, as much as I wanted to, I never really tried with weight loss. I did manage to lose a little and was down to about 280 when I decided to make the commitment. October through March was hard but I eventually got into a routine of using mfp and going to jazzercise classes 4-5x/wk! I was on a roll... til the warmer weather came back. Being cooped up all winter had me itching to be outside, so I stopped taking classes but never found an alternative. I am happy to report that I made it down to 256 in those months, and managed to maintain that weight for about 10 months. The new year (2014) came along and I couldn't believe I had wasted so much time. I can't seem to find that drive and motivation I once had. My Dr wanted badly to help and convinced me to try an appetite suppressant for one month. A "kick-starter" as she called it. The pill has done it's job since I started it one month ago. According to my scale at home, I'm 240. But I still can't find my drive.. can any of you help? Has anyone had the same problem? I can't be the only one.

Also, who has had short term experience with the drug, phentramine? I'm usually completely against any kind of "aids" but since this was only for one month and not the long haul, I decided to give it a try. Can't say I enjoyed the side affects. Dizziness was a big one. And after a week or two,I began to feel very out of it. Just disconnected I guess. It's hard to explain.

Here I am at 38 weeks, 303, Sept 2, 2011
IMG_123437534240740_zpsd445366a.jpg

And this one is from my daughter's baptism. Approx 285-290, Feb 19, 2012
6657f16f-1346-49fd-843d-914937370091_zps6f4786d4.jpg

And here was this past week at 240lbs
IMG_123359728454607_zpsbe6ff7ef.jpg

Thanks for reading, and in advance for your response!

Replies

• skcr1923
    skcr1923 Posts: 9
    Options
    You are a beautiful women, and thus very inspirational. Sometimes we become so distracted as to how we look having curves however, that's the least of our worries what matters is your family and health. keep up the hard work!!!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Great progress such a difference already. Much motivation for me to see this. Im a little over 300 and would love to b back at 240 again. When i didnt need bp pills or metformin to keep blood sugars from reaching diabetes range im right under pre.
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Eat all of your meals in front of that full length mirror naked and if you cannot see motivation no one can give it to you. You have to find it in yourself.
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue right now..I cannot seem to find the same motivation that I had last year but I am hoping that if I just remember that I am the only one that can do this for me and that I have to put in the work to get where I want to be I can renergize myself and get back into the routine of doing what I should. I think we just have to get up every morning and remind ourselves that we can do this and while it is a lot of hard work it will be so worth it. Do you have a picture of yourself from when you were smaller? Sometimes looking at that will remnd us of what we are working for. Good Luck and just remember you can do this and you are worth the effort :smile:
  • 33Parker33
    Options
    You are officially my new inspiration! I have lost 25 lbs thus far and was feeling like I am hitting a wall, but after reading your post, I am inspired to get own the couch and into the gym this morning. You seem like a wonderful, beautiful person, and I greatly appreciate your sharing your story. There's a storm inside of us, a burning river, a drive. You push yourself further than anyone could think possible. You are never out of the fight. You are my light.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Change up your classes, if you can. Trying new things (and forcing yourself to stick it out a few weeks) can kick start your motivation. I'm fortunate enough to be too stubborn to stop when I think something is dumb, and thanks to that, I've been enjoying Zumba the last 2-3 months. Next up is some pilates and CardioJam. I think this winter has sucked the life out of everyone, so you have to power through!

You're looking good, though, perhaps keeping those pictures on the mirror, next to your gym bag, will help, too!
  • luvcookies2014
    luvcookies2014 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with motivation too. I lose weight so slowly! (sucks being a 40 something woman sometimes) I have been trying to lose weight since January of 2013.

I started Jazzercise in April of last year and it has been a life saver for me!

I finally found an exercise I love to do. The center I go to is awesome, and that has made such a difference. Everyone is so supportive. I've made 45 classes already this year.

Even though I'm not losing quickly, I'm looking at it as a constant in my life, and not just temporary. I feel better than I have in ages. My blood pressure is down, my good cholesterol is up.

I've lost 7" off my waist alone since starting Jazzercise!

I try my hardest to not worry anymore about how long it takes. I've really struggled with this, especially seeing how fast some people lose on here. I really had an epiphany recently though. I'm not in a competition with people on here, only with myself. Even if it takes 3 years to lose the weight, I know at some point I'll get there. I'm no longer gaining weight, and can tell a huge difference in my endurance. If all I can lose is .5 lb a week, then so be it.

I think you have to look at each day as a new start. I still have bad days, I still have days when I get frustrated it is taking so long. BUT I have really learned to brush that off and keep a good outlook.

I think for me, I finally realized this is not a "diet" for me. I can't stop this at some point. I will always have to exercise and always have to watch what I eat to a point (I do have non count days though).
  • Patty1015A
    Patty1015A Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well Said! I needed to hear that!
  • MaryB73189
    Options
    Change up your classes, if you can. Trying new things (and forcing yourself to stick it out a few weeks) can kick start your motivation. I'm fortunate enough to be too stubborn to stop when I think something is dumb, and thanks to that, I've been enjoying Zumba the last 2-3 months. Next up is some pilates and CardioJam. I think this winter has sucked the life out of everyone, so you have to power through!

You're looking good, though, perhaps keeping those pictures on the mirror, next to your gym bag, will help, too!

Thank you so much for the response.
    This one is the one I look back on the most, and I hope to become this confident, happy person again!
    Here I am, my before the before picture.
    18y/o (Oct 2007), 175lbs, 5'8" size 13/14, L/XL

0339f26a-8a8b-46e3-883b-58daf5840515_zps4e82a499.jpg
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great work so far. You have achieved so much! You should be proud of yourself, its not easly loosing weight and to drop so much is truely amazing. Keep it up, you have come this far, there is no stopping now.
  • MaryB73189
    Options
    You are officially my new inspiration! I have lost 25 lbs thus far and was feeling like I am hitting a wall, but after reading your post, I am inspired to get own the couch and into the gym this morning. You seem like a wonderful, beautiful person, and I greatly appreciate your sharing your story. There's a storm inside of us, a burning river, a drive. You push yourself further than anyone could think possible. You are never out of the fight. You are my light.

This is the possibly the kindest response anyone could ever give. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
  • thesoup11
    thesoup11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You will get there you look so great I'm at 300 now and I hate it just keep up your dedication I know it ain't easy but look how far you already came
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    as we head into spring I wonder if a "Learn to run" program would help. The couch to 5 k app or most local running shops and some gyms offer them. You'd be outside-maybe with people-and that might help your motivation.

Great job on the weight you have lost. You can do this!
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    hey there! I am a tall girl also! I think the best motivation is a daily journal..when you think it writ it down and tomorrow go check it. I am strugggling just as everyone else. We dotn fail until we stop getting up! wake up give it your best shot and keep moving forward. This is life, no one has a perfect one! yours is a direct reflection of you, so make it the way you want it!
  • MaryB73189
    Options
    I wish we had a "like" button in these message boards, so that I could like all your responses. Complete strangers, showing faith in me, really restores my own faith in myself and in humanity! You're all so wonderful!
  • fitandworking
    fitandworking Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I'm 5'7',my highest was 294, lowest was 183 and I'm almost 25 so some similarities:) I haven't had kids but I lost 50 pounds over 2 years almost a year ago but then I stalled there for a while. This is before I started MFP. I just was tired of the crazy weight fluctuations I had since high school. I can't speak for you, but I know as someone who has fluctuated so much and when I lost 50 pounds, it didn't seem to mean as much to me as it probably should have. I lost 50 pounds which was great but I still was so much bigger than my thinnest and in the back of my head I didn't believe I would ever be thin, just various stages of overweight. That attitude really messed with my motivation. What helped me honestly was I tried to be more positive about my capabilities. I realized how important that 50 pounds that I had lost was and I taught myself to be thankful while I wasn't loosing weight for a while, I wasn't gaining anything back. It may sound easier said than done but when I told myself I had control of the situation, I began to control the situation. Now while I'm still not skinny at 208, I feel way better and I have learned to be proud of what I'm capable of. I hope you can be too. You are doing it right and the results are showing. You got this!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    you can definitely keep going. Sometimes you need to remember why you want to do it. And why do you want to do it now? There are a few things I've learned along the way. The saying "In six months you will be glad you started today" is so true. Think about it. But deeper - why do you want to lose weight? It doesn't make you a better person - you are a beautiful person no matter the size. Your heart doesnt' change at 150 pounds or 450 pounds (OK physically yes your heart works harder at 450 :))

Want to lose weight because you will feel better about yourself? To keep up with your kids? To Be a positive role model? Do you just want to be active because that gets your endorphins going? Remember WHY you started and what it is you really want and keep that in front of your mind.

Thinking about 100 pounds can be daunting. Thinking about 10 is easier. You can break it up into small chunks, even 5 pounds. Give yourself rewards....whatever it is for you - shoes, a pedicure, two hours of alone time.... whatever. One of my rewards for hitting one of my milestones is for my husband to take me on a superdate - like get dressed up, fancy dinner, nice cocktails, etc. It is a HUGE motivator (I will also be buying a new dress lol)

You CAN do this. just remember WHY you want it!
  • angelycar
    angelycar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story,when i hear people have lost 50lbs i wonder 'will that ever be me'?
    Been on mfp 3 months now and am logging everyday,trying to keep the calories under 1200,working out at least twice a week but I still stand on the scale every morning and nothing has changed.Haven't lost, haven't gained. Some days am more depressed than others but hearing that am not alone makes me believe one day i too will be a success story and inspire someone...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    You have made such progress, even managing to maintain is brilliant. Summer is on its way, the sun is higher in the sky and you can take off again, get out and about and to the class you used to go to and may be try something different and it will happen for you. Remember to eat some of you exercise calories back. Try not to be under your target by too far.

If you do feel as if your get up and go has got up and went, get it looked into, it matters. The sooner it is sorted the better.
  • frankysgurl
    frankysgurl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think you look fanastic! Great job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!