ABS exercises with neck problems

Options
Hello to everyone (and sorry if my english isn't perfect)!
I am writing you because I need an advice about how make exercices for abdominal (in the lower area and also in the high area)

After a car accident, I have a little problem with cervical (neck): the physiotherapist told me that if I do workout isn't a problem, the only thing is that I can have pain if I force the neck area.
This happens expecially when I do abs, because I don't have yet the perfect control of my muscles and I force a bit the muscles of back and of neck. (I just started to have workout regularly)

For the high abdominal I have resolved the problem using the rubber mat with the handlebars, to do the guided ABS (sorry, I don't know its name in english!).

For the lower area, I don't know how to do.
I tried to do the exercise where, remained lying with belly up, I push my legs up and then back down slowly, but I don't have the perfect control yet and after 2-3 series of this exercise my neck hurts a lot.
I am not quite "strong" to use the right muscles.

Can you advise me some exercises that could be ok for my problem?

Thank you so much

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to get out of the ab exercises. Do full body compound stuff....

Deadlifts, pushups. modified squats, etc...

There are many exercises out there that work the core without isolating.
  • FFragola
    FFragola Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to get out of the ab exercises. Do full body compound stuff....

Deadlifts, pushups. modified squats, etc...

There are many exercises out there that work the core without isolating.

I had never thought to don't isolating exercises.
    I'm still at the beginning and I have to learn a lot! :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    My neck problem connects to my traps (and rhomboids), so I can't lift a heavy barbell to do the traditional recommendations. Too much stabilization required by the upper back muscles :(

But I do have a suggestion :) When I wasn't yet used to disconnecting my neck/upper back during normal ab exercises, I took up belly dance for my core. It really, really helped and still does. Don't do the undulations yet, but check out belly rolls and pelvic (hip) work that requires tucks coming from the lower abs. The upper abs get a good workout from chest work. Both parts get hit with bellyrolls (although you aren't moving much with those unless you have heavy fat there, seriously).

I like Suhaila's Pilates DVD (but you'd need to skip her crunch-type section) for the undulation session (do bellyrolls then, where you don't move your back). Then the dance section involves pelvic tilt work where you are supposed to use your abs to do the move (called Locks). There is also a small chest part, and work on using your abs and back core to move the ribcage. All in all, it really does help the core, and the parts I'm talking about shouldn't use your neck/traps at all :) Belly dance also teaches you to disconnect and isolate muscle groups, which can be crucial with neck problems. Good luck!
  • FFragola
    Options
    My neck problem connects to my traps (and rhomboids), so I can't lift a heavy barbell to do the traditional recommendations. Too much stabilization required by the upper back muscles :(

But I do have a suggestion :) When I wasn't yet used to disconnecting my neck/upper back during normal ab exercises, I took up belly dance for my core. It really, really helped and still does. Don't do the undulations yet, but check out belly rolls and pelvic (hip) work that requires tucks coming from the lower abs. The upper abs get a good workout from chest work. Both parts get hit with bellyrolls (although you aren't moving much with those unless you have heavy fat there, seriously).

I like Suhaila's Pilates DVD (but you'd need to skip her crunch-type section) for the undulation session (do bellyrolls then, where you don't move your back). Then the dance section involves pelvic tilt work where you are supposed to use your abs to do the move (called Locks). There is also a small chest part, and work on using your abs and back core to move the ribcage. All in all, it really does help the core, and the parts I'm talking about shouldn't use your neck/traps at all :) Belly dance also teaches you to disconnect and isolate muscle groups, which can be crucial with neck problems. Good luck!

Thank you so much cafeaulait7!
    I think that your suggestions are very good!!!!!
    I've never done belly dance, but I can try! (in the worst case, I will learn to be more sexy! ;) )

Now you are able to disconnecting your neck/upper back during normal exercises? It took a long time to learn?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It took so long to figure out how to relax my neck fully while doing stuff! I think I was subconsciously protecting it because it hurt or something. The bellydance isolations came much easier (hips separate from chest, etc), but my neck was a tough one, yeah. When it flares up, I still want to scrunch up my shoulders, so it probably has to do with the pain/injury I think.

Good luck! Bellydance is really fun, too :)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Holding the Yoga Boat pose - with bent legs at first may be easier than doing a sit-up movement from the floor, because you are already in the high position. Look it up on google.

Also in this - relax your neck muscles while focussing on the core and keep your back neutral, don't round the back to hold the pose.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Reverse crunches and knee raises.
  • FFragola
    Options
    Reverse crunches and knee raises.

Reverse crunches are terrible, I have a lot of pain when I do it :(

Yesterday I try to do abs with close eyes... maybe it's a strange thingh but whit close eyes I can concentrate better to don'use the neck muscules