I just can't keep counting calories like this.

Options
I've been officially counting calories for only 5 days and it's driving me insane! I get so nervous whenever I get close to my limit, I'm always hungry, I'm driving myself up a wall trying to count calories. But I know that if I don't, I'll just eat all the time. I'm just getting major anxiety from counting calories. ):

Replies

• kmac0001
    kmac0001 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I freaked out at first too. I also had the calories set too low, so that didn't help. What is your limit?
  • DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your log just now, and your limit looks alright, I am noticing a lot of snacking throughout the day, which isn't a bad thing, but a lot of the foods are somewhat high in calories, (almonds being one of the culprits I saw, healthy, but high) try replacing those with some veggies, high in fiber which keeps you fuller longer, and typically less calories.
    ETA:
    When I'm having a hard time reaching my calories for the day, those are my go-to to boost my calories for the day. (almonds)
  • nerual13
    nerual13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome and the first few weeks are such a pain! :p Took a glance at your diary, I'd say up your protein a good bit! I found that when I lowered my carbs and added more lean protein (chicken, egg whites, etc) I found myself feeling full and more focused and just generally better.

Throw in a little exercise and you can eat a bit more or make up for little treats. It definitely takes some thinking different and some changes, but you can do it!!!!!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It gets easier and I find it less stressful if I enter the calories ahead of time. I bring my lunch and snack from home so enter them in the morning and so I already know what my calorie count is up until 5pm. I also preload supper before I eat it (when I can) and that helps. I can make adjustments.

I also agree that when I added some protein I felt better.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Get a hobby. I sincerely mean that. Especially if it'a an active one. If you fill your day with things that don't revolve around food you will find this much easier.
  • joetalk
    joetalk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    join the club hun... unfortunately there is going to be a few pains along the way, this is my 100ish attempt at this, but im sticking with it and making small changes ....each time to make more progress,

im back here again, but what i have noticed is that key things like adding more protein really makes a huge difference, be busy, not distracted, if your watching the boob tube your not busy, your body needs to be moving, and i love what some one said about enter every thing before hand,
    im now planning my entire next day's meals in advance with a few calories to spare if i choose to surprise myself, i dont eat perfect, and i am still suffering from a few days over my goal, but the key is that im doing better and better all the time, and trust me, if i can do this, anyone can.

the pains i talked about above should be those growing pains you get from change, whether its being scared of the change or if its the actual pain of your stomach shrinking because your not binge eating or maybe its your muscles cramping because you worked them out..... either way all the pains your going to go through are good, its what makes the results worth it... remember nothing worth it was ever easy :(

i dont mean to be a downer, just a realist... but the good thing, we are all going through this together and we will always be here to listen when you just need to scream at someone or the screen in front of you :)

keep up your efforts and dont forget, water, lots and lots of water... that too can help ensure your not suffering from boredom or dehydration which can often make you think your hungry

friend me if ya think you can handle me :)-

joe
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Meh, don't sweat it so much. It's not the end of the world if you're a little "over" your goal. The goal is for whatever weekly weight loss you set it for. Over a little doesn't mean you won't lose weight, especially if it's just one day!

It's a tool. I'm surprised how much I've learned just by logging everything I eat and paying a tiny bit of attention. If I quit using MFP tomorrow, I'd come a lot closer to ending the day in a good place than I would have before. You might stick it out a bit longer and just try not to stress so much, if you can. It's a tool for *you*. My trainer wanted to see my log and I said no. If he sees it he'll give me crap and I don't want to start leaving things off just because of him. It's your tool. Nobody's judging you.

Huh. You only had four glasses of water today. (I'm just kidding - "nobody's judging". Then I said... Well, if you have to explain it.)
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I too had a look at your food diary

try upping your water intake

do some form of exercise, it doesn't have to cost a lot, e.g. going for a walk at lunch times or after work, take the stairs, park your car a bit farther away, get off the bus one stop earlier. that type of thing

try veg soup, chickens salad, salads, home made coleslaw means u can add less dressing, snack on veg sticks carrots, celery, radish fruit, that sort of thing

try eating more fruit I find apples help fill me up,

try a little lemon juice and water

try staying away from too much processed foods

i think the key is planning what you are going eat and portions control, so don't cut out the things i love but have smaller amounts along with fruit and veg, weigh and measure help too

I hope this helps

stay strong keep tracking and let us know how you are getting on
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    From a look on your diary, first of all try limiting the snacks that are too high in calories. For example, a yoghurt will give you the same calories as a few chips, but it will also keep you full, when 10 chips will really not affect anything other than your calories. It will be easier on yourself if you allow e.g. one small treat per day, and try to aim for healthier stuff otherwise, as you will feel fuller.
    Second, add some exercise, it will let you eat a bit more and also get fitter.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    When I was first here I felt like I was failing because I couldn't hit the MFP goal everyday. I could go 2 or 3 days then I'd be all cranky and at odds and blow it.

Just as I was about to quit I realized that even on the days that I "blew it" I was still doing better than before I was on MFP.

I was happier much once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

As long as I stayed under the TOP OF RANGE I'd keep losing

As long as I stayed under my SAFETY VALVE i wouldn't gain.

I did this slow and steady...

I pop back here when I'm going through a rough time maintaining, but I hoping create guideline for myself so I can maintain with out logging.
  • apieceofenergy
    Options
    Drink a ton of water, set yourself on an eating schedule (for example I either eat a snack or a meal every 2 hours at work and manage to keep myself busy enough not to notice if I'm hungry at home) and you'll be okay. The first few weeks are the hardest to adjust to, you'll make it!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think it is really good to get an idea of what your maintanence calories are. Looking at your last couple of day I am pretty sure that you will still be at a deficit.

And yes, it DOES get easier.

Pre-planning helps a lot, and over time you learn how to eat in a way that satisfies you while keeping you at a deficit.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do not count calories and am successfully losing weight anyway. I do weigh myself every morning and use that number to gauge how I'm doing, and adjust food and/or exercise accordingly. My method is not as precise as calorie counting, but it does work for me.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of meals saved, and homemade recipes, too. If you save a number of foods that you eat frequently, that makes logging a lot easier.
  • Filletsteak
    Filletsteak Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of meals saved, and homemade recipes, too. If you save a number of foods that you eat frequently, that makes logging a lot easier.

Totally agree with this. I have breakfasts, soup and sandwiches, sunday roasts, quorn and quinoa meals, even gin and tonic saved. Counting calories and logging is quite hard to do if it's a new thing for you (it is for me) but you'll get used to it and learn shortcuts/substitutions/new ingredients/recipes that will help you along the way.

Stick with it - one day at a time.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    After a while it becomes habit, like brushing your teeth every day. I've been logging for over 3 years now, and on maintenance for almost 3 years. It's just a routine for me now. Nothing to stress over. And once you've built up your frequently used foods list, logging becomes super easy. Pretty soon you don't have to stress anymore because you have a general idea of how all your common food items are going to impact each day's logging. Be patient and don't give up. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sure you can if you want to be sucessful at this. It's hard on everyone at first--5 days is nothing, people are on here for years. It becomes second nature after awhile and forces you to make good choices. You're real problem is probably the choices you're making. You have to learn to eat what you like, but still hit your calorie goals. Also the people that are saying exercise are right on---MFP will up your calories right away for that day, and you guessed it , will nudge you into a healthier lifestlyle. Take it slow and you'll be glad you stayed. Things get so much easier after a couple weeks.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your food diary. Your choices are quite healthy, but your protein is very low. Try and hit over 100g a day - protein and fat help keep you full, which will help keep you from overeating.

Also, listen to your body. Does eating breakfast make you hungrier? Then skip it. Do you get tempted to snack a lot in the evenings? Then save some calories for this. Nothing says you have to eat a set 3 meals a day. Adjust your schedule to what works for you.

Also, don't get worked up about going over or getting close to your calories. They are a goal, not a limit, and unless you are going over by hundreds every day, you will still lose weight.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Some good advice given here. My advice is not to fret so much as in the UK it's suggested that women can maintain eating around 2000 calories a day so with any luck eating under that amount each day will lead to weight loss so don't worry about being over your goal for now. Re evaluate in a couple of weeks time and see if you've lost any weight.