Ah man, I need to exercise...

Options
Hi everyone - I am not quite new to exercise but i am certainly a reluctant participant. I have a gym membership which i never use, and I am always full of excuses.

I live in China, an\m pretty much the only non Asian person in there, let alone woman, big boobs and big bum. I get stared at a lot and i get self conscious.

The air is also pretty bad so exercising outside isn't advantageous. I do roller derby practice once a week for 2-3 hours, but to be honest I am one of the coaches so I am not getting as much out of it as I could and even then my body is conditioned to roller skate.

Really, i need to get off my *kitten* and do something, and stop worrying about what people think when they stare. I want to lose weight, lean up and be healthy. Thats my start point. Ideally my whole body needs a workout. Does anyone have any good suggestions to start? anything to ease me in?

Thank you!

koko x

Replies

• spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try workout dvds or videos?
  • kellogsmscott
    kellogsmscott Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is a good idea, and i need silly entertaining things so i am totally going to download and try prancersize, looks hilarious!
  • gucci_gabbana
    Options
    Girl!~~~

I understand how you feel.

I'm an American born Chinese and to them I am pretty big. I've been to China a few times over the years and I tell you, no matter what, we all get stared at with those eyes of theirs! Those are eyes of admiration and curiosity! :)

Do not worry about those stares! I would ignore them as much as possible. Remember, you got your own thing, and you do it!

In a month their stares may just turn into gaps of amazement!

In regards to motivation, I understand, I was quite sedentary for a few years.

This is my opinion, so sorry if I sound excited...

I say, don't waste your money, hit that gym and challenge your body.

Do some short, high intensity work outs that way you do not have to stay long at the gym.

I do this Fast and Furious routine on the treadmill with incline. It works out your thigh, butt and core.

I usually do this for about 20-25 minutes.

5 min 10% incline 3.5 mph
    2 min 1% incline 7 mph
    1 min 5.5% incline 3.5 mph
    2 min 2% incline 5.5 mph
    1 min 5.5% incline 3.5 mph...
    continue the pattern.
    Then I do a 5 min 5% incline 3.5 mph
    Then a cool down at 0% incline 3 mph.

After two weeks I went from 140.2 lbs to 136.2 lbs. This included slow reduction of calorie intake over 5 weeks.
    I recommend 3x a week to let your body recover. I felt great after 2 weeks emotionally, definitely those endorphins after a work out.

Hope it helps! Believe you can do it! :)
  • kellogsmscott
    Options
    Girl!~~~

I understand how you feel.

I'm an American born Chinese and to them I am pretty big. I've been to China a few times over the years and I tell you, no matter what, we all get stared at with those eyes of theirs! Those are eyes of admiration and curiosity! :)

Do not worry about those stares! I would ignore them as much as possible. Remember, you got your own thing, and you do it!

In a month their stares may just turn into gaps of amazement!

In regards to motivation, I understand, I was quite sedentary for a few years.

This is my opinion, so sorry if I sound excited...

I say, don't waste your money, hit that gym and challenge your body.

Do some short, high intensity work outs that way you do not have to stay long at the gym.

I do this Fast and Furious routine on the treadmill with incline. It works out your thigh, butt and core.

I usually do this for about 20-25 minutes.

5 min 10% incline 3.5 mph
    2 min 1% incline 7 mph
    1 min 5.5% incline 3.5 mph
    2 min 2% incline 5.5 mph
    1 min 5.5% incline 3.5 mph...
    continue the pattern.
    Then I do a 5 min 5% incline 3.5 mph
    Then a cool down at 0% incline 3 mph.

After two weeks I went from 140.2 lbs to 136.2 lbs. This included slow reduction of calorie intake over 5 weeks.
    I recommend 3x a week to let your body recover. I felt great after 2 weeks emotionally, definitely those endorphins after a work out.

Hope it helps! Believe you can do it! :)

EPIC! Thank you!

Usually i ignore them , depending on my mood. I get more stares when I am walking around with my ABC fiance. They cannot fathom a world where a white girl would want a Chinese boy. It literally blows their mind! ;)
  • gucci_gabbana
    Options
    HAHAHAHA I can totally imagine their expressions!

I used to hang out with the Germans in a group at the stations in Shanghai and the stare would go forever!

Then I get asked by the Chinese whether if they could take a picture with all of them and help them translate to the Germans at how beautiful they are, why are they here, etc etc.

I tell you, you with an ABC man is something they are truly amazed and envy a lot! ;)
  • Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't really have anything relevant to say (I'm sorry!) - but my brother-in-law is living in China at the moment and is 6'8 ... imagine the stares he's getting right now! And the 'sneaky' pictures! :bigsmile:
  • kellogsmscott
    Options
    I don't really have anything relevant to say (I'm sorry!) - but my brother-in-law is living in China at the moment and is 6'8 ... imagine the stares he's getting right now! And the 'sneaky' pictures! :bigsmile:

Haha, bless him, I totally relate to that, AND the sneaky pictures!
  • kellogsmscott
    Options
    HAHAHAHA I can totally imagine their expressions!

I used to hang out with the Germans in a group at the stations in Shanghai and the stare would go forever!

Then I get asked by the Chinese whether if they could take a picture with all of them and help them translate to the Germans at how beautiful they are, why are they here, etc etc.

I tell you, you with an ABC man is something they are truly amazed and envy a lot! ;)

I have had chinese women tell me to my face that they don't understand why we are together, as i am a "laowai" and he is "zhongren". I'm like "dude, he's a laowai too!"
  • lindseykp
    lindseykp Posts: 76
    Options
    Yes, try home workout dvd's. I am doing Turbo Fire and it's amazing!