weight loss stall

Options
hi all,
i am 43 yrs old, 5ft 2 " i currently weigh 77.4 kilo ( 171 pounds) and have lost 7 kilos in 57 days. I am only 12 kilos away from my goal weight now and i am eating strictly 1200 calories ( as per MFP) a day , sedentary ( stay at home mummy) but weight loss has slowed. I am also having problems ( for the first time in my life) with number twos :/. I used to be a regular girl once a day at a certain time ( lol) but now i am having 3-4 days at a time without doing any 'business'. I am thinking of upping my daily calorie intake from 1200 cals to 1300 cals to try n get things moving again. I should also mention i do not have a gall bladder not sure if this makes a difference but i have read somewhere it may. any thoughts.. i did start exercising ( treadmill) but i noticed this was when my weight loss started stalling so i stopped. i do weigh ( buy my meat / food in lots of 200 grams and halve it) and measure as i am someone who does have a lot of time. during the day. any suggestions re upping my intake. I should note my BMR is 1491 and my daily calorie needs ( TDEE) is 1789. Thanking you all in advance.

Replies

• fatzant
    fatzant Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi

i'm the same 5ft 2" and MFP want me to consume 1200 a day to loose a pound a week! (MFP is a meanie I LOVE FOOD) I was doing great stone and half down and now for past month I haven't really changed pound goes on, pound comes that same pound keep coming back and going!

so ill be interested to see some off you replies

all I no is that we need to keep at it!

p.s mine started when I started doing 4 intense cardio classes a week, but I want to be fit not skinny so im keeping up with my classes (not eating exercise cals back either)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    For such a small amount weightloss it will be slow. I would up your calories to around 1500 and get some more fibre in your diet. If you continue to have problems with toileting speak to a doctor. Also you have so little wiggle room between your BMR and TDEE I would start doing a little exercise
  • kjtyd
    kjtyd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1500 would be above my BMR though would that be too high?? defiitely going to resume my exercise with upping my calorie intake.. thank you for your prompt reply x
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP is not a meanie...it sets the calories based on your choices...if you choose to high a loss goal per week you are depriving yourself...not MFP.

If you only have 25lbs or less to lose choose 1/2lb, weigh your food, get enough protien and do resistence training. That stops the wobble.

As well when you start a new exercise you will often retain water/glycogen in the muscles for a few weeks.

My TDEE is 2000...I eat 1700 a day lift heavy weights, 2 HIIT routines a week and lose on average 3/4lb a week never mind the bf% lowering along with the inches going. BTW I am in my 40's as well.
  • kjtyd
    Options
    i know ....i am not giving up just a bit concerned that i maybe not actually eating enough to re kick things off etc.:smooched:
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What did you set as your goal loss per week in MFP? You don't have much to lose so lower it to 1/2 lb a week and MFP will automatically adjust your daily calorie goal. Try that for a while and see if you don't have better luck.
  • kjtyd
    Options
    hi i had my weight loss set at 1 kilo a week. if i drop it to .5 kilo it says to eat 1220
  • jd0040
    jd0040 Posts: 1
    Options
    Regarding your bathroom issue, I underwent the same change in my early forties and I have since learned to really watch and limit the type of fiber I regularly eat. Things that didn't once bind me up have that effect now such as humus, (garbonzo beans), eggs and yogurt. Spinach and other leafy greens are perhaps easier to digest. Everyone's body is different and as we age we need to learn to "listen" to it and make the appropriate changes. It'll take a little while to remove food from your diet and then introduce it again slowly to begin to figure out which foods are the culprit. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water to keep things moving. As you increase your fiber intake without plenty of water to keep things flowing you'll get clogged up in no time!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    hi i had my weight loss set at 1 kilo a week. if i drop it to .5 kilo it says to eat 1220

That is still 1lb a week...which is too much for the amount you have to lose, 0.22kg a week is about 1/2lb which is sufficent or even go as high as 0.35...
  • kjtyd
    Options
    will upping my daily calorie intake to 1300 be sufficient then to lose it but more slowly?? or should i go in and adjust my goals to .25 in order to find out how much i should have?? Thank you
  • autumnsummersgregory
    Options
    I had almost the same problem. My physician suggested rotating between lower-calorie and higher-calorie days. He said this tricks your body and prevents it from going into starvation mode, making it a little easier to get the weight off.
  • kjtyd
    Options
    funny you say that as i also follow the 5/ 2 diet and was thinking i could use this if ever i 'plateau'd' have been hesitant though to do so as this has been working for me quite well up until recently. thanks for your advice.. much appreciated x
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am stalling too.. I have lost .5lbs since Christmas despite eating 1200 cals and exercising. I eat back these burnt cals etc.

I have adjusted my goal to losing .5lbs a week which at this point would be wonderful. I also have lowered my cardio workouts in favour of strength training. I have read that this can effect the number on the scales but will help me become leaner and firm up those problem areas.

As I near my goal weight I will allow myself 6 months to reach my goal.. Slow and steady.. I am feeling lighter and more energetic so the benefits of my journey are evident already. Keep going. But know that it will be slow
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I don't want to take anything away from that achievement by my response.

I'm in my 40's too, and when I first started MFP about a year ago my settings were to lose a pound a week and that I was sedentary. (Like you I'm a Mom and how can we characterize anything about motherhood in that way!!!!! :noway: ) :laugh: I lost 12 pounds very rapidly. (Obviously, because I was in an unsustainable and detrimental calorie deficit.)

Detrimental because it is my understanding…and I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong but your BMR is calorie expenditure at rest…simply what your organs need...like in a coma.

I changed my settings to Lightly Active, lose .5 lbs per week, added weight training (for sexy muscle definition) and I eat most, if not all of my exercise calories back because my goal is to continue to lose body fat. The "stall" that I had going has changed to slow but steady weight loss.

Also, it was recommended to me to take measurements, pictures and judge how your clothes feel on you. Sometimes the scale won't change but those measurements will.

Regarding constipation…up your fiber, stay hydrated and exercise regularly. How's the flora and fauna in your gut? Have you been taking antibiotics lately? A probiotic, like Align, helped me and was doctor recommended.

I'd encourage you to reset your fitness goals and try it for 4-6 weeks and then reevaluate. :flowerforyou:
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    You should probably incorporate physical activity into your routine, and a lot of fiber and plenty of liquids. Try having fiber like psyllium husk with 2 cups of water (never without the water). Exercise will obviously help with the weight loss, and also get things moving in there.