What are you reading?

Options
Jollybeard
Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
Let's have a book thread … I'm looking for recommendations. Tell me what you are reading and include a comment about what you like or dislike about it:

- Gateway (Fredrick Pohl) - It's okay. Old school science fiction that mixes space exploration, ancient alien civilizations, and the lottery.

- Battle Royale (Koushun Takami) - It's good. Think of it as a japanese version of Lord of the Flies or the Hunger Games with some fairly obvious but engaging lessons about brutality and morality.

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    LOL.. TRIED to read "The power of six" to someone earlier.
    Unsure if they want me to finish it or not XD
  • Jollybeard
    Options
    LOL … I haven't read it, but I'm guessing that you were trying to read it to someone in the intended age group and s/he may not be fully invested in the idea of a book without pictures?

For what it's worth, I've been reading books from Jeanne DuPrau's _Book of Ember_ series. The first two (_City of Ember_, _People of Sparks_) are quite good and engaging for my seven year old. The third is a total dud (_The Prophet of Yonwood_). We just started the fourth book (_The Diamond of Darkhold_) last night.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I just finished Horns by Joe Hill. Now I'm reading The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker for the millionth time.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers By Mary Roach

"Stiff is an oddly compelling, often hilarious exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers some willingly, some unwittingly have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. In this fascinating account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries and tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them."

~ The Book Depository
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    John Dies at the End by David Wong. It is freaking hilarious!
  • Enkeli88
    Enkeli88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The Wind-up Bird Chronicle (Haruki Murakami) - It's quite good, if a slightly unusual writing style. 1Q84, by the same author, is also worth reading; a slightly surreal, but interesting, sci-fi set in 1980s Japan.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Invisible Foxes - Eddie Mumford

I like it because it has gritty stories and characters. It also has a unique style: switching between a narrative and a character's blog.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Currently reading Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman. I'm enjoying this book because it's entertaining and thought-provoking and Piper seems like such a genuinely nice and grounded person. However, after hearing friends talk about the TV series by the same name (based loosely on her book) I was expecting to howl with laughter from beginning to end and the book's really not like that at all.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
    A similarity to his fathers (Stephen King) writing.
    I am a little over 1/2 through and enjoying it.
    This is the first book I have read by him. I will look for his other books. I hope they are as good!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    The Ringing Cedar Series

life changing
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    LOL … I haven't read it, but I'm guessing that you were trying to read it to someone in the intended age group and s/he may not be fully invested in the idea of a book without pictures?

Uhh.. Does "Grown *kitten* man" count as an age group? hahahah
    I feel like such an idiot for getting annoyed at the made up words in the book and the Spanish names that I wasn't sure how to even pronounce lol. Not to mention church-related stuff. The first chapter.. -shakes head-
  • Jollybeard
    Options
    The Wind-up Bird Chronicle (Haruki Murakami) - It's quite good, if a slightly unusual writing style. 1Q84, by the same author, is also worth reading; a slightly surreal, but interesting, sci-fi set in 1980s Japan.

Loved Wind-up Bird Chronicle, but had a hard time getting into 1Q84. I made it a couple of hundred pages in and my attention just wandered. It's the first Murakami book that I haven't finished, and I'm not sure why it is. It's not like his other books are any less surreal.