Weight loss on deprovera shot ?

Options
I am currently on the deprovera shot and was wondering if anyone has had any problems loosing weight while on this injection? Ive heard you can gain weight on it but dont know the situation regarding losing weight while on this shot?:)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Nope....I am currently on the shot after using a hormonal IUD for 7 years...

Birth control does not make you gain weight....an excess of calories does.

to lose weight you need to be in a reasonable calorie deficet...that's it...

I am going to add tho that BC (shot and others) can "increase appetite"...you just have to be aware of that and know that it will pass within a few days/weeks.
  • JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the very same thing! I got the shot in late December, I had no problem losing weight in januray (lost 10lb over the month) but February was terrible, only lost 3 pounds in the whole month despite sticking to 1200 cals per day and working out cardio 4 times per week. I can see real changes in my body through the exercise but the scales are staying the same.

I don't know if it's the shot, muscle gain or just hitting a plataeu but I'm really frustrated!

I've actually been told to eat more and make sure I don't net under 1200 on the days I'm exercising, so I'm going to try this for a few weeks and see....if that doesn't work I will have to seriously thinking about whether or not to get the next shot!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Tried it for 9 months and lost weight. I was actively dieting and using MFP so if I are any excess calories I would have know it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the very same thing! I got the shot in late December, I had no problem losing weight in januray (lost 10lb over the month) but February was terrible, only lost 3 pounds in the whole month despite sticking to 1200 cals per day and working out cardio 4 times per week. I can see real changes in my body through the exercise but the scales are staying the same.

I don't know if it's the shot, muscle gain or just hitting a plataeu but I'm really frustrated!

I've actually been told to eat more and make sure I don't net under 1200 on the days I'm exercising, so I'm going to try this for a few weeks and see....if that doesn't work I will have to seriously thinking about whether or not to get the next shot!

It's neither...you can't gain muscle on a deficet and the shot doesn't make you hold or gain weight...

If you don't weigh your food and measure you liquids you are probably eating more than you think.

Not sure who told you to eat more but it's BS...buy a digital food scale, weigh your food and eat a reasonable deficet...
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

If you're working out that much and only eating 1200 calories, I would suggest focusing on that and not blaming the DEPO shot.
  • BlakeKellyD
    BlakeKellyD Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I heard while on the shot it's normal to gain at least 8lbs a year average, most of the time more...my Dr just tried talking me into it yesterday..I laughed at her, LOL. Everyone that I know that's used the shot has been very big, but 1 friend of mine, without trying real hard, is on it & lost a lot of weight. So while the odds MIGHT be stacked against you, if you count calories, exercise regularly & take it seriously, I've got no doubt in my mind you'll be able to lose weight.

The only thing that you could do that wouldn't help you lose weight, is not trying. So give it your all..no matter what medicines or birth control you might be on. Also maybe look into vitamins? I take some regularly now & have done my most weight loss while using them! I feel great too. Definitely worth a talk with your Dr about to figure out what works best for you. I know I feel great using them. :) Best of luck! <3
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have been on the shot for well over a year and have not had any weight gain from it. As long as you keep your calories in check you will be fine.
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have been on DEPO shot for almost 3 years. I have had no problem losing weight on it. I actually lost 60 pounds in 2012-2013, however have gained 15 pounds back.

I will say, I do notice that I have an increase in appetite, especially when the 3 month marks hits and I'm due for my shot and it sometimes follows for another week. I also have noticed that one week out of the month I become hungry and have an increased appetite. It's usually around the time that my sister/mother/friend are on their cycle.

I would just start charting it and if your having problems talk to your doctor about it.

When I do have an increased appetite, I try to up my exercise for the day.
  • JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

It's neither...you can't gain muscle on a deficet and the shot doesn't make you hold or gain weight...

If you don't weigh your food and measure you liquids you are probably eating more than you think.

Not sure who told you to eat more but it's BS...buy a digital food scale, weigh your food and eat a reasonable deficet...

I weigh and measure absolutely every little thing on a digital scale I eat and am recording every thing on mfp actually!