Question about BMR and reducing calorie intake

Options
Hey so since starting using the app I've lost 6kgs so my BMR has changed. After re-calculating it MFP says that it is only 1266.

At the moment I eat around 1300 calories a day and exercise about four days a week. But for the days when I don't exercise I don't want to be over-eating/eating more than the BMR.

So that would mean I would have to have a defecit on the BMR and 1266 is already a low number. Should I just be eating 1200 calories which would only mean a defecit of 66 or should I just keep eating the 1300 calories?

Ahhh it's all very confusing so thanks to anyone that can help

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a number that has a deficit in it already without exercise. Say if you put it to lose 1lb a week and MFP gave you 1266 calories to eat, that number already has a 500 calorie deficit. So eating 1200 is not going to give you a deficit of 66, it will give you a 566 caloric deficit if you put it to lose 1lb a week. When you exercise you burn more calories, making your deficit bigger, so eat back those exercise calories. Too much of anything is not good for you, including too much of a deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey so since starting using the app I've lost 6kgs so my BMR has changed. After re-calculating it MFP says that it is only 1266.

At the moment I eat around 1300 calories a day and exercise about four days a week. But for the days when I don't exercise I don't want to be over-eating/eating more than the BMR.

So that would mean I would have to have a defecit on the BMR and 1266 is already a low number. Should I just be eating 1200 calories which would only mean a defecit of 66 or should I just keep eating the 1300 calories?

Ahhh it's all very confusing so thanks to anyone that can help

no, you shouldnt eat less than your BRM, you are confusing it with TDEE...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    More importantly.... What have your results been?
    Losing weight slowly? Feeling like you have enough energy? Not feeling too restricted?

These are the more important factors rather than fussing about estimates and calculators. You are better off adjusting your calorie intake based on personal results. You don't have much to lose so worth thinking about reducing your deficit if you are dropping weight quickly.

(By the way don't think you have grasped the difference between BMR and TDEE.)
  • annamariecoldman
    Options
    Hi I need help.. I've been told that my BMR is 1500 kcal a day. I'm not losing any weight! :(